SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-09, 03:19 PM   #76
Ishigami
Navy Dude

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Very nice feature set and defiantly the scenario I like more.
Ishigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 03:20 PM   #77
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3
Default An excellent list...

Frederf posted this on another thread discussing SH5:
  • Global scope
  1. 3000BC to 3000AD. Limiting the time via hard coding makes absolutely no sense. Let the campaigns determine the stop and start dates. Even if the base game is '41 to 45, having flexibility never hurts.
  2. Every drop of water on the planet. Make allowances to map water environment for all points on the globe. The Arctic, Pacific, and Atlantic all look different so build your game to match. Use map "painting" techniques along with procedurally generated distance-offshore/depth algorithms to produce the sea color with blending for zone transitions.
  3. Weather. Again manually "paint" the world with typical weather patterns for every month or season and let a blending happen so for a given location the probability values for weather would be averaged between the defined values at the adjacent time points. Implement a diurnal weather cycle as well.
  4. Round Earth. The Earth is round in reality and thus it should be in the game. This makes 1:1 almanac values for the sun and moon much easier. Distances can match real life values. Develop point to point visual displays where you drag your course line out and it actually curves on the map due to the projection method. The local rendered attack "stage" might remain flat. Also nix all those pesky bugs when crossing the IDL.
  5. Units. Don't assume anything about what units are going to be used in the game. Go ahead and program the game in meters and seconds but let the campaign and submarine configs define exactly what units are used. Seeing the map scale read weird numbers of nm because they are hardcoded to be round numbers of km (converted) is just shameful.
  • Submarine Systems
  1. Failures and misalignments. Mechanical problems are some of the most significant and interesting issues faced by submarines. Lost an engine, mistakenly poured 1000 lbs of diesel over the side, SD radar out of commission for a day, periscope flooded. When you read patrol reports you get a feeling of how much of being a submariner was occupied and defined by this. Depth charging should have a tiny chance of death and a large chance of small failures.
  2. Sound. The hydrophone and sonar stations are cartoons of their real life selves. Recreate the speed/noise penalty. Give tick noises to pings. Allow people to prop turn count. Make a random squeak in merchant propellers. Give frequency filter adjustments as well as a volume knob.
  3. Radar. Similar upgrades here, range, miscalibration, proper output (range counter, A-scope knob), radar cross section, terrain reflection, other radar interference. Sensors that gives range and no bearing or bearing and no range or just presence should be easy.
  4. Engines. Give advanced control over engines, edit what ahead std. 2/3rds, etc equate to, differential propulsion, which engines are online, which shafts are online, battery use on the surface. Go ahead and hide it from the new players and give an easy interface but control over the boat is just as important as flight controls in a flight sim.
  5. Radio. Model encrypting/decrypting delays. Direction-finding for intercepting transmissions. Fix the simplistic system where you are playing stored audio files when you should be having realtime-tied reception. Load up on gramaphone records in base based on if it was available yet. Give volume, track, shuffle, etc commands for the radio and the gramaphone.
  6. Periscope. Stadimeter both directions. Can only view when the eyepiece is reachable. Murky water. Light gatering difference based on apature.
  • Map and Navigation
  1. Option for manual or navigation officer ownship plotting with uncertainty based on weather, submergence, sunrise, sunset.
  2. Map marking expanded to draw various symbols (ship, ship sunk, airplane, etc), one of which has to be a current-timestamped "X."
  • TDC and Plotting
  1. Make it a teamwork or crew affair. Have a dialogue box that can mark the attack plot (navmap tools) with a mark based on user/crew-generated bearing/range/time information.
  2. Make sure any periscope-TDC ties are functioning.
  • Crew Function and Standard Operating Procedures
    1. Replicate the function, limitations, and mistakes of their real life counterparts.
    2. Have settable "alarms" for various crew like "Reduce TC to 1x and give alert when this tracked contact is at 270 bearing." or "Alert when warship contact closes to medium range." This is stuff you could say to a person and it would be easy.
    3. Track any contact specified. Tracking should only update information that changes for brevity. Why would a sonarman tell me "Closing!" every time? Give any sensor the ability to track, radar, visual.
    4. "Drills" during patrol like set up an SOP to ":00 90' dive, :10 ahead 1/3rd, :20 surface, raise radar antenna, radar 1 scan and off, 2:30 repeat" so I can do regular sonar dives on 3 hour intervals while on patrol for days on end without having to micromanage. Have a "Drills" page where you can drag various simple functions from a library together into long drills that can be executed 1 through infinity times when enacted. This would be powerful.
Old 08-17-09, 03:53 PM   #78
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I'm a Pacific fan but in the spirit of submarines in general I will purchase SH5. Looks like this could be a good one and enough to draw me back to the dreary impending Atlantic theater. Then again, it all depends if the motor men wear coconuts shells like a bra and dance for me
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 03:54 PM   #79
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

That thing looks like it would MELT my current computer. I can't even handle Silent Hunter 4 here. I won't be going there unless I manage to miraculously get enough cash to get a hot new gaming rig and I don't see that happening for QUITE a while.

I wonder if Ubi will actually release this one in a "finished" state.
Old 08-17-09, 03:56 PM   #80
conus00
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 166

Did you guys notice that there is no name yet? Just "Silent Hunter V".
Makes me wonder what's the official title gonna be?
Old 08-17-09, 04:05 PM   #81
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46

Fantastic News!!!
I'm in!!
Old 08-17-09, 04:06 PM   #82
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

I can't wait to see all my busy crew members going about their business.
Old 08-17-09, 04:07 PM   #83
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
back to the good ol days when i was ober lt lare dont worry guys this old sea dog is going to keep on fightin in the pacfic as well can wait for the release

lt commander lare
Lt commander lare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 04:09 PM   #84
Melonfish
XO

Downloads: 106

i like the internals n stuff but... i dunno something about this makes me afraid...
apart from the overly american voices on the trailer i liked the look of it, still has that cinimatic feel that SH4 has which isn't bad i guess but i dunno, i guess we'll suck it and see eh? i'm hoping for the full german sound option though, wouldn't be right with all american voices on a german sub no sir.
Melonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 04:12 PM   #85
horrgakx
Ensign

Downloads: 2

Trailer is a bit cliche American...
horrgakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 04:14 PM   #86
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
I'm a Pacific fan but in the spirit of submarines in general I will purchase SH5. Looks like this could be a good one and enough to draw me back to the dreary impending Atlantic theater. Then again, it all depends if the motor men wear coconuts shells like a bra and dance for me
Spoken like a true RFB.....erm sub simmer fan

I want the best of both worlds....a PTO addon 3 months or so after the original release

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 04:14 PM   #87
Kresge
Engineer

Downloads: 4

A new Silent Hunter release is always something to look forward too!

Glad to see some of the old guys are still around (Steve pushing 20,000 posts!), but I'm already put off again by the noobs and their bitching about little details in a trailer for a game that is many, many months away from being released.
Old 08-17-09, 04:15 PM   #88
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

Looks good until now.. the new interior life should improve immersion a lot.. graphics update looks ok.. some work for the special effects and the 3d models should be done. Lightning looks good. Now they should rework the AI and integrate WOLFPACKS!! Along with this, a nice and real harbour with bar and meeting point would make a really great new SH game.

keep on the hard work devs, listen to the community and have a look to the big mods from SH3
Old 08-17-09, 04:17 PM   #89
geosub1978
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 229

I have only one thing to tell:

I don't care about the trailer's impressions and also I don't care if SH5 is out in March or in June. I hope that it will be ready when it WILL BE ready and not just as early as possible like SH4.
Old 08-17-09, 04:18 PM   #90
Gairith
Planesman

Downloads: 4

Will definitely have to surface for this one.

GWX 2.1 - SH3 Commander 3.2 - OLC Ubermod 2.4.2
-
DiD
Gairith is offline   Reply With Quote