SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-06, 12:34 AM   #1
SirWilliam
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default SC: Novice Level question

Finally got the game working, set everything to novice with all stations auto crew. I'm finding that, at least in the initial campaign mission, it is impossible for the sonar auto crew to ID targets or even to display on the map where they are consistently, they can just jump back and forth to positions 10k yards apart and even when the voice suddenly says "Mission cannot be completed" because I'm too close to one of the FFG's, they never even show up anywhere near 8k yards. Even when visually looking at something in the periscope it can suddenly change to something else altogether I'm finding. Is this normal for this game?

Is the game just unplayable with auto sonar crew? If so this isn't the game for me, I didn't want the game "Sonarman" heh, there's a reason they have special schools for that rate!

-SW
SirWilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 03:15 AM   #2
Linton
Sea Lord

This does not sound right at all.The autocrew is usually reliable but does need a little pushing sometimes.Are you playing with time compression on.This will make targets jump around.
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 06:28 AM   #3
Fish
Eternal Patrol

And do you have the latest patch (108) ?
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 09:00 PM   #4
SirWilliam
Swabbie

Well I have used the time compression but only in short bursts. Perhaps I'll try again without using it at all. As for the patch, yes I do have 1.08.

Thanks for the replies, good to hear this isn't normal for the game, I'll give it another go shortly...

edit: BTW what do you mean Linton by "pushing" the autocrew? I have experimented with hitting the selectors for sphere/hull/towed, changing course/depth, and streaming/retracting the towed array, all in an effort to goad the auto crew into getting a more accurate fix, is this the kind of thing I should be doing?

Last edited by SirWilliam; 06-09-06 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 05:05 PM   #5
Linton
Sea Lord

What I meant by pushing the auto crew is manually moving the index at the top of the narrowband and broadband displays and encouraging the autocrew to designate it as a contact.
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 10:01 AM   #6
Nexus7
Commander

Downloads: 2

Sonar autocrew wont tell you what it needs even if you don't supply him with it.

If you are in shallow waters and stream the TA but the TA touches the bottom it's like not deploying it.

If you maneuver a lot your TMA crew won't be able to generate a solid solution also.

Question, did you see Sierra(S##) contacts only or was the autocrew able to build some master (M##) contacts? Because almost always a master contact position is very close to the true position, with aTMA on.
Old 06-14-06, 01:46 PM   #7
SirWilliam
Swabbie

Ah well I have been able to get a (very) few master contacts, however the vast majority seem to be S. Also even though I stay deep and keep my speed low, in the Seawolf I always hear "torpedo in the water" before I ever detect the Victor III that always seems to kill me, heh.

Just need more practice I guess!
Old 06-14-06, 05:03 PM   #8
Nexus7
Commander

Downloads: 2

I guess it's time you start to doing the sonarman job yourself then