Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 01-19-09, 12:20 AM   #1
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Finally took the plunge..

Greetings,

Between getting ready to return to college Tuesday, I've been itching to jump back in the cockpit so I decided to take the plunge and ordered a Saitek X52.

I did 2 weeks of research on 12 models. When it came down to it, there was only 2 choices - the Evo Cyborg 3D and this one. What turned me on most was the amount of programmable buttons that it has on the throttle, and the idea that I 'may' be able to minimize use of the keyboard and focus on flight instead.

Anyways, I waiting anxiously about my shipment, but was curious how user's here at HeloSim feel about the X52.

Cheers and thanks,
Old 01-19-09, 03:45 PM   #2
Orion2012
Commodore

Downloads: 0

The X52 is the best periphreal I've ever used. Simple to set-up (IL2 was anyway).

You won't be disappointed.
Old 01-19-09, 03:52 PM   #3
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

I use the X52 stick and throttle in Falcon 4, Arma and other more "modern" type sims, where it works quite well. I did not like the stick's wonky feels in IL2, so I use an MS FFB2 and the X52 throttle for that.

All in all it's still a pretty decent HOTAS considering the price
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 05:37 PM   #4
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

I have the X52 as well. Worked just fine for anything I have tried. Had a MS Sidewinder Pro before, which still works well, but lacks all the buttons and axis.

cheers Porphy

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 12:25 AM   #5
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

Received my X52 today, have to say I thought the learning curve for buttons would be steep, but within 20 minutes I had everything set up and went through flight basics.

Review:
I really love the heavy "real" feeling of the stick, it's solidly constructed, has a wide base on both throttle and the stick and they stay put through some of my more difficult maneuvers. It comes with suction cups but I've not added them as of yet, which is a testament to their weight and metal composition. I wondered from seeing the spring at the base of the stick how well it would hold up, but seeing and feeling it in person, all my fears were alleviated. The combo feels real and is a solid design.

Performance:
In the past I always had a problem banking and holding the turn precisely. Granted when your in combat you rarely complete a full turn without other maneuvers thrown in, but I feel it's important to test out the subtle details as well as a full combat situation. Here the X52 shines brightly, allowing me to make small adjustments and maintain heading, angle and speed with nary a wiggle. Adjustable brightness control on the LED's and the MFD allow one to customize as needed. I dropped them down to a slight glow and found with just the monitor lit, they complimented my in-game experience and didn't blind me when I looked down.

I did some heavy split-S maneuvers, throwing the plane into spins/rolls/dives to really test the response and to see how stable the system was. In all cases the X52 stayed with me, never whining, never cracking, just performing as I hoped. What a feeling to finally have full control over the plane. I can tell you I feel more confident with this set-up and that my enemies better be ready for a fight. In a word, amazing.

Buttons:
I quickly forgot that I was in a chair in my home and found myself sitting in a P-38 taking her through paces. The amount of buttons allowed me to fly a complete mission without touching the keyboard, and that really helped with the immersive quality.

I found the placement of the controls to be a huge boon. Simply put the amount of customization allows you to set the X52 how you want it, and for me it is exactly what I always envisioned in joystick/throttle combos. They are responsive, have a touch that you remember - very important in combat situations - and yet there is a real world feeling of quality that shines through. I love the multiple trigger button. Slightly touch for guns, fully depress for cannons/guns. Hatch switches abound and while in flight it is such a rush to be banked in a turn, move the thumb to one of the hatch switches and look around the cockpit/out a window etc. A blast!

Final thought:
For 100 bucks this was a steal, and worth every penny. After 3 hours of flight, my hand wasn't sore or cramped - partly because your able to adjust the stick to your hand size - and this paid off in spades. The amount of customization through the buttons and various modes is a blessing.

I thought I might have some issues with setting up specific buttons for my own use, but the software that comes with the Saitek X52 makes that a breeze. Profiles are available for download from their site, and all you do is unzip it into the main Saitek directory, load it in the desktop profile manager and your good to go. I d/l the IL2 profile, and within 2 minutes was ready to fly.

If your looking for a top-notch flight stick you'd be hard pressed to find a better value.

Thanks for the recommendations and I'll see you in the skies.

Cheers,
Old 01-23-09, 01:16 AM   #6
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverleaf
Received my X52 today, have to say I thought the learning curve for buttons would be steep, but within 20 minutes I had everything set up and went through flight basics.

Review:
I really love the heavy "real" feeling of the stick, it's solidly constructed, has a wide base on both throttle and the stick and they stay put through some of my more difficult maneuvers. It comes with suction cups but I've not added them as of yet, which is a testament to their weight and metal composition. I wondered from seeing the spring at the base of the stick how well it would hold up, but seeing and feeling it in person, all my fears were alleviated. The combo feels real and is a solid design.

Performance:
In the past I always had a problem banking and holding the turn precisely. Granted when your in combat you rarely complete a full turn without other maneuvers thrown in, but I feel it's important to test out the subtle details as well as a full combat situation. Here the X52 shines brightly, allowing me to make small adjustments and maintain heading, angle and speed with nary a wiggle. Adjustable brightness control on the LED's and the MFD allow one to customize as needed. I dropped them down to a slight glow and found with just the monitor lit, they complimented my in-game experience and didn't blind me when I looked down.

I did some heavy split-S maneuvers, throwing the plane into spins/rolls/dives to really test the response and to see how stable the system was. In all cases the X52 stayed with me, never whining, never cracking, just performing as I hoped. What a feeling to finally have full control over the plane. I can tell you I feel more confident with this set-up and that my enemies better be ready for a fight. In a word, amazing.

Buttons:
I quickly forgot that I was in a chair in my home and found myself sitting in a P-38 taking her through paces. The amount of buttons allowed me to fly a complete mission without touching the keyboard, and that really helped with the immersive quality.

I found the placement of the controls to be a huge boon. Simply put the amount of customization allows you to set the X52 how you want it, and for me it is exactly what I always envisioned in joystick/throttle combos. They are responsive, have a touch that you remember - very important in combat situations - and yet there is a real world feeling of quality that shines through. I love the multiple trigger button. Slightly touch for guns, fully depress for cannons/guns. Hatch switches abound and while in flight it is such a rush to be banked in a turn, move the thumb to one of the hatch switches and look around the cockpit/out a window etc. A blast!

Final thought:
For 100 bucks this was a steal, and worth every penny. After 3 hours of flight, my hand wasn't sore or cramped - partly because your able to adjust the stick to your hand size - and this paid off in spades. The amount of customization through the buttons and various modes is a blessing.

I thought I might have some issues with setting up specific buttons for my own use, but the software that comes with the Saitek X52 makes that a breeze. Profiles are available for download from their site, and all you do is unzip it into the main Saitek directory, load it in the desktop profile manager and your good to go. I d/l the IL2 profile, and within 2 minutes was ready to fly.

If your looking for a top-notch flight stick you'd be hard pressed to find a better value.

Thanks for the recommendations and I'll see you in the skies.

Cheers,

I bought the X52 when it first came out and haven't had one problem with it yet.

While a little steep in price you gotta get the rudder pedals for the full monty.

Sadly the only thing missing is force feed back.

I would have replaced with the X52 Pro if it had FF.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 10:16 AM   #7
fatty
The Old Man

Downloads: 10

Cool, I actually just put a bid on an X52 set on ebay. Sounds like it was a good move.
fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 10:22 AM   #8
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

You won't be disappointed.

I've now flown multiple missions and different types of planes to see how well the X52 handles them. There is certainly something to be said when I immediately feel a difference in flight characteristics when using this stick. Heavy/slow response with larger planes - and while that is to be expected, it was quite a shock to feel that with the stick.

I might order the rudder petals down the road - but even without FF, this combo was worth every penny.

Cheers,