SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-02-10, 12:05 AM   #1
corsair15
Watch

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default U-Boat Add-on & Ideas

First I just wanted to start off by asking some basic questions, because I have some conflicting ideas about what the U-Boat Add-On really is.

What submarines come in the add-on that are playable?
The only two submarines I've confirmed are the Type 9 D/2 and the
Type 18 Walther Turbine U-Boat. However, I've read several threads on this forum where people have been talking about Type 21's and Type 7C's. In one thread a guy said the Type 21 becomes available later in the war, and in others I've seen people say they've modded one in. I'm confused lol.

Do the Kriegsmarine Grid-Maps show up on the maps station (F3) overlapping the original Lat/Long format?

I've had the nerve to venture out into the Atlantic, and sometimes even use the Mission Editor to put me there. When I send a status report it says I'm in Grid Square DQ19 etc.; will I be able to see where these Grids actually are once I have the mod? I'm on 1.4 by the way.

Periscope Zoom Settings, Angle on Bow, Torpedo Spread:
Now we all know the stock version of these lack terribly in helping us destroy our targets. I've found it difficult to identify targets at long range with the stock periscope, my XO is terrible at determining correct Angle on Bow even with extremely long amounts of time to figure it out, and the spread knob has to be turned each time I fire a torpedo. Are these fixed in the Add-On?

Running At Depths below 550 Feet:
It seems that no matter what submarine you use, you can't dive below this level and hover the ship. If you aren't moving at a minimum engine speed of 2/3, the ship continues sinking. Is that issue repaired as well?

Now, I know what you're thinking "Man, nothing's ever good enough for this guy," but the reason I'm asking is because I'm willing to work to fix the bugs that we all hate. Finding solutions for the minor problems with the game and expanding the game even further after that. Some of these problems have been dealt with in certain mods (so I hear) but which ones seem to be plaguing you still?

About SH5:
I know this isn't necessarily the place to discuss it, but I actually do feel this is necessary. Anyone who has read the SH5 Forums and visited the "whine" threads will know the problems SH5 is currently faced with. I wanted to bring this up because I actually cannot play the game. I don't have an active internet connection at my home. (I'm 19 and I live alone on a very limited budget, so cut me some slack ) What I propose (instead of complaining about all the bugs the game has and how it's Ubisoft's responsibility to fix these issues) is offer a solution. The SH5 Platform could be exceptionally great for the Submarine community.

We could add more submarines (since the Type 7C is what we are stuck with), we could add more missions and expand the game even further, and if there are gameplay issues (such as having to run to the engine room to tell the engineer what speed you want to run at; which is the perspective I get from watching videos and reading posts) we could develop two-modes to play in while you're at sea. Two modes such as one being exactly like SH4 with limited ability (Hotkeys for Periscope View, Engine Speed, Switching between battery and diesel propulsion etc.) and the ability to switch back to normal mode at will.

Ok, now that I've rambled on about that let me make my point. My point is, do we continue to modify SH4 to make it a better game; and just keep incorporating new things into it like (Battleship Bismarck, British Carriers, Atlantic Convoys, etc) plus new features that make the game more easily playable, OR do we try and find solutions for both the Submarine Sim Community and Ubisoft both so that SH5 can be used as a platform instead of SH4?

Summary: Original intent was to inquire about whether U-Boat Add-On was a good buy or not and to throw around some ideas.
I'm a man of limited financial means at the moment, and I wouldn't be so critical about it, if it weren't for that specific reason. SH-5 is completely out of the question given I don't have active internet at home, but it does seem to be a better way to go, given that the immersive effect of that platform has a greater magnitude than SH-4.

With all of this in mind, might I inquire of any of you to give me some opinions, and new ideas to run with?

There has to be a way, a solution to the DRM problem players are faced with. I mean seriously, I can't even buy the game. Any ideas on how we (as a community) could influence the Developers to remove it?

And finally, do you think the U-Boat Add-on would be worth my money?

I'm willing to put a great deal of effort into this to make the game a much more pleasing environment to play in, and I'll help out any way that I can.

Thanks for reading and do post a reply,
Corsair15
corsair15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 12:20 AM   #2
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Quote:
The IXd2 and type 18 Walther are the only ones that come with the pack. However, the popular mod Operation Monsun, adds the rest of the U-boat types, and an atlantic campaign to boot.
Quote:
Do the Kriegsmarine Grid-Maps show up on the maps station (F3) overlapping the original Lat/Long format?
I can't jog my brain to remember, but I think so, but it's not very obvious to the point where you can't read the KM grid map
Quote:
I've had the nerve to venture out into the Atlantic, and sometimes even use the Mission Editor to put me there. When I send a status report it says I'm in Grid Square DQ19 etc.; will I be able to see where these Grids actually are once I have the mod?
yes, see the answer to your first question
Quote:
Now we all know the stock version of these lack terribly in helping us destroy our targets. I've found it difficult to identify targets at long range with the stock periscope, my XO is terrible at determining correct Angle on Bow even with extremely long amounts of time to figure it out, and the spread knob has to be turned each time I fire a torpedo. Are these fixed in the Add-On
although I'm not up-to-speed with everything, I'm 99.9% sure there are fixes for this.
Quote:
It seems that no matter what submarine you use, you can't dive below this level and hover the ship. If you aren't moving at a minimum engine speed of 2/3, the ship continues sinking. Is that issue repaired as well?
I believe so.
Quote:
I'm 19 and I live alone on a very limited budget, so cut me some slack
That makes two of us.
Quote:
since the Type 7C is what we are stuck with
actually, you get the VIIA,B,C,and C/41

AS for the rest, SH5 is still mostly virgin ground for modders, unfortunately it's proving to be tougher to get much past eye candy fixed and since support for it is now gone (no more patches, an expansion is as likely as winning the lottery, etc) It's hard to say where it will end up in a couple years time.

HOWEVER!
SH4 has been expanded to include battleships, cruisers, a lot more submarines, with a plethora of environmental mods and other things, you can flavor the game to taste and enjoy the living crap out of it for years to come.
I'm the second in command of The Surface Warfare SuperMod, and we are looking to add a very believable and true-to-life surface campaign for all major navies into SH4, and it looks like you want to help...

as of right now, you can buy both SH4 and the U-boat expansion for like 20 bucks. That's a tank of gas for my car so I know you can foot that much at least, there's no reason not to buy it, as a lot of mods coming out are for 1.5 and are incompatible with 1.4. 1.5 adds a lot to the game and I think it's worth every penny,

hope I helped,
SH427
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 05:09 PM   #3
corsair15
Watch

Downloads: 6

Thanks for the reply man I appreciate it.
corsair15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 05:30 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair15 View Post
As Sledgehammer said, with Op Monsun you get all the same boats that are in SH3, and a great campaign.

Quote:
Yes, and the closer in you zoom, the more specific the location. You can see when you are in AN1836, for example.

Quote:
I've had the nerve to venture out into the Atlantic, and sometimes even use the Mission Editor to put me there. When I send a status report it says I'm in Grid Square DQ19 etc.; will I be able to see where these Grids actually are once I have the mod? I'm on 1.4 by the way.
Yes.

Quote:
Periscope Zoom Settings, Angle on Bow, Torpedo Spread:
Now we all know the stock version of these lack terribly in helping us destroy our targets. I've found it difficult to identify targets at long range with the stock periscope, my XO is terrible at determining correct Angle on Bow even with extremely long amounts of time to figure it out, and the spread knob has to be turned each time I fire a torpedo. Are these fixed in the Add-On?
There are mods that make periscope view that fill the whole screen. As for Officer assistance, to my knowledge SH4 doesn't have that function.

Quote:
Running At Depths below 550 Feet:
Real WW2 submarines couldn't hover. At very slow speeds they tended to sink. That said, I've never seen that happen in SH4, at least not in OM. What mods have you been using in the Pacific?

Quote:
Now, I know what you're thinking "Man, nothing's ever good enough for this guy,"
I was thinking nothing of the kind. In fact, you're post is on the short side for what I see around here sometimes.

Quote:
About SH5:
Yes, the SH5 platform seems to be the best available, but there are still those of us who refuse to buy it as long as the DRM is attached. My internet connection comes and goes, but even if it was perfect I see this thing as being immoral.

Quote:
We could add more submarines (since the Type 7C is what we are stuck with),
People are trying.

Quote:
we could add more missions and expand the game even further,
People are trying.

Quote:
Summary: Original intent was to inquire about whether U-Boat Add-On was a good buy or not and to throw around some ideas.
http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hunter-...8736926&sr=1-1

SH4+UBM fully patched and ready to go, for a very good price.