SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-02-07, 03:37 PM   #121
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Suprised they let you go back aft to the engine room. Usually, they don't let tourists etc go past the reactor tunnel. Usually the tour is in the fwd part of the boat.
We didn't go through the reactor tunnel to get to the engine room. I think that was the hallway that was beyond that door in the command room that I wasn't allowed in. Tell you the truth, it was so long ago, I dont remember the exact rout we took. I have vague memories of where everything is with the exception of most of the key areas I saw. I didn't see anything that looked like a nuclear reactor on our way back to the engine room but then again.. I wouldn't know one if I saw one. I don't remember if we went through the command room to get to the engine room or not. We may have walked through a hallway under it or something. I know we didn't go through the door in the command room that said "Authorised Personel Only" with the nuclear symbol on it that was to the left of the radio room door.
Old 12-02-07, 03:56 PM   #122
Gargantou
Seaman

Downloads: 0

I dunno if it counts as being onboard, but a few years back I visited Muskö(A swedish underground naval base), and I got to see one of our most high-end subs being picked apart for inspection, we're talking EVERY single bit of metal, electronic etc all picked apart inside this huge base inside a mountain, I can't remember what class the sub was, but I did get to walk in the area where it was picked apart, does that count as benig onboard?
Gargantou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 09:09 PM   #123
subsimlee
Mate

Downloads: 47

Served on HMS Alcide, HMS Acheron, both on detached service to the RCN as SM-6 during the mid sixties and finally on the first Canadian "O" boat, HMCS Ojibwa, at a time when the boats were steel and so were the men. Cold war my ass!!!!
subsimlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 10:45 PM   #124
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight
Quote:
Suprised they let you go back aft to the engine room. Usually, they don't let tourists etc go past the reactor tunnel. Usually the tour is in the fwd part of the boat.
We didn't go through the reactor tunnel to get to the engine room. I think that was the hallway that was beyond that door in the command room that I wasn't allowed in. Tell you the truth, it was so long ago, I dont remember the exact rout we took. I have vague memories of where everything is with the exception of most of the key areas I saw. I didn't see anything that looked like a nuclear reactor on our way back to the engine room but then again.. I wouldn't know one if I saw one. I don't remember if we went through the command room to get to the engine room or not. We may have walked through a hallway under it or something. I know we didn't go through the door in the command room that said "Authorised Personel Only" with the nuclear symbol on it that was to the left of the radio room door.
If it was an LA class that door simpley went into the fanroom. It is directly in front of the reactor compartment and has radiation signs as it is an area where you are only allowed to spend so much time when the reactor is hot. The tunnel to the engine room is on the middle level aft of the crews mess. The tunnel goes down the side of the reactor compartment.

Lets' see. Served on the Jacksonville SSN-699 and Gurnard SSN-662.

Been on:
Drum both of them
Cavalla both of them
test are all of the nuclear variety
Nautilus
NR-1
Hammerhead
Silversides
Sturgeon
Whale
Baton Rouge
Memphis
Norfolk
Newport News
Bremerton
La Jolla
Houston
Cincinnati
Groton
Phoenix

Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 09:32 AM   #125
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by U49
Next one will probably be U-9 in Speyer/ Germany

http://www.museumspeyer.de/0000420A2...54F5_0001.html
Dnag, I was in Speyer a couple of days last week. Never knew there was a sub there
Drebbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 09:32 AM   #126
teddy996
Swabbie

Downloads: 10

Visited the Torsk many years ago.

Trained at the navy's S8G/AFR facility (a land-locked fake sub with an SSBN engine room mated to a SEAWOLF reactor core.) Worked in the reactor room on a Nimitz class for 5 years, and saw about as much sunlight as a submariner. Do they count?
teddy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 11:08 PM   #127
Brer Rabbit
Briar Patch Runner

Downloads: 89

Visited the Bowfin, and U-505, and spent a few days training on the USS Grayback.
Brer Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 01:25 PM   #128
frogdog
Torpedoman

Downloads: 56

Archerfish and Tigrone. Operated off both. 1965/1970. Archerfish in WESPAC...Tigrone in Carribean training. Loved the "sewer pipes". Hyper fantastic crews/officers...both. Hoo Yah!
frogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 04:47 PM   #129
Fritz Eger
Swabbie

Downloads: 47

HMS Victorious SSBN 06. 3 patrols
Fritz Eger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 05:18 PM   #130
Wasserbombkopf
Swabbie

Downloads: 12

Pampanito and Bowfin.
Wasserbombkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 09:54 PM   #131
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

It just amazed me how little space there was between the bunks there. I double I would be able to sleep with the next bunk 5 inches away from my face while laying on my back. My friend showed me the cots that you can toss up on the torpedo racks when there's no torpedo somewhere in there, but I imagine that room has to be tough to sleep in as well. Less on the clausterphobia, more on the noise level as people run around the torpedo room doing stuff.

I think my friend worked in the reactor area. He said he wasn't allowed to show me where he worked. I wish I was still in contact with him. I'd ask him and post more information.

Now that I think of it, I do remember going through the mess hall to get to the engine room. The mess hall was TINY.
Old 12-06-07, 04:43 AM   #132
Propy
Seaman

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
USS Torsk....I'm there every Saturday restoring the old girl. Drop on by if you are visiting Baltimore.
just a quick question; what are the sub named after? because in swedish torsk means cod...

The only subs that I have been on is the one in my sig (U3) that is on display at a museum in Malmo, Sweden and another sub when I was really young (dont remember what sub it was)

U3 - Swedish submarine from 1939 (stricken 1965)
http://www.malmo.se/kulturbibliotek/...800076850.html
Propy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 08:22 AM   #133
frogdog
Torpedoman

Downloads: 56

Diesel boats and the original fast attack boats are named for fish. As boats became larger...names for fast attack boats changed to American cities and the FBM (boomer) boats came to be named for famous Americans.
frogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 12:45 PM   #134
the_belgian
Commander

Downloads: 19

The "Espadon" in Breton,France anchored in a WWII German sub-penn.

http://www.saint-nazaire-tourisme.co...n=777&idn3=218
the_belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 01:01 PM   #135
Perseus
Mate

Downloads: 3

HMS Walrus (Dutch submarine)
A Russian Foxtrot (don't know name)
Perseus is offline   Reply With Quote