SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-09, 12:25 PM   #1
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Default IE8 Released

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...3-f581977282a8
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 05:46 PM   #2
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Hey thanks Warhawk for the heads up. I'm rather traumatized by IE. Will this IE 8 be safer than the latest Firefox 3.07? If not I'm not going to use it. Using IE 7.0 even without visiting suspiciously dangerous sites somehow hijackers managed to install hijacking IE add-on to my IE compromising my PC.
Old 03-19-09, 06:58 PM   #3
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I do not think any of the search engines/browsers are safe really. From what I understand, FF is more user friendly in respect of being able to use applications or creating application. I use FF at work for a particular program that IE would not let one create. Personally I like IE and have used it for years without any issues. I was just posting it up for those that like IE. I will stick with IE7 for a while longer before installing. I tried that Apple Safari for a few weeks. It is neat but I did not find it as fast as IE. I have not used Chrome
Old 03-19-09, 08:12 PM   #4
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Then have you tried HijackThis application to scan for hijacked setting in your PC? If you use IE7 regularly I bet there are at least a few hijacked setting from the IE 7.0 exploit. After scanning use the automated analyzer. Just google HijackThis automated analyzer to send the scan result. I know there is no a 100% secure browser but I'm looking for the least risky and the most secured. I've downloaded IE8.0 and installed it but haven't tried them for fear of hijacking add-on being installed into my PC through IE.
Old 03-20-09, 09:10 AM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I have not heard of hijacking. I don't know. I frequent regular sits and that is about it for me. I will look into this hijacking deal.
Old 03-27-09, 03:02 AM   #6
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Tried IE8 few days ago. Experienced very slow performance. IE8 takes about 3-4 seconds to open after hitting the icon another 3 to start loading the page. I was monitoring this without any anti-spyware software installed. Read ppl who were using Spybot had even prolonged IE8 functionality. Not good at all. Had to roll back to IE7 for now.
Old 03-27-09, 10:45 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I will hang around in silence and listen to feedback for a while, using IE7.

Regarding security, I must say for me it has been exactly the other way around like Castout said - for me always FF was the troublemaker, and needing far more treatement to tailor it the way you want it to be, than IE - always assuming you use Ie at highest settings. If you compromise your security settings, than I assume all of the avialable browser collect you a lot of malware like a Hoover collects dust.

Be smart, guys, use the firewall inside your brain. Don't visit everything and don't click on everything just because there is a blinking light. "I want it all and I want it now" just gets you into trouble sooner or later - only a question of time.
Old 03-27-09, 10:46 AM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I tried IE8 a few months back, the only problem I experienced was with some of my CMS tools, the forum screens would go a little whacky. Probably because the CMS was written when IE6 was king