SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-27-16, 10:30 PM   #1
BlindGuyNW
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Simulations Canada

Hi All,

I thought I'd put in a good word for this publisher of old DOS war games, and see if anybody else was familiar with them. The title of most relevance to Subsim enthusiasts is probably Grey Seas, Grey Skies, which is a tactical simulation of Cold War-era naval combat. Its point of view is more or less that of the CIC, so not very good for getting the "feel," of submarine operations, but I still had a lot of fun tooling around in a 688-I the other day, sinking a Soviet battlegroup. It apparently started out life as a training tool, and the public release has been somewhat de-classified.

The other big SimCan game I've been playing lately is Northern Fleet, which is an operational-level campaign in the Norwegian Sea and environs. The submarine content is limited to assigning units to specific sectors, but I get the impression there's quite a lot going on beneath fairly simple game mechanics. This one is a bit harder for me to grasp, as I don't have a tactile map, so have to make do with a virtual one in a spreadsheet. Nevertheless, if you've ever wanted to play SacLant, this is one way to do it.

You can get SimCan games by contacting the publisher, Stephen Newberg, via the Simcan forum at http://www.consimworld.com. I definitely recommend giving them a look, text-based or not.
BlindGuyNW is offline   Reply With Quote