SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-08, 12:55 PM   #1
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Uploads: 0
Default could it have been this instead of this ??

Iam Avid fan of sh3 with gwx add on ,, However German subs in the pacific ?. iam sure that there were a few .. Again if there was a option 2 be had , why couldnt it be a japanese sub ? after all its in the pacific !!

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 01:07 PM   #2
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Yeah. We asked that question and many others months ago when we heard about the impending release. This is the marketing decision that was made, and there isn't much that can be done about it now besides some clever modding. U-Boats are the bigger draw moneywise, I guess.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 05:16 PM   #3
peewee
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 32

Jap subs would have to be modelled from scratch, which would have meant a lot more development, which would have meant less profit....or a much higher price for the add on......u boats have already been modelled.......'nuff said...
peewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 08:19 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Just remember

The add-on we buy today finances to good stuff for the future. If we don't have exactly what we want now, we will, so long as we support the company that makes it. Remember that Ubi doesn't just want to sell more stuff to existing customers, they want to bring new people into the mix.

And try the U-Boat missions: they're a lot of fun! And remember that the Atlantic campaign in SH3 is far from historical, as it makes no provision at all for centralized control of U-Boat activity or for wolfpack action. What is a wolf without the pack? Just a house dog. So we can't get on our high horse and demand historical perfection.

And what is historical perfection? Is it better served by the stock game with brainless Japanese AI bringing the low casualties historical statistics show? Then we get gun battles with DDs, shooting dozens of airplanes with AA guns, all kinds of cowboy behavior that just didn't happen in the real war. Why didn't they happen? Because our men in war were afraid, that's why?

Tater argues that historical accuracy should be considered historical player behavior. Because we aren't afraid for our lives, more danger than normal is necessary to make us behave historically. I believe Trigger Maru is more historical than the stock game or RFB for that reason.

All I can suggest is to quit scoffing and give SH4UBM a try! At least there a lone U-Boat makes sense. The devs went way out on a limb here, stretching the boundaries. I think they have a winner here. And the profits will finance the next step.

Will it be U-Boats in the Atlantik? British or Dutch subs? Or will they surprise us again? I can't wait to find out.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 11:51 PM   #5
brett25
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 570

the addon is great fun. It does take a bit of geting used to seeing the deck crew in shorts and tee shirts after playing SH3! But yeah, the Germans seemed to be everywhere during 41-43, including the pacific. ITs kind of weird seeing the Japanese and Germans together, I must admit, but I think that shows my lack of knowledge of the pacific theatre. And now theres a great mod to give them back their German voices from SH3. Is good to suport the company in their efforts too.
brett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 05:32 AM   #6
Bewolf
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett25
the addon is great fun. It does take a bit of geting used to seeing the deck crew in shorts and tee shirts after playing SH3! But yeah, the Germans seemed to be everywhere during 41-43, including the pacific. ITs kind of weird seeing the Japanese and Germans together, I must admit, but I think that shows my lack of knowledge of the pacific theatre. And now theres a great mod to give them back their German voices from SH3. Is good to suport the company in their efforts too.
Some U boats used for cargo hauling and some commerce raiders were active in the Pacific, that's it. The addon really is not about the Pacific, but the Indian Ocean, a much neglected theatre where a few boats were indeed active. I think this is the first time I have ever seen a game simulating the U boat battles in the indian ocean. Much love to the devs highlighting this area.

So we have two of the three Oceans covered now. The most epic one has yet to be done. Most probably by modders.
Old 03-17-08, 06:30 AM   #7
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 203

You know, I wouldnt really be interested in playing as a Japanese sub much. You didnt really hear of them being used as they should and getting much success (apart from one sinking a carrier)

Although, I probably wouldnt pass up the chance to have a go in one of those submarine aircraft carriers :hmm:
Old 03-17-08, 06:58 AM   #8
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewolf
The addon really is not about the Pacific, but the Indian Ocean, a much neglected theatre where a few boats were indeed active.
41 German Uboats were active in the Indian Ocean, U 862 of them was the only one operating in the Pacific.
Seeadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 04:22 PM   #9
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed
U-Boats are the bigger draw moneywise, I guess.
Yup. It's all about having a paycheck. In order to get paycheck, they have to produce what they think will sell. Uboats have been dramatized, glorified, and lionized to such a high degree - that sales are a sure bet.

In terms of alternate theaters; Personnaly, id like to see a British sub sim in the atlantic or mediterranian.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 04:28 PM   #10
scrag
Medic

Downloads: 6
Default Royal Navy and IJN

Not really as hard as one would expect but I agree both the Brits and IJN are long neglected in regards to Submarine Sims. Looking at the level of effort for the U-Boat add on there is no reason now that a further expansion pack that would allow the IJN to appear or for that matter the UK. BTW the Indian Ocean had both U and I boats operating there (the I Boats were actuallly fairly successful)
Old 03-17-08, 06:04 PM   #11
Lagger123987
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 323
Uploads: 4

I would like to see an IJN subsim, anyone want the keys to I-168, I-58, and I-400?
Old 03-17-08, 07:26 PM   #12
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrag
Looking at the level of effort for the U-Boat add on there is no reason now that a further expansion pack that would allow the IJN to appear or for that matter the UK.
Ever hear of those trivial little matters like, um...time, money, research, new voice acting, new crew models, etc., etc.?

For the ten-billionth time, adding U-boats to SH4 was the most economical thing to do because of course they were already there in SH3.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 07:33 PM   #13
SuperCavitation
Loader

Downloads: 0

Look at the bright side... at least there isnt a "Destroyer Hunter" pack this time around.

*shudders*

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast. For I intend to go in harm's way." - Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, in a letter to le Ray de Chaumont.
SuperCavitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 08:17 PM   #14
scrag
Medic

Downloads: 6
Default Ten- Billionth????? ROFL

Weird comment
"Ever hear of those trivial little matters like, um...time, money, research, new voice acting, new crew models, etc., etc.?

For the ten-billionth time, adding U-boats to SH4 was the most economical thing to do because of course they were already there in SH3."

Though I am not totally certain the retouching of those old graphics for this game is unlikely as they seemed to not look like SHIII but who cares about details like that anyway. But since the thread was Whoopie fricken dooo, speculative and as such it is HOPED that SOMEONE might get the idea that there is a market for this (just as obscure as the BS market that UBISOFT believes exist for oh I don't know, make believe U-Boats in Hi FRICKEN Ho the Pacific.

Perhaps you might bother yourself with small details like READING the thread title and iniital thoughts vice running off at the finger tips. Typical skimmer running around and going Active without a clue.....
LOL (All in good fun)!!!!!
Old 03-17-08, 08:24 PM   #15
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 203

*raises periscope in this thread*