SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-15, 08:06 PM   #91
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Great work in all respects. Although many of the ship models from the game are quite good, the lack of correct weaponry (especially on ships like battleships & cruisers) annoys me.

I am also pleased with the visibility improvement; I love TMO but I had suspected that it took too long for islands to become visible. It looks like my gut feeling was right.

By the way, any chance that the camouflage for US Navy ships will be corrected? I believe the developers were trying to reproduce Measure 32 (seen below) with the skins for stock ships - however, this was not used until 1944 IIRC. It's always been jarring to see Measure 32-painted battleships, for example, when I'm playing in 1942 or 1943. Keep up the great work!

Last edited by iambecomelife; 08-01-15 at 06:02 AM.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 10:14 AM   #92
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

AVGWarHawk!! Good to hear from you my friend

We go a long way back when SWDW was asking for our help in resurrecting Real Fleet Boat.

===========

iambecomelife, good to hear from you too! Your efforts within "Wolves of the Kaiser" show your perseverance to detail outmatched by any of us!!

You're right about the stock ships not having their sensors or armament intact. I ran across this when putting a Jap CV in front of me during a test mission. 1000 yards away, I could surface with no reaction from the carrier except for finally getting planes from the carrier to attack some time later. The carrier had no gun armament at all.

That's a good point about the ship paint schemes. I'm pretty sure that can be corrected. I'm also going to look into changing the planes roundels and paint schemes for pre war activity (since I plan to offer an early November 1941 start from Groton Conn.). My plan is to have a new recruit leave New London, taking a sub to Pearl on a "shake down" cruise. Stops in New York, Panama Canal, San Fransisco.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 07:34 PM   #93
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
That's great! I'm looking forward to trying it out.

So far, I'm running into my usual "summer time" issues of not finding time to work on my projects. Keeping up with the forum is about the only thing I've been doing on the computer.
PM me your email, and I'll send you a zip file of what I've got so far
Old 08-02-15, 09:42 PM   #94
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
My plan is to have a new recruit leave New London, taking a sub to Pearl on a "shake down" cruise. Stops in New York, Panama Canal, San Fransisco.
That would be awesome! Just an FYI for some reason SH4 has the problem of not taking into account transfers until the second patrol from the new base. If you could find a way to fix that so whenever I do something like TMO's New Construction start I don't have my first mission from Pearl ask me to do training of the Cali coast that'd be nice.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 10:46 PM   #95
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65

This mod looks cool. I was wondering if for the career start if you sub is in Pearl you can be there during the attack? Or would this be too difficult to do?
Ludwig van Hursh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 08:58 AM   #96
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey
......for some reason SH4 has the problem of not taking into account transfers until the second patrol from the new base. If you could find a way to fix that so whenever I do something like TMO's New Construction start I don't have my first mission from Pearl ask me to do training of the Cali coast that'd be nice.
I'll look into this needing a "second patrol" transfer thing, but it could be hard coded.

I'm planning on making the New London "base" time frame as short as possible, making your new base, Pearl, in-route. It won't be a transfer, but a permanent base reassignment (like the other base changes).

================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Hursh
I was wondering if for the career start if you sub is in Pearl you can be there during the attack? Or would this be too difficult to do?
Not too difficult......a mission file is a mission file. How to incorporate the raid into the game with you in it is the question. One thing that stands out...... I don't think the entire number of ships/planes could be used in-game. Too many resources, not enough game "guts" to handle the encounter. We'll see.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 08-03-15, 05:20 PM   #97
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Not too difficult......a mission file is a mission file. How to incorporate the raid into the game with you in it is the question. One thing that stands out...... I don't think the entire number of ships/planes could be used in-game. Too many resources, not enough game "guts" to handle the encounter. We'll see.
Wait so there isn't like events in the game such as Midway? EVERYTHING I THOUGHT I KNEW IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol Okay well if you could it would be awesome. Would love to change a little history and shoot down some extra planes.
Ludwig van Hursh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 08:23 PM   #98
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
I'll look into this needing a "second patrol" transfer thing, but it could be hard coded.

I'm planning on making the New London "base" time frame as short as possible, making your new base, Pearl, in-route. It won't be a transfer, but a permanent base reassignment (like the other base changes).

================

Thanks. Also pretty sure the game can handle the Pearl Attack. I know for a fact RSRDC has the Okinawa invasion fleet which I ran smack dab into the middle of once. Hell it's got the entire Midway operation and the game runs just fine when you're in the middle of it. Only difference with all the ships is that the game lags greater then normal when using TC compared to when you're normally around a large amount of ships.
Old 08-03-15, 09:23 PM   #99
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Thanks. Also pretty sure the game can handle the Pearl Attack. I know for a fact RSRDC has the Okinawa invasion fleet which I ran smack dab into the middle of once. Hell it's got the entire Midway operation and the game runs just fine when you're in the middle of it. Only difference with all the ships is that the game lags greater then normal when using TC compared to when you're normally around a large amount of ships.
True. In GFO with RSRDC I was assigned to wait the Nagumo carriers. I see as John Gay the Midway battle from my boat scope. Lots of planes explosions fire ships... SH4 can handle it.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 09:30 PM   #100
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105

Not to keen on modding but try to follow along with the thread reading,
I remember reading something Ducimus wrote about (ripping the guts out of vanilla sh4) removing the unwanted fluff that was taking up disk space. Is this also what Lurker did in RSRDC to gain more mb or gigs?
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 11:31 PM   #101
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
True. In GFO with RSRDC I was assigned to wait the Nagumo carriers. I see as John Gay the Midway battle from my boat scope. Lots of planes explosions fire ships... SH4 can handle it.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
You know in all my time playing TMO i've never actually just sat back and watched the battle. The carriers just end up being to tempting of a target for me to let the flyboys get the tonnage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fithah4 View Post
I remember reading something Ducimus wrote about (ripping the guts out of vanilla sh4) removing the unwanted fluff that was taking up disk space. Is this also what Lurker did in RSRDC to gain more mb or gigs?
Wonder how much of that is leftovers from SH3 since IIRC SH4 was built using SH3 as its base.
Old 08-04-15, 05:39 AM   #102
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Believe me, I've thought more than once about how to remove all of the German side of things within SH4!! Sorry U-Boat's......stay in the Atlantic!!

But the mess within the menu_1024_768.ini file would be more than anyone should handle.

Quote:
Old 08-04-15, 09:32 AM   #103
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fithah4 View Post
There is also a nasty secret lurking beneath the surface in SH4. The SH3 team was different from the SH4 team. Each member had his own realm of responsibility of course, and the engine team didn't make it to SH4. Well, SH4 needed those engine routines but NOBODY understood how they worked. Instead of getting four independently governed engines, we got two that worked together as in SH3. Why? Because that engine module was a black box to the SH4 crew who didn't know how to change it. SH4 is FULL of black boxes that the SH4 team didn't know more than "feed it this and this comes out" about. therefore our submarines insist on having some of the limitations of the U-Boat and it's hard-coded--beyond even the SH4 developers' ability to fix.

Therefore, if you are foolish enough to run all night submerged and surface at dusk to seek battle, your motors will run ahead emergency, all four of them, until the battery is charged regardless of what your throttle setting is. Your sub will drink fuel like a ten year-old at the county fair drinks Coca-Cola. You have no ability to put 1 and 2 on propulsion, 3 and 4 on recharging. And all recharging is done on full ahead emergency throttle. No changes are possible without hacking. And we're not going to hack.

Also, it looks like you can set the TDC for 4½ knots target speed, but that's a lie. It is settable only in full knot increments no matter where the pointer is pointing! All degrees are whole degrees too. Hard coded. No changes possible.

No matter what, realism is not on the menu. And if we emphasize some realistic aspects, that is at the cost of losing others. It always amuses me to see someone lamenting "unrealistic" water color. There is no realistic water color.

I've seen people threaten to quit the game because Zeros are carrying bombs. They didn't do that in the war, you know. When I spot an enemy plane on the radar, I'm not waiting to identify it and grouse about whether it's the right plane or not, I'm diving before he sees me, staying down until he can't and I can't see him, then surfacing. I really don't care if it's Dumbo the Elephant up there, I have to allow that it could be a bad guy carrying loud booms. And I'll never see him anyway.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 10:51 AM   #104
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

I really wish h.sie started looking into SH4 and made a hardcoded fixes for it. He cracked SH3's code and since SH4 is built on the SH3 engine it should be easier to figure out.
Old 08-04-15, 01:46 PM   #105
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

It's not that the .exe files aren't modifiable. It's that we chose not to because they are Ubi's property and messing with them is hacking, not modding.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote