SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-04-15, 02:28 PM   #106
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
It's not that the .exe files aren't modifiable. It's that we chose not to because they are Ubi's property and messing with them is hacking, not modding.
IIRC so long as you do what h.sie with his hardcoded fixes it's legal.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-15, 08:14 PM   #107
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586

I think another thing that should be fixed, is the stupid behavior of aircraft, it can be really annoying when planes will just crash because of there bad skills.
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-15, 10:44 PM   #108
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by avers View Post
I think another thing that should be fixed, is the stupid behavior of aircraft, it can be really annoying when planes will just crash because of there bad skills.
Don't think that can be fixed outside of messing with the games code. Which brings me to another point on doing an SH4 version of hard coded fixes. Warning slight rant incoming which i'll spoiler for those who don't wanna read it.

Something i've never understood about SH4 modders is the reasoning behind not wanting to crack the games code. Yes it's illegal BUT ONLY IF YOU SHARE THE DANG .EXE FILE! Do something like what H.Sie did or TheDarkWraith did and it's perfectly legal. Make a tool for someone to download that edits the .exe file instead of sharing the hacked .exe file and it's fine. We keep limiting ourselves when if we put our minds to trying to crack the .exe for SH4 we can improve it beyond our wildest dreams. We do this and who know what we could find. The bug that occasionally wipes out the conning tower and ruins careers? We might find an fix it if we look into it. Not only would that end a career ruining bug but it would also fix the only major mod for the U-Boat side of the game.

We could overnight change the modding scene for SH4 if people would just check it out. We could potentially make SH4 the best game of the series for both Fleet Boat AND U-Boat fans. We could finally make SH4 live up to its potential.
Old 08-07-15, 12:21 AM   #109
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Don't think that can be fixed outside of messing with the games code. .....
I was under the impression that the main obstacle to this was that hardly anyone knows enough to do pull it off.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 12:26 AM   #110
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I was under the impression that the main obstacle to this was that hardly anyone knows enough to do pull it off.

It's not that we don't know enough it'd the fact no one has ever seemed to try messing with the code for SH4 even though its been done in SH3 and SH5.
Old 08-07-15, 08:25 AM   #111
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
We could potentially make SH4 the best game of the series for both Fleet Boat AND U-Boat fans. We could finally make SH4 live up to its potential.
It already is.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 09:06 AM   #112
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Capn_Scurvy, with regards to ship models, I would point out the the US lacks an accurate Essex-class (the RSRDC one seems to be identical to the early Wasp), Independence-class light carrier, and South Dakota-class battleship. Also there's no British fleet carrier; I'm pretty sureI could clone a US carrier and put in the correct guns/planes, but I can't fix the .zon etc to model the armored flight deck. If this is beyond the purview of your vision, no biggie

Last edited by Crannogman; 08-07-15 at 09:43 AM.
Crannogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 09:39 AM   #113
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
It's not so much "there bad skills", but how the models are put together.

For instance, RSRDC introduces the American "Avenger" plane model. Good, we need the plane in-game....its a worthy addition! But, go to the Museum and let the plane fly for about 3 to 4 minutes. The plane will slowly nose up, stall, then nose straight down into the sea. This behavior will keep the Avenger from every seeing the light of day in-game....you'll never see it because it crashed somewhere off camera as it did in the Museum. I found out why and have since corrected it, but it's this kind of thing that creates issues we never expect.

After all, who spends time in the Museum watching the assets fly along?.........Well, OK......I guess I do.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 09:40 AM   #114
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
It already is.
I love SH3, SH4 and SH5 when its modded and can honestly say that SH4 isn't the best when it comes to U-Boats. The only megamod for it Op Monsun is glitchy as heck and there is the slight problem of the game derping out every time you get a new conning tower thus ruining the career. That bug gets fixed and you can easily argue that SH4 is also the best for U-Boats but until then it'll be SH3 running GWX3.0 easily.
Old 08-07-15, 11:04 AM   #115
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Quote:
I love SH3, SH4 and SH5 when its modded and can honestly say that SH4 isn't the best when it comes to U-Boats. The only megamod for it Op Monsun is glitchy as heck and there is the slight problem of the game derping out every time you get a new conning tower thus ruining the career. That bug gets fixed and you can easily argue that SH4 is also the best for U-Boats but until then it'll be SH3 running GWX3.0 easily.
I can say with 99% confidence that this mod is not aimed at playing U-boats
Old 08-07-15, 12:10 PM   #116
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crannogman View Post
I can say with 99% confidence that this mod is not aimed at playing U-boats
I know that. I'm just saying that if we start messing about with the code of SH4 we can make it the absolute best game for both Fleet and U-Boats.
Old 08-07-15, 12:12 PM   #117
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
I know that. I'm just saying that if we start messing about with the code of SH4 we can make it the absolute best game for both Fleet and U-Boats.
I agree with u, H sie messed with SH3's code and made one of the best mod kits for the game. We should do the same.
Old 08-07-15, 12:42 PM   #118
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
I agree with u, H sie messed with SH3's code and made one of the best mod kits for the game. We should do the same.
Don't forget TheDarkWraith and his code fixes for SH5 which vastly improved the game. Who know what bugs we could end up fixing if we messed with the code. Who knows what we could unlock as well that Ubi hid away in it. We could change how people mod SH4 forever.
Old 08-07-15, 01:46 PM   #119
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Don't forget TheDarkWraith and his code fixes for SH5 which vastly improved the game. Who know what bugs we could end up fixing if we messed with the code. Who knows what we could unlock as well that Ubi hid away in it. We could change how people mod SH4 forever.
Maybe we can make that a mission for the NMTF.
Old 08-07-15, 01:54 PM   #120
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Maybe we can make that a mission for the NMTF.
Yes! Now we just need someone who's good with code and has experience with SH3's code.