SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-15, 09:08 PM   #46
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Good ideas.

Neither will using a typewriter type of input. The game just won't allow it.
How about using the scroll wheel of the mouse to make finer adjustments? Could something like that work?

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-15, 09:12 AM   #47
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

The Developers left us few options. Circular dials we can configure; I believe linear sliders can be used too (OTC's Omnimeter is an example) within the limitations of what the sliders are linked to. Like the Omnimeter, it's linked to the Message Text module because there were sliders used for expanding the size of the Text box, left and right.

Without the game engine already mapping out how a particular feature will work, we just can't make something out of our heads do what we want.

For instance, I've been working on the planes, particularly how do you change their attack flight patterns. Well.......you don't.

The game has the particular attack flight patterns hard coded. A level bomber (UnitType=301) travels at a predestined height, drops its bombs (provided the plane "detected" an enemy), then moves on out of sight. A Torpedo Bomber (UnitType=303) upon detection of an enemy target, will drop to just above the water. If it's not turned away by enemy fire, it will proceed in closer, drop the torpedo, then pull up abruptly in an attempt to gain altitude. If it was turned away on the first try, it will attempt to circle (if the hit points will allow) and attempt to make another run. As long as the weapon hasn't been dropped, the game instructions will force the plane to try again. It's only after the plane drops its "loadout" equipment, or reaches its maximum damage rating, will it move out of sight or crash. A Dive Bomber has a different pattern too.

My point being, there isn't anything we can change about these features.....except for the detection capabilities. The planes flight pattern is hard coded. Tucked away within files we can't open or change. So too are the interface inputs for the game.

One of the goofs in-game of these types of hard coded instrucions is the German Radar digital readout. The German Radar station offers a digital readout of a found target.....giving you an exact range figure when centered on a radar target (the German Radar looks like an A-Scope version). Great, that's just what we need for the American side!

Can a digital readout be added to the American Radar station? Sure can, here's one I did for an older Trigger Maru version.

But, here's the kicker. The darn thing only reads in metric units!

No matter which Unit of Measurement is chosen within the Options Menu.....it will only read in meters. Not much good for us trying to play an American game, using authentic unit of measurements!

By the way, for those that play the German U-Boat side of play......you're also screwed if you play using the Imperial Unit of Measurements and think the Radar digital readout is giving you Yards? It's not. The Dev's hard coded the thing to only read in meters.....no matter which option you chose.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-15, 06:25 PM   #48
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586
Uploads: 0

Hey, I have another idea, can u add in different colors to the bases, like blue for America, green for Australia and New Zealand, darker blue (or whatever color u want) for great britan, and a different color for the Dutch (I don't have an idea for the Dutch) and red for Japan?
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-15, 06:46 PM   #49
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by avers View Post
Hey, I have another idea, can u add in different colors to the bases, like blue for America, green for Australia and New Zealand, darker blue (or whatever color u want) for great britan, and a different color for the Dutch (I don't have an idea for the Dutch) and red for Japan?
You mean for the icons displayed on the map?

I'll have to see.

The Dutch should use Orange if I'm not mistaken.

===================

Thought I'd post some pictures of what I've been working on. I found a free 3D model of the Yokosuka MXY-7 Kamikaze plane, and have been getting it into the game using Blender. Here's what I've got:

The above image is from the Museum.

Below, their making a run on a Clemson CL:

Better arm that 20 mister!!

Still got a few things to do. Seems the lighting on the model is out of wack, and a couple of other things I'd like to tweak. If I was any good at modeling I'd try to see if I could animate the model to nose down into the target from a Level Flight bomb run of the Betty. Right now, the Dive Bomber approach seems to work/look the best.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 02-28-15, 08:18 PM   #50
avers
Seasoned Skipper

well, what I meant is the dot and name of the city and port, so change the color of the name of the port. the labels, u could do what the creator (sorry I for got his name) of NMMO did, put the flags of the port owner in the label. Also, will it still be possible to add in some plane battles, with the limitations you mentioned?
Old 03-01-15, 09:52 AM   #51
HertogJan
Weps

Downloads: 137

Orange for the Dutch is perfect. We use a Orange banner on to of the flag.
Red, White and Blue.
HertogJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 01:01 PM   #52
pdiddy
Gunner

Downloads: 227

Quote:

Thought I'd post some pictures of what I've been working on. I found a free 3D model of the Yokosuka MXY-7 Kamikaze plane, and have been getting it into the game using Blender.
Amazing!
pdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 03:20 PM   #53
avers
Seasoned Skipper

hi, so how is the mod coming scurvy? I also have another idea, can u add in American seaplane tenders, like the USS Langley?
Old 03-17-15, 07:15 PM   #54
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
hi, so how is the mod coming scurvy? I also have another idea, can u add in American seaplane tenders, like the USS Langley?
Slow, very slow. 3D modeling is not something I'm very familiar with, I'm learning as I go. That's why I really didn't want to post much about my work, I'm not going to set a time limit on completion.

Adding the Langley?.....well someone had better make the model for me 'cause I won't have the skill or time to do it myself.

Quote:
Old 04-14-15, 08:49 AM   #55
avers
Seasoned Skipper

hi scurvy, im not a 3d modeler, but if you need help how about you start a thread for this mod so you can find more help.
Old 04-14-15, 12:51 PM   #56
Longknife
A-ganger

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Adding the Langley?.....well someone had better make the model for me 'cause I won't have the skill or time to do it myself.
Anyone have a 3 view of it or some good images? I have been meaning to dust off 3DS Max for awhile but SH has been eating up all my free time.
Longknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-15, 12:57 PM   #57
avers
Seasoned Skipper

here's a side view of the USS Langley as a seaplane tender which is what it was during WW2.

heres a bow view.
Old 04-14-15, 01:00 PM   #58
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Here's an image of a destroyer-seaplane tender, which is another type of ship I think would be neat to see in SH4.
Old 04-16-15, 11:26 AM   #59
Longknife
A-ganger

After some extensive searching there are relatively few images of AV-3 Langley. That said I am sure I could make it without a great deal of effort. This begs another question though...

Is it needed/wanted? A ship of negligible value lost in 42 would have little import/impact in this sim. While it would not be difficult to make this it would still take me 10-15hrs to make it & textures. Is it worth spending my time on?
A single ship such as this would by necessity need to be part of a larger package containing more vessels as I doubt it would get downloaded much more than twice. Once when I verify the download works & a 2nd time when you get it.
Old 04-16-15, 12:17 PM   #60
Longknife
A-ganger

Quote:

This I will make for my own enjoyment if nothing else. I have a special fondness for the flush deck destroyers.