SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-15, 03:10 AM   #6016
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Why do they say pair of pants...when you're only wearing one?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online  
Old 01-06-15, 05:11 AM   #6017
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Probably due to the pair of legs.
Old 01-06-15, 05:12 AM   #6018
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Why do they say pair of pants...when you're only wearing one?
Because there are two equal and opposite legs. Same with a pair of scissors, a pair of glasses and a pair of tweezers.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ly-one-of-them

The author does bring up the interesting question of a pair of panties (or a pair of briefs), since they consist of one small piece with no legs at all.

It's funny that my original reply was that pantaloons consisted of two separate legs tied together and covered at the center with a codpiece, but that turns out to be untrue. Pants and trousers have always been attached in a similar fashion to the way they are now. The 'two-piece' seems to have been a passing fad.
Old 01-06-15, 05:48 AM   #6019
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Yul Brynner says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionclaw View Post
Is it me or do eyebrows grow quicker when you get older?

And I noticed a few years ago that I started getting hairgrowth from my ears.
What is the function of such hair?

Thirty years old last year, I guess it's downhill from here on out.

"There is no need for any man to suffer the embarrassment of hair anywhere above the neckline: in addition to your preferred razor, a good serviceable pair of cosmetic tweezers is all that's needed."
Old 01-07-15, 04:32 AM   #6020
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Is a turtle without a shell naked, homeless or both?

Tomorrow never comes
Old 01-07-15, 07:01 AM   #6021
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
Is a turtle without a shell naked, homeless or both?

Dead, so it doesn't really care
Old 01-07-15, 09:51 AM   #6022
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default How To Annoy Your Wife (2)

Buy her something you really want yourself for Christmas... except she already thought of it and did it to ME!

Among some things I did actually want came a plaque with a Santa face on it. Instead of asking: "What in God's name did you give me this for?" I smiled sweetly and thanked her. I've a good mind to put it on the front of the car and say that since it's mine I can do whatever the hell I want with it...
Old 01-07-15, 10:31 AM   #6023
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhornchen View Post
Buy her something you really want yourself for Christmas... except she already thought of it and did it to ME!

Among some things I did actually want came a plaque with a Santa face on it. Instead of asking: "What in God's name did you give me this for?" I smiled sweetly and thanked her. I've a good mind to put it on the front of the car and say that since it's mine I can do whatever the hell I want with it...
You need help! you're a passive aggressive possibly of the "circuitous subcategory "Opposition displayed in a roundabout, labyrinthine, and ambiguous manner, e.g., procrastination, dawdling, forgetfulness, inefficiency, neglect, stubbornness, indirect and devious in venting resentment and resistant behaviors." It's also a facet of 'Minnesota Nice'! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_nice More of a Jungian than a Freudian thing.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online  
Old 01-07-15, 10:53 AM   #6024
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I plead guilty to all of the above. But that "Minnesota Nice" thing: that's interesting; over here we just call that being British...
Old 01-07-15, 11:17 AM   #6025
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
I plead guilty to all of the above. But that "Minnesota Nice" thing: that's interesting; over here we just call that being British...
It's actually a 'coping mechanism' in any marriage: A: SWMBO picked you ; B: you weren't her first choice; C: she's smarter then you(you're actually her first child and she knows you better than u know yourself); so being a passive aggressive is actually offset warfare...keep your schnorkel up at all times!

Aktungbby is online  
Old 01-07-15, 11:28 AM   #6026
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Sailor Steve: The 'two-piece' seems to have been a passing fad.
A real 'pairadox' it seems One has a brace of pistols or a brace of hounds... a brace of leggings (injun style) if sufficiently starched could very well brace you up if you've imbibed too many Hamm's bracers(technically the libation after the morning Eye-opener) and are treadin' heavy in yer moccasins....

Aktungbby is online  
Old 01-07-15, 12:32 PM   #6027
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

Quote:
I've a good mind to put it on the front of the car and say that since it's mine I can do whatever the hell I want with it...
We want pictures!!
Quote:
It's actually a 'coping mechanism' in any marriage: A: SWMBO picked you ; B: you weren't her first choice; C: she's smarter then you(you're actually her first child and she knows you better than u know yourself); so being a passive aggressive is actually offset warfare...keep your schnorkel up at all times!
Truer words have seldom been spoken...

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Old 01-07-15, 01:18 PM   #6028
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Quote:
A real 'pairadox' it seems One has a brace of pistols or a brace of hounds... a brace of leggings (injun style) if sufficiently starched could very well brace you up if you've imbibed too many Hamm's bracers(technically the libation after the morning Eye-opener) and are treadin' heavy in yer moccasins....
Don't forget a brace of pheasants; but why, then, do we say a pair of bollocks, since they also are mostly used for sport?
Old 01-07-15, 01:22 PM   #6029
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default ST NICK??? You're going to need a bigger dashboard BBY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango589 View Post
We want pictures!!
For all contingencies behind the wheel!
and my favorite-(he's getting his point across ST Michael

Aktungbby is online  
Old 01-07-15, 01:56 PM   #6030
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default No pair of bollocks talk in the Kreigsmarine

Quote:
Don't forget a brace of pheasants; but why, then, do we say a pair of bollocks, since they also are mostly used for sport?
The Brace of Pheasant Inn at plush Dorchester! Some background for a spaniel painting?; I prefer Yoke of Oxen myself out of deference to those er's still in boy soprano choirs! or otherwise undescended...as with our beloved Führer??!Talk about a lone-nut theory! We must B PC...And in this case more Freudian than Jungian!!! http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/881/did-hitler-have-only-one-testicle

Aktungbby is online  
Closed Thread

Tags
random thought