SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-28-07, 02:45 PM   #76
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
For some reason it didn't come out the same size as my other one? no biggie I just use it separately.
How much is the difference? I can't guarantee what size it will come out by printing with different measuring systems or hardware combinations But in any case you should be able to resize it with any decent graphics editor. If someone did a PDF version like Kaptain Krunch was, that would probably solve any problems
Old 04-28-07, 04:27 PM   #77
CaptainHunter
Loader

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

It's around 3/8" smaller they first one I made of the front.
CaptainHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 02:21 PM   #78
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

OK, I don't really know why I did this, as I only have SHIII, and the basic unit of measure is meters instead of yards, but here is my attempt at making the "SUBMARINE ATTACK COURSE FINDER MK. 1 MOD. 3":

So, what do you think?

On edit: Big tip o' the hat to Hitman. There is a *SLIGHT* size difference, but it is minimal if you print the .pdf's at 94% size, and print the slide rule .bmp's fitted to the paper (8.5x11).
Old 04-29-07, 03:10 PM   #79
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
On edit: Big tip o' the hat to Hitman. There is a *SLIGHT* size difference, but it is minimal if you print the .pdf's at 94% size, and print the slide rule .bmp's fitted to the paper (8.5x11).
Strange thing is that my printed version came out with nearly exact size. It wasn't perfect either, but since I had not been able to exactly cut with my scissors the part done by Kaptain Krunch I gave it as a godo result.:hmm:

I can however easily resize the images to 94% of their current size with Photoshop. Think there will be no noticeable quality difference

Quote:
I don't really know why I did this, as I only have SHIII, and the basic unit of measure is meters instead of yards
It works as well except for the minimal difference it causes in the speed measurement, because a yard s approx 0.93 of a meter. But you can apply also that proportion to the results and that's good enough.

I am thinking about creating a version for SH3, simplified and with metres as units, as well as with Kriegsmarine emblems. Any interest?
Old 04-29-07, 04:28 PM   #80
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Quote:
Strange thing is that my printed version came out with nearly exact size. It wasn't perfect either, but since I had not been able to exactly cut with my scissors the part done by Kaptain Krunch I gave it as a godo result.:hmm:

I can however easily resize the images to 94% of their current size with Photoshop. Think there will be no noticeable quality difference

Quote:
I don't really know why I did this, as I only have SHIII, and the basic unit of measure is meters instead of yards
It works as well except for the minimal difference it causes in the speed measurement, because a yard s approx 0.93 of a meter. But you can apply also that proportion to the results and that's good enough.

I am thinking about creating a version for SH3, simplified and with metres as units, as well as with Kriegsmarine emblems. Any interest?
Yes, please.
Old 04-29-07, 04:43 PM   #81
jmr
Commander

Downloads: 62

[quote=Hitman]
Quote:

HELL YES I'ld love to have one specifically for SHIII.

By the way, Bill, I went over to Kinko's to use their laminator and I still ended up with bubbles when laminating my transparancies :{ There's no speed setting so I had to go "slow" by pulsing the on/off switch but that still didn't work out too well.
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 05:17 PM   #82
starbird
Watch

Downloads: 49

I used the self stick laminating sheets. Put them sticky side up on the table, and put one of the wheels down on top of it, starting from one side. It came out without any bubbles.
starbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 05:57 PM   #83
jmr
Commander

Downloads: 62

Damn I didn't even think about using those and I bet that's what Bill was refering to in the first place.

*doh!*
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 07:13 PM   #84
CaptainHunter
Loader

CaptainHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 07:13 PM   #85
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Upon a little reflection, there are a couple of 'improvements' I would suggest.

First, instead of having an 'arm' on the minute wheel, make it into a cursor. In other words, you would print out the minute wheel (the smallest of the three) on a transparency, with just a line radiating out from that wheel at the place where the arm comes out. I suggest this because when you print out the minute wheel as-is, the arm partially obscures the speed reading.

In addition, another line not connected to the wheel, and with a small line crossing it at one end, on the same 'page'. This would be for an additional cursor, which would be helpful for aligning the bearing wheel with the distance scale on the large wheel (but isn't really necessary, just helpful).
Old 04-29-07, 07:15 PM   #86
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr
Damn I didn't even think about using those and I bet that's what Bill was refering to in the first place.

*doh!*
Yep, that's what I use.
Old 04-29-07, 07:20 PM   #87
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Another idea, if you are handy with tools, is to print the wheels on those opaque white inkjet sticker sheets, then stick them to thin acrylic sheets. You then laminate the tops, and cut the acrylic to shape. That would make them absolutely rigid.
Old 04-30-07, 12:56 AM   #88
Mav87th
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have printed on Overhead Projector transparents and i had those laminated with a heavy lamination.

That is really rigid and still transparent like glass. And the printing is sharp and crisp.

Only the biggest (background wheel) wheel is printed on a thick paper and heavy laminated.
Old 04-30-07, 07:51 AM   #89
Igorry
Swabbie

Can someone pm me and send me the reverse side of the is-was done by Hitman? I don't seem to be able to download from rapidshare. Thanks

Igorry
Igorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 12:01 PM   #90
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
First, instead of having an 'arm' on the minute wheel, make it into a cursor. In other words, you would print out the minute wheel (the smallest of the three) on a transparency, with just a line radiating out from that wheel at the place where the arm comes out. I suggest this because when you print out the minute wheel as-is, the arm partially obscures the speed reading.
Doh I forgot to add in the readme that the centre wheel (Time wheel) is to be printed in a transparency , not in solid paper. For mine, I just printed it solid but made the arm out of transparent plastic I cut for that, so the arm does not obscure the reading Anyway don't worry, I'm thinking of some different items I'm going to modify for the SH3 wheel as I also want it to look different -not US but german like- Thanks