Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-10, 02:32 PM   #1606
Threesixtyci
Torpedoman

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0
Default Steam DRM

Looks like with Steam they require to be online while you play, even for single player mode. I don't like that, myself. Wonder if the boxed version will have the same DRM, or worse....

The text of the DRM is located on the right, on the bottom of the game details. Well, at least it doesn't have minimum installs. But what happens if my DSL goes down, while playing? Which does happen from time to time....
http://store.steampowered.com/app/901248/
Old 02-26-10, 02:34 PM   #1607
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threesixtyci View Post
Looks like with Steam they require to be online while you play, even for single player mode. I don't like that, myself. Wonder if the boxed version will have the same DRM, or worse....

The text of the DRM is located on the right, on the bottom of the game details. Well, at least it doesn't have minimum installs. But what happens if my DSL goes down, while playing? Which does happen from time to time....
Yes the boxed version requires you to be online also
Read any anti DRM thread in this forum

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
Old 02-26-10, 02:37 PM   #1608
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threesixtyci View Post

Its the same DRM, also known as OSP (online service platform).

The game will pause if your DSL connection goes down. (hopefully it will allow you to save when it has paused, but that is unknown atm.).
Old 02-26-10, 02:42 PM   #1609
Threesixtyci
Torpedoman

Well... guess I won't be buying this until Steam gives it away for 5 bucks. Probably happen on the next December holiday sale.
Old 02-26-10, 04:10 PM   #1610
mw2000
Seaman

Downloads: 29

Just read this over at softpedia.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubiso...M-136081.shtml
Old 02-26-10, 04:17 PM   #1611
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

I dont realy mind DRM, i've never had anythink bad happen from it (i know some claim DRM killed their DVD drive etc.).

But i do not like the online aspect of this new system (OSP). where will it end..... will i have to go online (and create accounts) to watch my DVD's, listen to my music CD's, play my console etc.

And then theres always the posiblity that the servers you connect to will be turned off, rendering all you digital media useless. It's happening already with some downloaded music DRM's.

So lets hope this "online only" idea has a very short life.
Old 02-26-10, 04:25 PM   #1612
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Has anyone considered that pirates succeed in large part because they release a superior product? Why was Ubi forced to release a previously pirated version of SH3? It was a superior product which consented to run on more hardware and without the aggravation of the original DRM.

Same with SH4. First Ubi released patch 1.3 with no DRM at all. Then for inexplicable reasons, they refanged SecuRom for the UBM release. It now scans your running processes for programs Sony doesn't like, including legitimate programs by Microsoft having nothing whatever to do with piracy. This invasion of my sovereignty is unacceptable.

Once the pirates are done with a program it runs quicker on more variations of hardware, is smaller, takes fewer system resources....it is just a superior product. If it were in Wal-Mart it would outsell the original.

Thank God for DRM free SH4 Gold!
Old 02-26-10, 04:28 PM   #1613
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw2000 View Post
Ofcause they arnt going to patch out the DRM. Only if sales slow to a crawl or this new DRM is cracked are they going to patch it out ealier.
Because releasing a patch for the DRM would mean that theres no need for the DRM.

so those holding off until they can play offline will prob be waiting a long time... (unless SH5 get pirated) sales wont drop off for awhile. simulation games still sell well along time after release.
Old 02-26-10, 04:50 PM   #1614
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Thank God for DRM free SH4 Gold!
Yeah, I just bought that version from Amazon, since I don't need to buy SH5 for the moment.

Old 02-26-10, 06:30 PM   #1615
Archive1
Commander

Downloads: 26

Mookie...:
You're right - I should have just said "Europe" in my post above. In any case, my point regarding a seeming ignorance of things - grid failures and intemperate weather and power outages - in the US stands on it own.
Old 02-26-10, 08:03 PM   #1616
Ilpalazzo
Frogman

Okay so I only just heard about this and I did not read past page 4. So is this all a lie or do I really have to be connected to UBI and let them have my game saves? IF this is for real then ********************************K THAT! I WILL NOT PURCHASE THIS GAME! Too bad because it was the only game I was looking forward to this year.
Old 02-26-10, 09:07 PM   #1617
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpalazzo View Post
Okay so I only just heard about this and I did not read past page 4. So is this all a lie or do I really have to be connected to UBI and let them have my game saves? IF this is for real then ********************************K THAT! I WILL NOT PURCHASE THIS GAME! Too bad because it was the only game I was looking forward to this year.

No you do not have to go beyond page four and no it is not a lie and yes you will have to be connected to it's Majesty UBISOFT and again yes they will save your games. In other words whats yours is theirs and whats theirs is theirs also........or will be if you play their way.

Wait a couple more days and judgement day will be unfold.
Old 02-26-10, 09:30 PM   #1618
IanC
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder-Pirate View Post
Wait a couple more days and judgement day will be unfold.
Old 02-26-10, 09:44 PM   #1619
admobadmo
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

So then, and I'm not saying that it's good you understand, but does anybody miss the Spore version of drm yet? At the time it seemed like it would be all that was needed to finally make California fall off into the ocean. Suddenly doesn't seem quite as bad as it used to.

My other thought is, wouldn't it be nice if Stardock gets into the submarine simulation business now.
Old 02-26-10, 10:06 PM   #1620
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

AWwwwwwww

Yes UBI judgement day is near.

Now back to the war zone.