SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-08-06, 05:28 PM   #1
Linton
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Gaeta harbour

Having seen Scicillian Wedding mentioned recently I thought I would play it again.I have completely forgotten how I got in and out of Gaeta harbour.Has anybody any idea?
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 10:44 AM   #2
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

I do
Old 10-11-06, 06:40 PM   #3
Linton
Sea Lord

I am sure you do I am getting fed up with p-3 s dropping torpedoes or multiple asrocs!
Old 10-12-06, 05:21 AM   #4
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Don't try the direct approach (they'll be all over you there), instead, work around the edges
Old 10-27-06, 07:54 PM   #5
Ishmael
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79

Surface off of the 1st buoy and call for the pilot boat.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 12:35 PM   #6
Linton
Sea Lord

Ishmael believe me I have tried it.Have you ever seen it raining asrocs in Italy??
Old 10-28-06, 06:11 PM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I did Geata a couple of months ago in SC+SCX. Like Bill said, going direct is a waste of effort. As soon as I came out of the shadows of the seamount in front of the harbor a P3 hears me. No matter how slow i go. So eventually I tried the eastern approach hugging the coast (but first heading east, going from deep to shallow behind the big island) at periscope depth with 5 ft below keel. Going in wasn't that big a deal. Just had to keep quiet when the airplane or ASW surface got too close in their tracks.

Going out though was another matter. Knowing it's tactically unwise to retreat the same way you got in, I would have retreated around the western peninsula. Or go directly out through the mine curtain. (Yeah right! P3 remember) But the west ASW ship was to near for my taste, and seabed contour didn't look right there, he was sure to find me. So I decided to hide in the coastal noise again. Nobody seemed to have noticed me after the cargo's got hit, so why not. To make sure the ASW ship southeast of the harbour didn't bug me I fired of two fish and steered them east and around the mine curtain towards the ASW ship there. One did the job, the other made friends with a mine. But while I was nearing the edge of the mine curtain some helo's and plane got a sniff on me. And they had plenty of fish to throw at me along the coast. Whether it was the sim being at maximum time acceleration or just shallow water, I don't know. But all of them dug into the seabed. As I reached the end of the coast, the plane and helo had enough and let me be. ( unscathed :rotfl: ) Then going deep again behind the island and on to the meeting point with the Trafalgar.

p.s The western peninsula is appearantly the real Geata harbor according to Google Earth. The simulated harbor is Scauri. BTW what's that wide looking ship moored pointing north inside curtain in Geata. ... Looks naval, but it's not a aircraftcarrier (no big flightdeck, the bridge is smack in the middle), nor a battleship (no guns, though ample space for them). Any idea?

Last edited by Pisces; 10-28-06 at 06:29 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-06, 03:21 AM   #8
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

IIRC the USS Frank Cable is in Gaeta Harbor but that ship dosn't look like the Cable. To me it looks like either a Mount Whitney class Anphib command ship or maybe its an San Georgio class Anphib (the one thats based off of their Garibaldi class VTOL carrier.
Old 11-25-06, 06:08 PM   #9
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

It must be the Mount Whitney (Blue Ridge Class) then according to this:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...avy/lcc-20.htm

The pictures of the Blue Ridge class certainly look like it. Mount Whitney is based in Gaeta since jan 2005.

San Giorgio class is much different:
http://www.jeffhead.com/worldwideair...rs/giorgio.htm

Thanks for the suggestions. i never thought about such a dedicated command/flagship.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote