SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-22-10, 07:33 PM   #1
ShadowOps
Mate

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 0
Not Working!

I have been playing Silent Hunter 4 with U-Boat missions without problems for a while now, but recently I cannot get U-Boat missions to work. I have no problem with SH4 but I just cannot get U-Boat missions to work no matter what I try. I have tried reinstalling U-Boat missions and defragging the game files but nothing works! I still have the saves from it but even if I launch U-Boat missions instead of SH4 (because if U-Boat missions is installed even launching the regular game will make it active) I still get just the regular game without the add on.

The only thing I havent tried is a full reinstall but I REALLY hope it doesnt come to that because the stupid game takes all day to install on Steam! Plus I JUST installed it again YESTERDAY!!

EDIT: Actually that leads me to another question, how do you delete saves? I know its kind of a stupid question but I cant figure it out.

Last edited by ShadowOps; 12-22-10 at 07:34 PM. Reason: remembered another question and didnt want to make a new thread
ShadowOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 02:07 PM   #2
ShadowOps
Mate

Nevermind the last question, I figured out how to save. The other question still stands though.
Old 12-26-10, 12:49 PM   #3
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

got it to work by now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOps View Post
...even if I launch U-Boat missions instead of SH4...
Not sure if I understand this bit? You launch UBM by calling same sh4.exe and choose german career once it's loaded...

The Steam version is known to cause many issues - if you can afford it, the Gold Edition is highly recommended. And worth every penny...
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 09:24 AM   #4
Takao
Officer

Downloads: 1

Dosen't Steam allow you to somehow check the to make sure all the files are good, IIRC, it is verify file integrity or some such. You might want to try that.

Also, are you running any mods? Since that might also cause Steam to go crazy.
Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 01:53 PM   #5
otto0713
Nub

Downloads: 450
Deleting saved games in SH4-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOps View Post
I have been playing Silent Hunter 4 with U-Boat missions without problems for a while now, but recently I cannot get U-Boat missions to work. I have no problem with SH4 but I just cannot get U-Boat missions to work no matter what I try. I have tried reinstalling U-Boat missions and defragging the game files but nothing works! I still have the saves from it but even if I launch U-Boat missions instead of SH4 (because if U-Boat missions is installed even launching the regular game will make it active) I still get just the regular game without the add on.

The only thing I havent tried is a full reinstall but I REALLY hope it doesnt come to that because the stupid game takes all day to install on Steam! Plus I JUST installed it again YESTERDAY!!

EDIT: Actually that leads me to another question, how do you delete saves? I know its kind of a stupid question but I cant figure it out.

To Delete a saved campaign starting point -
Start any saved campaign-and run it up-
Then escape to save game
type in anything you want- Then hit the backspace button-
at this point a delete option pops up
choose the file or files you want to delete one at a time...
otto0713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 06:30 PM   #6
ShadowOps
Mate

@Jan Kyster
Thats the thing, when I launch sh4 I dont even have the option to play the German campaign, it doesnt recognize the add-on, it acts like its not even there.

@Takao
There is a feature like that on Steam. That was the first thing I tried and it didnt work, no matter how I tried to do it. When it started the only mod I was running was the USS N. Carolina mod (I forget who made it). It just crashed after a certain point and then it started.

@otto0713
I know, I mentioned in the post after that I figured out how to delete saves.
Old 01-01-11, 02:27 PM   #7
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

For a test: try renaming your documents\sh4-folder and run game.

If still no success, then try a clean sweep. Un-install everything and delete (or rename) your documents\sh4-folder.

Reboot and then try installing with admin rights: right-click exe file and choose "Run as Admin"...
Old 01-02-11, 06:30 PM   #8
ShadowOps
Mate

Thanks for trying to help Jan Kyster but I just uninstalled it last night. If it still doesnt work I will try what you said.
Old 01-03-11, 12:00 AM   #9
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

For future reference, please let us know the outcome!

Fingers crossed...
Old 01-03-11, 06:29 PM   #10
ShadowOps
Mate

Well I wiped every little bit of Silent Hunter 4 off of my computer, saves and all. I reinstalled and it works well, along with U-Boat Missions.
Old 01-03-11, 10:33 PM   #11
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Peace at last! Ready for War!

Great you got it sorted! I'm sure it was your data-folder, that caused the trouble.

A tiny tip: don't touch that working install anymore. And first thing: burn it onto a DVD. Just in case...

Now for every major mod you want to use, copy your entire install folder to a new location and name the folder as you like. "SH4 - TMO", "SH4 - OM", etc.
Now copy the little utility Multi-Sh4 into each SH4.exe folder and run it once for making the install use it's own data-folder.
Default folder for standard SH4 is documents\SH4, so you may want your OM install to use documents\SHO, TMO to use documents\SHT and so on.

That way you can run as many SHIV installs as you like and they will never "collide" with each other.

Hope that made sense?
Old 01-04-11, 09:43 PM   #12
ShadowOps
Mate

I would have to get a flash drive with the other installs of the game. I use my laptop for my gaming and I need to conserve space. Honestly though I rarely ever get any mods other than radio mods for sh4. sh3 is the one I have modded beyond belief, and it works like a charm so no need to do that. Thanks for the tip though, I will remember that in case I do decide to get any mods.
Old 01-04-11, 09:44 PM   #13
ShadowOps
Mate

And yes, it made sense.
Old 01-05-11, 10:00 PM   #14
dwolfe55
Swabbie

Downloads: 10
Default uboat missions

my game crashes when i try to run uboat missions,iv'e gave up i tried everthing ,it also say's that the cab file doesn't match the one ,that the game has in stalled in SH4, when ia'm loading the 1.5 patch ,what gives with 1.5 alot of problems ,someone needs to look at that patch 1.5,Dave i'am just running 1.4 until they fix that problem
dwolfe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 03:20 AM   #15
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolfe55 View Post
my game crashes when i try to run uboat missions,iv'e gave up i tried everthing ,it also say's that the cab file doesn't match the one ,that the game has in stalled in SH4, when ia'm loading the 1.5 patch ,what gives with 1.5 alot of problems ,someone needs to look at that patch 1.5,Dave i'am just running 1.4 until they fix that problem
"They"?

Stay prepared for a l-o-n-g wait, skipper!

And "Cab-file"???

What version do you have besides being v1.4 - is it a Steam version?

And did you delete the documents\sh4 folder before installing UBM?

A sidenote - if your time salery is more than $1 then you should spare yourself for all the trouble and simply order a SH4 Gold Edition DVD once and for all.