Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-03-17, 12:48 PM   #1
Cmdr Von Wulfen
Seaman

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default SH5 a few more questions

Hi all, please forgive my constant questions )
1. When I have a little chat with the cook, his morale always goes down.
Is there a way to avoid this other than ignoring a vital member of my crew?
2. When in my patrol area, should I be fully surfaced or deck awash when conducting a surface search?
3. How many torpedoes should I use on a single target, is 2 enough to kill most ships?
4. How do I increase the range of my targeting circles? (I am using Auto TDC). I measured the distance from my sub to the furthest target circle (3) and it is 1200m, yet on reading the torp info it has a much longer range?

Last edited by Cmdr Von Wulfen; 06-03-17 at 01:27 PM.
Cmdr Von Wulfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 05:21 PM   #2
GeneralDeath99
Seaman

Downloads: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr Von Wulfen View Post
Hi all, please forgive my constant questions )
1. When I have a little chat with the cook, his morale always goes down.
Is there a way to avoid this other than ignoring a vital member of my crew?
2. When in my patrol area, should I be fully surfaced or deck awash when conducting a surface search?
3. How many torpedoes should I use on a single target, is 2 enough to kill most ships?
4. How do I increase the range of my targeting circles? (I am using Auto TDC). I measured the distance from my sub to the furthest target circle (3) and it is 1200m, yet on reading the torp info it has a much longer range?
1. I think it has to do with him telling you the one of the other crew members cut the strings off his violin. Sometimes certain crew members morale will drop depending on what they tell you. Another example is the young radio man who misses his parents, his morale will also drop when you speak to him about that. There is no way to avoid this, it's meant to add a bit of realism. Not everyone is going to be all happy 24/7, ya know?
2. That is totally up to you. I'll give you the perks of both. Being fully surfaced allows your sub to move a bit faster and allows your crew to man both the deck and flak gun. While deck awash, this minimizes your subs profile, making it more difficult for enemy ships to spot you. Plus if you need to dive under the water in an emergency, this will make it happen quicker.
I'd suggest being fully surfaced and when you spot smoke in the distance, deck awash if the ship is bearing towards you until you can identify it, then dive and hunt it down.
3. Depending on the ship's size, most really only take one good hit. Aim for the engine room or underneath the command deck. Also don't forget to preheat your torps so they do a bit more damage and faster speed. If you're hunting DDs, small to medium sized merchants, or other miscellaneous ships, one should do the trick. Anything bigger and you might want to consider more than one. Oh and if one torpedo hit doesn't sink the ship, don't be afraid to surface and finish her off with your deck gun. Thats if her guns aren't still operational lol
4. The torpedo targeting circles is kind of limited in its range ability. I believe the three circles depending on the speed you set your torpedo at is like the optimal or best range to hit at, of course the torpedo has a much farther overall range, but that really only use for manual TDC. If you want to use the Auto-TDC, you're gonna have to get into a good position and range for the circles to line up where you want them.

Hoped this helped
GeneralDeath99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 05:59 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi CVW
Post #146 Auto TDC Targeting Without Using 3 Circles > Updated Pictorial
One Ship, One Torpedo v1.00 > Enable JSGME
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote