SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-05-11, 12:47 AM   #1
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Operation Monsun Installed, have a few questions.

So I got it finally installed and I have to say Im very impressed, other than the GUI (Again I liked SH3s better) I really like the look and feel of the game! It looks unbelieveable and it even runs smoother than Sh3 does!! Thats a plus, on top of that I think the water and such looks so much more real than Sh3. But I have a few questions.

While Im getting used to the crew management, if someone could is there a guide explaining how to work it?? As well as damage control.

Secondly, Do ships in OM sink the same way as they do in GWX?? (By flooding or structural integrity?) I havent played SH4 enough to find out if they do.

third, when in the periscope view, I couldnt help but notice there was no Gyroangle setting to tell me after I had ID'd and done the calculations for a target where to set my periscope. Whered it go??

And finally, are there any other mods you all reccomend to run with OM?? I currently have OM and Omegu thats it.
Thanks guys!!

Casey
Old 02-05-11, 02:01 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
So I got it finally installed and I have to say Im very impressed, other than the GUI (Again I liked SH3s better)
That was a common complaint when the original game was released, and again when UBM was released. Unfortunately it's pretty much what there is. After awhile you do get used to it though.

Quote:
I really like the look and feel of the game! It looks unbelieveable and it even runs smoother than Sh3 does!! Thats a plus, on top of that I think the water and such looks so much more real than Sh3. But I have a few questions.
It runs smoother because they broke up the campaign into six-month segments. This means that the game loads faster and plays smoother, because it doesn't have to deal with everything for the entire war.

Quote:
While Im getting used to the crew management, if someone could is there a guide explaining how to work it?? As well as damage control.
It's fairly straightforward. Much simpler than SH3's because the crew rotate themselves. One shift will be darker than the others. This is the watch that is currently on duty. The others will be performing "Maintainance", which means that they're off-duty, awake and doing whatever they feel like, and some are asleep.

Three things to remember about the crew:

1. If you're going into combat, call Battle Stations. This will put the entire boat on alert, and the best-qualified men for each job will take the place of whoever was on duty at the time. The Engineer on duty will be replaced by the Chief Engineer. Not only will efficiency improve, but you'll see the character change.

Don't forget to Secure From General Quarters when you go back to cruising mode, or you'll suddenly find everyone asleep on duty because they've all been up too long.

2. The one thing they made worse is the gun crew. Unlike SH3 if you call "Man The Deck Gun", nothing will happen. You have to figure out which of your men are the best-qualified gunners and put them in the gun slots before anything will happen. And take them out again so they can do their regular jobs.

3. The other thing they made worse is the bridge crew. Not in-and-of themselves, but when you dive the game thinks they are still on the bridge. They won't drown or anything, but they can be killed by depth charges. You need to put as many as you can in the Conning Tower slots and the rest in the specially-provided slots above the Damage-Control Team. This isn't a problem during normal dives; only when you're under attack.

Quote:
Secondly, Do ships in OM sink the same way as they do in GWX?? (By flooding or structural integrity?) I havent played SH4 enough to find out if they do.
Even better. Not only do they have variable sink rates, but you won't get the "Enemy Unit Destroyed" message until the ship actually sinks. So you don't know for sure you've sunk it until the last minute.

Quote:
third, when in the periscope view, I couldnt help but notice there was no Gyroangle setting to tell me after I had ID'd and done the calculations for a target where to set my periscope. Whered it go??
That I can't help you with. I've never been any good at manual targetting, which upsets me because SH4 doesn't have the Weapons Officer Assistance function.

Quote:
And finally, are there any other mods you all reccomend to run with OM?? I currently have OM and Omegu thats it.
There are lots of fun mods out there. All I can do is tell you which ones I run.

Besides OM and OMEGU, I use:

Conning Tower Open Hatch
Smaller Moon & Sun
Webster's Real Lifeboats
Webster's Smaller Rain
Office Mod
Real Clothes
Setup Trans-Atlantic Radio and BBC
SH4 Trans-Atlantic Radio
DBSM SH4 (gotta have those Das Boot sounds)

There are lots of others, and I'm constantly experimenting, but those are all I'm using at the moment.
Old 02-05-11, 06:15 AM   #3
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
That was a common complaint when the original game was released, and again when UBM was released. Unfortunately it's pretty much what there is. After awhile you do get used to it though.

It runs smoother because they broke up the campaign into six-month segments. This means that the game loads faster and plays smoother, because it doesn't have to deal with everything for the entire war.

It's fairly straightforward. Much simpler than SH3's because the crew rotate themselves. One shift will be darker than the others. This is the watch that is currently on duty. The others will be performing "Maintainance", which means that they're off-duty, awake and doing whatever they feel like, and some are asleep.

Three things to remember about the crew:

1. If you're going into combat, call Battle Stations. This will put the entire boat on alert, and the best-qualified men for each job will take the place of whoever was on duty at the time. The Engineer on duty will be replaced by the Chief Engineer. Not only will efficiency improve, but you'll see the character change.

Don't forget to Secure From General Quarters when you go back to cruising mode, or you'll suddenly find everyone asleep on duty because they've all been up too long.

2. The one thing they made worse is the gun crew. Unlike SH3 if you call "Man The Deck Gun", nothing will happen. You have to figure out which of your men are the best-qualified gunners and put them in the gun slots before anything will happen. And take them out again so they can do their regular jobs.

3. The other thing they made worse is the bridge crew. Not in-and-of themselves, but when you dive the game thinks they are still on the bridge. They won't drown or anything, but they can be killed by depth charges. You need to put as many as you can in the Conning Tower slots and the rest in the specially-provided slots above the Damage-Control Team. This isn't a problem during normal dives; only when you're under attack.

Even better. Not only do they have variable sink rates, but you won't get the "Enemy Unit Destroyed" message until the ship actually sinks. So you don't know for sure you've sunk it until the last minute.

That I can't help you with. I've never been any good at manual targetting, which upsets me because SH4 doesn't have the Weapons Officer Assistance function.

There are lots of fun mods out there. All I can do is tell you which ones I run.

Besides OM and OMEGU, I use:

Conning Tower Open Hatch
Smaller Moon & Sun
Webster's Real Lifeboats
Webster's Smaller Rain
Office Mod
Real Clothes
Setup Trans-Atlantic Radio and BBC
SH4 Trans-Atlantic Radio
DBSM SH4 (gotta have those Das Boot sounds)

There are lots of others, and I'm constantly experimenting, but those are all I'm using at the moment.
Well even when you didnt have manual targeting enabled in Sh3 whenever you locked onto a ship in the bottom right of the Attack P view there was a gyroangle indicator and when it was on 0 was when you fired.

Thanks though for the reply! I have to say Im pretty darn impressed with OM and Im gonna try it out for a while. I still do like Sh3 Alot however, you said before that the only thing that keeps your from switching to Sh4 entirely is the lack of a commander?? Is there any chance someone might make one for Sh4 ?? Thatd be great if they could or did.
Old 02-05-11, 10:54 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
Well even when you didnt have manual targeting enabled in Sh3 whenever you locked onto a ship in the bottom right of the Attack P view there was a gyroangle indicator and when it was on 0 was when you fired.
I never even looked to see that. Hmm...

Quote:
...you said before that the only thing that keeps your from switching to Sh4 entirely is the lack of a commander?? Is there any chance someone might make one for Sh4 ?? Thatd be great if they could or did.
JScones said a long time ago that he wasn't interested. Someone a long time ago did say he was going to do something similar, but nothing ever came of it and he's been gone so long I don't even remember who it was. Back when GWX4 was under discussion I had a phone conversation with someone who told me he could do it, but GWX is dead and he's been busy with other projects, so I haven't brought it up again.
Old 02-05-11, 04:03 PM   #5
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Well just out of curiosity how hard would it be to make a sh4 cmdr
For someone who could mod? I mean, I'd love to see it.
Old 02-06-11, 12:01 AM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

A modder couldn't do it at all. It takes someone who knows programming inside and out to actually write a new program.
Old 02-06-11, 12:03 AM   #7
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
A modder couldn't do it at all. It takes someone who knows programming inside and out to actually write a new program.
Darn, well on a second note, I just did a patrol and I really didnt see any ships (only 2 that were british) And secondly, is there a mod for the waves?? I mean the water looks fantastic, especially when its calm, but when the sea is nasty the waves dont look too real, they look to.. whats the word, polygonal?? with edges and such.

And Ive figured out that my computer doesnt like the fog, 9 fps for me