Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-17-07, 04:25 PM   #1
Ishmael
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0
Default November is National Novel Writing Month

Yes, boys and girls, November IS National Novel Writing Month. In honor of the occaision, I've joined the NANOWRIMO website at:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. So I am using this opportunity to get off my dead ass and finish Tales of the Inadvertent Pacifist by Dec. 1. The story will cover from my Dad's childhood in 1930's San Francisco, through the war years, ending when he meets and marries my Mom in 1948. If there is any interest, I'll post further excerpts here or the whole damn thing if you're interested. If not, it'll also be posted at the above site, my award-winning writing/critique group at:

http://groups.msn.com/UniversalWritersGroup

or on my myspace blog you can reach from the link in my sig below. Wish me luck everybody. I'm Ishmael1 at Nanowrimo
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 04:32 PM   #2
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

Being a wanna-be writer myself, this looks interesting! I will certainly check your story out.
Old 10-17-07, 04:35 PM   #3
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Not wishing to be picky, but if you write about your father's life from 1930 up until he gets married, that would be a biography, not a novel.

50,000 words in 30 days divides to 1666.666 word per day, so perhaps a satanic-themed novel might be better choice! On a more serious note, while that isn't actually a lot of words per day (I used to have to write far more than that a day when I was a hack for a newspaper, that figure being roughly equivalent to how many words there were on a page of the newspaper with maybe one picture), it nevertheless doesn't leave a lot of time for planning the structure and proofing it plus re-writing bits you don't like, which is of course what really takes up the time, rather than the initial churning it out. So I hope this is one you've had in your head for a while, otherwise, it might be a tall order to write something of that length which reads well.

Best of luck with it.

Chock
Old 10-17-07, 04:59 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Hehe, 15 years ago I "published" an extensive ST novel in the european fandom, for the 25 years anniversary of ST, title translated into "Bloodshadow", it was a Romulan-based masterpiece of 600 pages, timeframe set between ST-V and ST-VI. . It was no commecial enterprise, and copies were sold for the price of the copying alone, not more. On festivals, I was told, it popped up time and again for a couple of years, and found some hundred (hopefully happy) "customers".

Well, what you write when you are in your early twenties :p

At school I wrote a 200 pages novel for the movie Blade Runner - well, what a surprise! My first novel had 50 pages, and was a script of star Wars, typed while I still was visiting fourth class, I think, elementary school. during late school I wrote a 200 pages non-fictinal book about some social, political, environmental and cultural things. I received some special appreciation from teachers for it, and it was used for one semestre in a project class.

All this was fun at the time when I did it, but I would not take it serious, and do not hand it around anylonger, of course. there were many other short stories, and a colelction of poems and Haikus. Beside a small collection of poems, the only thing I am really proud of, and which really was coming from my heart, is a brief - well, in german we call it "Novelle", that is something like a brief, short novel, entitled "Picnic in Avalone". It was about a young women after WWI, leaving London and finding some rest after marriage troubles, in a Godforsaken place where the borders between reality and fantasy transcended and her finding a new solution to her life when spending one afternoon on a mysterious surreal island where he experiences some events offside the usual flow of time. It is also a hommage to Ray Bradbury, to several of his stories I make some clear references.

Hundreds of pages written - only to finally end with these 90 pages of Avalaone!! I once started to write a sequel to it, well, kind of, but that was years later and I foudn that I had become rusty, and it did not went in the most elegant way. Three drafts existed, entitled "Return to Gramarye", but I finally gave it up. My imagination is unfortunatly lightyears ahead of my abilities as an author.
Old 10-17-07, 06:18 PM   #5
Ishmael
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79

Camaero, I sent you the form letter for UWG and admitted you since I know you already.

Chock, you are technically correct but Nanowrimo allows for biographies. Since I'm using first-person narrative, it'll actually read more like a memoir.

Skybird, don't edit yourself or put down your writing skills. I would venture to say you are charming, witty and intelligent in two languages. I, by contrast, can only get my face slapped in seventeen different languages. With the breadth of your knowledge and experience, I would think you have the makings of a damn fine writer. Further review of your many posts here only buttresses that opinion.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 06:28 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Thanks for the compliments, Ishmael, but like all humans, I changed over time. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. My writing skills are of the latter, like my chess and fighting as well. Too long periods of not practicing are poison for any skill, no matter what kind of skill is referred to, and that is not different with writing. changed interests, duties, views and timetables also play a role, I guess.

And my postings here in GT- I guess a majority here would rate them as controversial, at best. :p If it would be different and I would not hit some nerves at times, I would conclude that I did not get it right. Might be different with the tank and flightsim forum, of course.

I'll keep an eye on your production.
Old 10-17-07, 06:42 PM   #7
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

Thanks Ishmael!

I bet your writings are damn good Skybird. It is always hard to judge your own work though, so don't let that skew your opinion.
Old 10-17-07, 07:38 PM   #8
Chock
Sea Lord

Quote:
Too long periods of not practicing are poison for any skill, no matter what kind of skill is referred to, and that is not different with writing.
I can certainly vouch for that, I spent a long time not doing any writing after having left working for a newspaper, and then when I went back to freelancing I was rusty as hell. These days I don't do that much freelance writing, but I guard against the skill getting rusty by writing product reviews for Avsim, just to keep the writing wheels turning when I'm not doing any other writing work. It's amazing how quick the skill drops off, but the good news is that it does come back upon re-acquaintance.

Chock
Old 10-19-07, 10:22 AM   #9
Hakahura
Grey Wolf

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Flame prevention bump

Sir Humphey Appleby, GCB, KBE, MVO and MA. Britain's Greatest Orator, well bar that Churchill fellow.
Hakahura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-18, 04:18 AM   #10
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Downloads: 43

For those choosing to write, might I suggest LyX, rather than Word or Libre / OpenOffice.

https://www.lyx.org/

Not only do you just type, but it has templates for books and produces beautiful output.
ExFishermanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-18, 05:16 AM   #11
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneSmith View Post
Last year I tried what is NaNoWriMo. It's really funny but difficult. During November you must write all the time. My story was about a social architecture in Africa.
Reported as spam.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-18, 05:46 AM   #12
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Haha, another spambot necro ? Seriously, these spambots have no manners.
Old 11-20-18, 04:35 PM   #13
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

"It was a dark and stormy night..."...

<O>
Old 11-20-18, 05:48 PM   #14
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
"It was a dark and stormy night..."...

<O>

And on that note I went to bed.

The End

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-18, 04:05 AM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default REPORTED

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote