SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-15, 04:12 PM   #76
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, BigWalleye and sublynx!

As a quick-fix I have removed the new version and uploaded the old one again.

I have to find out what is going on and then fix it.

@BigWalleye: What was your true tonnage when claiming the Bismarck?

Regards, LGN1
Zero. I just started a dummy career, docked immediately, then brought up SH3 Log. I figured it would reject whatever I entered, so I made up an absurd claim. If you mean claimed/credited, I'm not sure - I've since deleted it - but I believe it was 50000/50000. Obviously, they let us get away with one now and then. It happened in RL, too. Just happened when I claimed a whopper for my own amusement.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 03:34 PM   #77
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Ok, I have uploaded a freshly compiled version which, at least on my machine, works fine. It would be great if someone else could check it, too.

@BigWalleye: I checked the script again and your observation concerning the Bismarck should not happen. I also tested it myself and it was not accepted Did you maybe use a delimiter to separate the thousands, e.g., 55,000, like in your post above? That would explain it.

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 05:11 PM   #78
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Ok, I have uploaded a freshly compiled version which, at least on my machine, works fine. It would be great if someone else could check it, too.
I'll take a look.

Quote:
@BigWalleye: I checked the script again and your observation concerning the Bismarck should not happen. I also tested it myself and it was not accepted Did you maybe use a delimiter to separate the thousands, e.g., 55,000, like in your post above? That would explain it.
I don't recall doing anything like that, but I sure wouldn't swear that I didn't.

But I didn't consider it a problem. I'm not in the habit of trying to falsify my patrol results. So I would have to have thought I had a sinking when I didn't, and then SH3 Log would have had to pick that particular report to accept the results without data in the log file. That's an unlikely pile-up of circumstances.
Old 03-02-15, 10:44 AM   #79
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Seems to be working now! I'll report again, when I finish my current patrol.
Old 03-02-15, 06:02 PM   #80
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Ran a test with Kaleun Forscher. Works fine, althought Norton AV doesn't like it! First test I tried, Norton just removed it! But I explained that SH3 Log was OK, so now Norton leaves it alone.

I'm 6 days out on my current patrol, so it will be a while before I have a chance to use it operationally.
Old 03-03-15, 02:56 PM   #81
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Thanks for testing, sublynx & BigWalleye!

I guess it's fine now.

Concerning Norton AV: You can do bad things with such scripts, however, everybody can check my scripts if he wants. Just open the executable with, e.g., 7-zip, and extract the script. Together with a perl tutorial it's quite easy to check what the script does.

Regards, LGN1
Old 03-04-15, 10:26 AM   #82
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Thanks for testing, sublynx & BigWalleye!

I guess it's fine now.

Concerning Norton AV: You can do bad things with such scripts, however, everybody can check my scripts if he wants. Just open the executable with, e.g., 7-zip, and extract the script. Together with a perl tutorial it's quite easy to check what the script does.

Regards, LGN1
Oh, I know your stuff is good! Norton just has an itchy trigger finger.
Old 03-15-15, 12:26 AM   #83
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Just got back from my patrol. Reported two ships sunk. I underreported the other one - I have two identical looking tankers with different tonnages - but again BdU had other sources of information and I got credited more than I actually reported.

I love this mod! I'll never have another career without it (well, that's how I feel now, but let's see how I'll feel when I get FAT's and LUT's hitting something I never even saw...).

I'm guessing me being happy with the added tonnage, and eventually being frustrated with some non-accepted tonnage, might resemble the feelings some of the actual U-boat commanders felt when reading BdU's commentaries on their reports

Anyways the mod works as intended now. No difference between English language used, German, 1st patrol reported, 2nd patrol, German characters like ä ö etc used, everything's working.

Do give this mod a try guys, words can't convey how much this mod changes and adds to the game!
Old 03-31-15, 09:28 AM   #84
ninja turtle
Frogman

Downloads: 249

Hi LGN1

I've been trying this mod for a couple of days tweaking it where necessary, but am a little stuck with using it with SH3 Commander. I think I've followed the instructions correctly where using the ship names is concerned (which is working) but I still don't get any cargo or crew loss information when I open the personnel file.

Hope you can help.

So far I'm liking the idea of your mod, and in the process of trying to take away any unrealistic hints that a ship has sunk.

ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 10:47 AM   #85
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Are you still in the patrol? Commander doesn't generate the names until after the patrol is finished, at which time it creates the report.
Old 03-31-15, 11:27 AM   #86
ninja turtle
Frogman

Hi Sailor Steve.

I'm presently just using a 'testing' kaleun in a IIA boat at the start of the war in Danzig / Helo. As soon as I sink a Polish anchored merchant I dock in Pilau / Danzig (once it's allied) and then submit my patrol results. Before I installed this log mod SH3 Commander worked fine. I quite liked the generated ship name, cargo and crew casualty numbers so I'm rather missing this added immersion.
Old 03-31-15, 02:30 PM   #87
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi ninja turtle,

have you done what is written in point 6:

"6.) Players who use the ship-name feature in SH3 Commander should open the file 'Ship names.cfg' (located in the cfg folder in their SH3 Commander installation) and use the following parameters:

[SETTINGS]
AddText=1

[TEXT]
AddAsNewLine=1

If only ship names should be added (and no cargo information and losses), set 'AddText=0'. In case of 'AddText=1' always choose 'AddAsNewLine=1'.

For the ship-name feature to work properly it is neccessary to use exactly the same name for the type as in the EnglishNames.cfg/GermanNames.cfg in the Sea folder of the SH3 installation. I recommend to put a copy of the EnglishNames.cfg/GermanNames.cfg into the same folder as the executable. The log executable will read this file and offer all the names in a drop-down menu (the included EnglishNames.cfg/GermanNames.cfg is from GWX)."

If yes, have you checked whether the ship type is defined in "Ship names.cfg"?

Regards, LGN1

Old 04-02-15, 06:21 AM   #88
ninja turtle
Frogman

Hi LGN1

Thanks for the reply and apologies for not getting back sooner. I've been tweaking a lot with the game yesterday to try and remove unrealistic notifications. Some work, some work if I have the discipline not to check, and some unfortunately don't. So far I've removed the sunk ship icon on the map, the 'K' key, ship hit by torpedo music, and I'm trying to change the patrol status so that only position and number of torpedoes are available (unfortunately once I sink a ship the patrol status won't update).

Anyway. Here's my current setting for ship names: SH3 Commander-Cfg-Ship names.cfg:

[SETTINGS]
RepeatWhenAllUsed=0
AddText=1

[TEXT]
AddAsNewLine=1
CargoTxt_en=Cargo:
CargoTxt_de=Fracht:
CargoTxt_fr=marchandise :
CrewTxt_en=Crew:
CrewTxt_de=Mannschaft:
CrewTxt_fr=équipage :
CrewLostTxt_en=Crew lost:
CrewLostTxt_de=Mannschaftsverluste:
CrewLostTxt_fr=équipage disparu :
CargoTyps_en=Coal,Timber,General Cargo,Grain,Iron Ore,Foodstuffs,Steel,Scrap Metal,Paper Products,Sulfur,Phosphates,Military Vehicles,Trucks,Aircraft,Explosives,Military Stores,Copper Ore,Sugar,Machinery,Bauxite,Coffee,Textiles,Mail/Packages,Tobacco,Wine/Spirits,Crude Oil,Gasoline,Aviation Fuel,Passengers,Troops
CargoTyps_de=Kohle,Holz,Fracht allgemein,Getreide,Eisenerz,Nahrungsmittel,Stahl,S chrott,Papierprodukte,Schwefel,Phosphate,Militärfa hrzeuge,Lastwagen,Flugzeuge,Sprengstoff,Militäraus rüstung,Kupfererz,Zucker,Maschinen,Bauxit,Kaffee,T extilien,Post/Pakete,Tabak,Wein/Spirituosen,Rohöl,Benzin,Flugbenzin,Passagiere,Tru ppen
CargoTyps_fr=charbon,bois,marchandise principale,grain,minerai de fer,denrées alimentaires,acier,ferraille,produits papiers,soufre,phosphates,véhicules militaires,camions,avions,explosifs,réserves militaires,minerai de cuivre,sucre,machines,bauxite,café,textiles,lettre s/colis,tabac,vins/spiritueux,huile brute,essence,carburant d'avion,passagers,troupes

I've also changed the ship names to what you suggest as per thumbnail. I'm assuming that I don't need to put the German version in as well? The drop down menu works but not the cargo / crew lost on SH3 Commander Personnel file and patrol log.

"For the ship-name feature to work properly it is neccessary to use exactly the same name for the type as in the EnglishNames.cfg/GermanNames.cfg in the Sea folder of the SH3 installation. I recommend to put a copy of the EnglishNames.cfg/GermanNames.cfg into the same folder as the executable. The log executable will read this file and offer all the names in a drop-down menu (the included EnglishNames.cfg/GermanNames.cfg is from GWX)."

Many thanks for putting some excellent ideas into my mind to make the game more realistic and immersive and to have the information to try and have a go.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH3log.jpg (83.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-02-15, 06:31 AM   #89
ninja turtle
Frogman

Hi LGN1

I think I've found what I was doing wrong for the ship cargo and crew losses not appearing in my Personnel file. I've just looked at the SH3 options in SH3 Commander start up and didn't have the "Career options-use real ship names in patrol logs" ticked. I've now done that and the previous ships sunk now have the information in my patrol logs. So once I'm back at sea and sink another ship I'll double check that it works.

Best regards

Old 04-02-15, 08:48 AM   #90
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It's always the little things that come back to bite us. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've asked about a problem and then found it was something small I forgot to do.

"Is it plugged in?"

Anyway, I hope that fixes it for you.