SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-08-16, 06:30 PM   #1
Lato79
Watch

Downloads: 88
Uploads: 0
Default RFB over ISP crew compartments?

Hi! Just looking for opinions on which mod offers the more realistic crew compartment configurations between RFB and ISP as they are both quite different, with the reduced numbers and special skills of ISP and the somewhat less detailed aspect of RFB. I have both running at the same time but noticed a big difference after installing ISP. Also it seems it has changed the map configuration back to that of the stock game. With map symbols etc returning. Would installing ISP first cause problems? I'm thinking of ditching ISP as I'm a big fan of RFB and don't like the alterations.
TMO Plot
Bigger Better Protractors.
Lato79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 07:13 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

You're probably stuck with uninstalling ISP then. Installing ISP first then RFB over it would be a train wreck. Supermods always install first then other mods that modify it.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 08:29 PM   #3
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

That is super weird about the map changing. ISP shouldn't change the map at all. It changes the ship silhouettes/contacts on the map, restoring them where RFB removed them, but not the actual map.
Old 02-09-16, 04:57 AM   #4
Lato79
Watch

Downloads: 88
Uploads: 0

My mistake I should have been clearer. Yes I do mean the map contacts and symbols. Not the actual map itself. But I think I'm going to ditch ISP for good.
TMO Plot
Bigger Better Protractors.
Lato79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 05:02 AM   #5
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lato79 View Post
My mistake I should have been clearer. Yes I do mean the map contacts and symbols. Not the actual map itself. But I think I'm going to ditch ISP for good.
Oh, in that case, you can just put http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4770 and you will get the black dots instead of ship images if that is closer to what you want.
Old 02-09-16, 11:15 AM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I have not made an RFB plotting mod so far, simply because I hate RFB's system ("Hey, all the contacts vanished!!!" "Sir, you're standing too close to the plotting table, back off three feet and you get the diamond contact marks back") because it's just a complete travesty. Better just to go into the options and turn all map contacts off.

Then Ubi (without snickering, mind you) had the unmitigated gall to call these "realism settings." It's like having a realism setting for a driving game where you have a paper bag over your head. You lose the value of the radar, sonar....it's a difficulty setting but realism doesn't live there. Real sub captains have plotting teams. They plot all visual, radar and sonar data on the map so the captain can use the information to make good decisions. No submarine captain in history ever conned his submarine with a paper bag over his head. "Realism setting" Don't make me barf!

But is wouldn't be difficult at all to make an RFBPlot mod, which would layer on top of ISP to restore RFB's very.......interesting.......(retch) plotting system.

Don't worry, I was equally negative when they were developing the abomination. It was why I developed TMOPlot and EZPlot (don't use that, use EZPlot 2 which is compatible with ALL MODS. People weren't happy.

If you just want plotting positions as position dots, it's TMOPlot you want. If you want ship silhouettes back you want EZPlot 2.0. Both are links in my signature. If enough people demand RFBPlot I'll be glad to make it. But this is the first thread in five years where somebody had anything nice to say about the RFB plotting system.

On the drawing board is an intermediate plotting system between stock and TMO where you have silhouettes but they are the same small silhouette for each type of contact. Don't know whether it will be a small boat silhouette or an arrowhead--haven't got that far yet. The idea is to have slightly more information than a position dot but not let you ID the target or get course and speed from the plot.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 02-09-16 at 11:22 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 04:55 PM   #7
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I have not made an RFB plotting mod so far, simply because I hate RFB's system ("Hey, all the contacts vanished!!!" "Sir, you're standing too close to the plotting table, back off three feet and you get the diamond contact marks back") because it's just a complete travesty. Better just to go into the options and turn all map contacts off.

Then Ubi (without snickering, mind you) had the unmitigated gall to call these "realism settings." It's like having a realism setting for a driving game where you have a paper bag over your head. You lose the value of the radar, sonar....it's a difficulty setting but realism doesn't live there. Real sub captains have plotting teams. They plot all visual, radar and sonar data on the map so the captain can use the information to make good decisions. No submarine captain in history ever conned his submarine with a paper bag over his head. "Realism setting" Don't make me barf!

But is wouldn't be difficult at all to make an RFBPlot mod, which would layer on top of ISP to restore RFB's very.......interesting.......(retch) plotting system.

Don't worry, I was equally negative when they were developing the abomination. It was why I developed TMOPlot and EZPlot (don't use that, use EZPlot 2 which is compatible with ALL MODS. People weren't happy.

If you just want plotting positions as position dots, it's TMOPlot you want. If you want ship silhouettes back you want EZPlot 2.0. Both are links in my signature. If enough people demand RFBPlot I'll be glad to make it. But this is the first thread in five years where somebody had anything nice to say about the RFB plotting system.

On the drawing board is an intermediate plotting system between stock and TMO where you have silhouettes but they are the same small silhouette for each type of contact. Don't know whether it will be a small boat silhouette or an arrowhead--haven't got that far yet. The idea is to have slightly more information than a position dot but not let you ID the target or get course and speed from the plot.
I wish there was a happy medium somewhere because even the best ship crew couldn't say "Captain! Contact at 6000.343245224534534 yards! Now he is at 60000.12349878721213733209 yards!" for every millisecond or when you are in periscope view, you are the only one seeing the contact, the tracking party should only be tracking by the information that you give, because you are the only one that sees it.

Only the best sonar operators could tell range from sound, you have to ping it to get range. The sonar lines should be much shorter or maybe just used to show direction and not a rough range.

Oh well, I guess we can only wiggle with the room the game engine gave us.

I'm working on a mod that keeps aircraft contacts on because I like to play with map contacts off, but I just can't stand it when the radar operator can't tell between a ship and an airplane! I have to stop every two minutes and check the radar and by then the airplane is in visual range. Maybe I will add a hydrophone line tweak as well.

Also, maybe I am wrong, but I thought that the early aircraft radar couldn't tell direction, just that something was there? But they still show up on the map to track just like the late radar that could track aircraft.