SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > Sub Commander
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-23-14, 12:43 AM   #406
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0

After playing the game for a few hours, I thought I would offer some feedback about things I think could be changed for the better:

1) Nuclear war doesn't make much sense at the moment, so I would like to see it expanded upon.
2) Throughout my entire time playing the game, I have only encountered one enemy submarine, and the very brief duel I had with him(He hit me with a torp and then ran off) was very intense and exciting, so increase the amount of enemy subs.
3) More in-depth sub combat, noisemakers, the ability to dodge torpedoes better etc.
4) I've only played about 5 minutes in the Foxtrot, but a snorkel would be nice.
5) Rear torpedo tubes.
6) The enemy actually attempting to dodge your torpedoes(At this point, there primary maneuver is just "Turn away and hope for the best").
7) Last one, ship-borne helicopters that should make trying to evade destroyers much more difficult.
USS Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 09:33 AM   #407
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1
Default Sub Commander 0.27

Hi Geoff, loving the latest update with the diesel Foxtrot Class, brings back many happy memories of SH3! Whilst the full screen crash problem is being investigated, is there any way to make the windowed resolution bigger, as a work around?

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 02:56 PM   #408
JerikTelorian
Watch

Downloads: 2

To add another voice to the discussion in difficulty, I think it might be nice to maintain a lower difficulty mode, if you can.

There's a very fun game in and of itself trying to maintain the boat and put out fires (literal and figurative!). Sometimes my patrols without bumping into enemies are the most interesting, trying to limp a wounded boat back to port in the face of a rapidly destabilizing situation are the most fun. I often find that when I bump into a task force, I'm getting solidly crushed (which is probably the way things should be, but I'm not sure how to shoot out juicy targets in a group like that?)

Part of this, too, is that I (despite having played SH4 a decent bit!) have never grokked the unique blend of patience and gut-feeling initiative the captains here have , and this game gives a nice taste of that without making me really delve into a methodology that I'm just not sure I'm capable of.

I'm certainly not suggesting that additional AI and difficulty work should be ignored, but rather that it might be nice to have an "Arcade" or similar difficulty setting that lets you focus more on the managing of the boat and punishes poor submariner technique a bit less aggressively.
JerikTelorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 05:07 PM   #409
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

I think I found a bug on the Foxtrot, it appears that crewmen can not access the equipment locker.
Old 12-23-14, 07:43 PM   #410
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27

Interesting suggestions. Most of them are now on the to-do list and they will hopefully be addressed soon.

The fullscreen bug has now been fixed - it was a very simple problem, can't believe it took so long to figure out The bug with the equipment locker on Foxtrot class subs has also been fixed. Both download links in the first post of this thread now point to the updated version.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-14, 02:27 AM   #411
submersiblevalor84
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default CTD after launching a November nuke at Narvik

I was trying out the new mini-update with the Foxtrot, but I decided to go with the November to see how a SSBN works in this game. After taking out some Israeli vessels and securing a military alliance with Pakistan, I got trigger happy and tried to launch a nuke at Narvik. And as the title said, I got a CTD... I hope it can be fixed in the near-future!
submersiblevalor84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-14, 04:12 AM   #412
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

submersiblevalor84! we seem to have missed your first two posts; forgive our bad manners!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-14, 08:04 AM   #413
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim submersiblevalor84

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-14, 10:01 AM   #414
Woxor
Watch

Downloads: 124

As of the last update, where the fullscreen was fixed, I am currently CTD'ing a few seconds after starting a game, and immediately when opening the map. Any idea as to why?

EDIT: Turns out turning OpenGL off fixed this, however I CTD when launching nukes so that's another one to look into.

Last edited by Woxor; 12-24-14 at 03:54 PM.
Woxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-14, 05:17 PM   #415
Wojtek94
Watch

Downloads: 9

Hmm... I think about one thing-random crush depth. If I set this to 310 meters sub take damage and water when I pass this limit. I know about random durability of pressure hull parts but its little annoying because crash depth have so detailed limit. Its possible to better randomize this? In one situation 310 meters give us a heavy leaking for other on 320 meter we get only little etc. For me it will be ideal option
Wojtek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-14, 06:49 PM   #416
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

Is it possible to edit the models of existing submarines? I'm currently planning on making a submarine based on the Alfa and the default model would be great in that role with a few edits(Mostly changing the overall shape of the hull and the position and shape of the stern diving planes).

Edit: Also, how do you set how fast a sub runs on the surface?

Last edited by USS Drum; 12-24-14 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-25-14, 05:16 AM   #417
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Drum View Post
Is it possible to edit the models of existing submarines? I'm currently planning on making a submarine based on the Alfa and the default model would be great in that role with a few edits(Mostly changing the overall shape of the hull and the position and shape of the stern diving planes).

Edit: Also, how do you set how fast a sub runs on the surface?
Hi Drum, it is possible to edit existing subs with the development kit, just open the desired sub in the editor and doodle away!

From looking at the subs performance file, it looks like the maximum speed is set there (for submerged running) and all other speeds are percentages of that, so the only way to increase the surface speed is to increase he overall speed (unless Geoff has some clever trickery up his Australian sleeve...)

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-14, 12:39 AM   #418
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

Apparently I was using the old version of the editor.

Edit: I can't seem to download the new editor, are there other mirrors I could use?

Last edited by USS Drum; 12-26-14 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 12:33 PM   #419
LHLF
Nub

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeoff View Post
Also, I've decided to do something to make the game more approachable to new players. I am considering the following:

- Making a proper pdf manual with diagrams and tutorials
- Making an online tutorial, possibly with gifs or videos
- Making a wiki

Which would you all prefer? Personally I think either a manual or wiki is the best option, but I'm open to ideas / suggestions.
Did no one answer to this question? I read the comments that came afterwards and it seemed that there was not a single person supporting this.

YES, PLEASE make a proper pdf manual!

A wiki would be awesome too, but since wikis take a long time to be formed and to become somewhat complete and reliable (especially with all the updates that change a lot of things), a nice, complete manual would be perfect for us who are still starting to learn the ropes and commands.
It would be great if it could include some tips about what to do in the beginning, how to be prepared for accidents and unexpected things too!
LHLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-14, 12:35 PM   #420
anakim
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 22

Hi ! Everybody,

First this game are very cool, i'am an ancient seaman on submarine (sory for my poor english).

i have suggestion for fun .

1) It possible to have surface vessel for playable asset in the future ?
2) Captain Log's for diplomacy event and hit.
3) Same as dwarf fortress , continue game with other submarine after death.

thanks for this awesome gameGeoff
anakim is offline   Reply With Quote