SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: What time period would you like the Cold War Mod to encompass?
Early Cold War: 1947 to the early 1960s 148 14.20%
Mid Cold War: 1960s to 1980s 195 18.71%
Late Cold War: 1980's to 1991 147 14.11%
I want the whole thing! 1947 to 1991 552 52.98%
Voters: 1042. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-08, 02:23 PM   #151
u-168
Planesman

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default sub

is eny new sub avalible as a add-on eny cold war sub to download not looking on forums if so not to be offensive there but is their eny ?????? thanks all keep up the posts

u-168

..- | | | | | .- .-. -.-. - .. -.-. | .-- --- .-.. ..-. | --- -. | - .... . | .--. .-. --- .-- .-..

http://www.scoutnet.nl/~inter/morse/morseform.html

Commander Of The Vladimir Lenin Akula-Typhoon Class Ballistic Missile Submarine
u-168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 02:37 PM   #152
AG124
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4
Surface Ships

Just wondering - have you found any appropriate surface ships yet?:hmm: I would be especially interested in seeing some new merchants.

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
http://www.thegreywolves.com/index.html
AG124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 02:41 PM   #153
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Depends on the era of the cold war. 1950's merchants won't differ much from 1940's merchants.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 03:31 PM   #154
AG124
Sea Lord

Modern Shipping

I thought this mod was intended for the late 1960s. Although I could very well be wrong.

Whether the mod is going to take place in the 1950s or 60s, I think the Passenger Liner (NPPL) from SHIII is one you should keep in mind - her bridge always looked too modern for a typical WWII liner. Although there were a couple of newer liners that looked like that in the 40s.

Also the SHIII German merchant raider (which was included in SHIV and which was cloned as a freighter by Sergbuto back in the early days of SHIII) could fit in either a 50s or 60s time period, mostly because of her blocky and solid bridge and larger size (she reminds me of a French freighter named the Daoula (spelled wrong?) that sank in the Western Atlantic in the 1960s in bad weather). Whether the mod will take place in the 50s or 60s though, one should try to avoid the smallest and oldest looking merchants of both SHIII and SHIV - especially Japanese ones that have distinctive Japanese profiles.

I would like to see some newer post-war freighters with aft-superstructures, and maybe some slightly larger tankers as well (not like today's supertankers, but some Torrey Conyon-sized units would work well). I think it was about 1976 before tankers (and lakers) were generally built without the forward superstructure (i.e. aft-superstructure only) so the current split-superstructure scheme should still work. Just some observations - I'll post more thoughts later.:hmm:

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
Old 03-20-08, 04:13 PM   #155
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

I think two different teams/people are going into two directions. Capt. Jack is probably going to focus on post-WWII to early 60's-ish. Some other guys have been messing with 688i, Typhoon, etc. boats.

I agree that older Japanese freighters should be left out, mainly because most of them were sunk by war's end. Japan had a fairly new fleet of merchies in the 50's.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 05:01 PM   #156
AG124
Sea Lord

Japanese Merchants

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sarsfield
I agree that older Japanese freighters should be left out, mainly because most of them were sunk by war's end. Japan had a fairly new fleet of merchies in the 50's.
Definitely. But also, I meant that they shouldn't be used as generic representations/'fill ins' of post-war merchants for other nations because of the their older and distinct appearance.

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
Old 03-22-08, 07:23 AM   #157
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by badaboom
Hello,IS anyone having trouble installing this with Vista?I extract the files to JSME but all I see is a folder called Data,I need help Thanks.
****EDIT***** I did get it to work[installed directly into SH4 folder[not sure if that was right thing to do]

The L.A.688i is a BEAUTY!!!!!!

Last edited by badaboom; 03-22-08 at 11:57 AM.
badaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 09:18 AM   #158
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG124
I thought this mod was intended for the late 1960s. Although I could very well be wrong.

Whether the mod is going to take place in the 1950s or 60s, I think the Passenger Liner (NPPL) from SHIII is one you should keep in mind - her bridge always looked too modern for a typical WWII liner. Although there were a couple of newer liners that looked like that in the 40s.

Also the SHIII German merchant raider (which was included in SHIV and which was cloned as a freighter by Sergbuto back in the early days of SHIII) could fit in either a 50s or 60s time period, mostly because of her blocky and solid bridge and larger size (she reminds me of a French freighter named the Daoula (spelled wrong?) that sank in the Western Atlantic in the 1960s in bad weather). Whether the mod will take place in the 50s or 60s though, one should try to avoid the smallest and oldest looking merchants of both SHIII and SHIV - especially Japanese ones that have distinctive Japanese profiles.

I would like to see some newer post-war freighters with aft-superstructures, and maybe some slightly larger tankers as well (not like today's supertankers, but some Torrey Conyon-sized units would work well). I think it was about 1976 before tankers (and lakers) were generally built without the forward superstructure (i.e. aft-superstructure only) so the current split-superstructure scheme should still work. Just some observations - I'll post more thoughts later.:hmm:
Very good points.

I agree it will probably be best to do away with some of the default old steamer models - although a few of them survived well into the 70's they would have already started to become rare by the postwar era.

Several ships like the T-3 and C-2 could be enlarged by maybe 10-20 percent to represent the size increases in merchant ships.

To REALLY get the ships to look cold-war-esque they should probably have a lot of streamlining. It always amuses me that many 21st Century vessels are blocky, with little streamlining - these days an excessively streamlined, supposedly "modern" look is a dead giveaway that a ship was built circa 1950. The "United States" and "Andrea Doria" were/are prime examples of the streamlining craze.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 04:30 PM   #159
(SH3)JOHN LAMARRE
Bosun

Downloads: 152

Anyway To Play On Campion Mode THE 688I
(SH3)JOHN LAMARRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 04:40 PM   #160
badaboom
Weps

I think it needs to be scripted in[a whole new campaign needs to be created]you can use them as US SUBS in quick mission.
Old 03-22-08, 05:08 PM   #161
(SH3)JOHN LAMARRE
Bosun

Downloads: 152

Quote:
I think it needs to be scripted in[a whole new campaign needs to be created]you can use them as US SUBS in quick mission.

to bad those ships would be scrap in a second
(SH3)JOHN LAMARRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-08, 05:48 PM   #162
badaboom
Weps

I'm having a great time sailing in the 688i Hunter/Killer,you can slip in IJN Task Forces and reek havoc

then you can run for the fathoms and put your nuke reactor in rabbit and out run those pesky Destroyers on the ocean floor!!!

Oh Christ I gotta get rid of the Nurse aviator!!!!!
Old 03-23-08, 06:40 PM   #163
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39
Default "This is the USS Los Angeles. Where the hell are we?"

How to enable the 688i in the US Campaign:

Remember to back up all files before editing, or even better, make your own mod that you can enable and disable with JSGME.

Open Data/UPCData/UPCCampaignData/Flotillas.upc
Code:
[Flotilla X.UserPlayerUnitType Y]
ID= FX688i
NameDisplayable= Los Angeles Class
AvailabilityInterval= 1941-01-01, NULL
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= 688i
UnitTypeCommonality= 15  
IDFlotillaLinkTransferTo= NULL
Find the flotilla where you want to start your career, and scroll down to the UserPlayerUnitType listings. Replace one of the listings with what you see above, replacing the two X with the number of the flotilla and Y with the listing you chose.

Now open CareerStart.upc from the same folder
Code:
[CareerStart 1]
ID= Beginning
NameDisplayable= December 6th 1941
StartTimeInterval=1941-12-06, 1942-01-01
BackgroundPic= Base.tga                     ; picture that is displayed on the background when this option is selected
CareerStartBriefingText=    The war has just started, and we're being beaten.
RenownOptions= 0, 1000, 2000

[CareerStart 1.Flotilla 1]
ID= C1Flotilla1
NameDisplayable= Pearl Harbor
IDLinkFlotilla= PearlHarborCommand 				; link to ID in Flotilla upc file
IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F1Porpoise, 3, F1Tambor, 4, F1Gar, 2, F1Narwhal, 2, F1688i, 10	; enumeration of ID(s) that point to submarine upc file
FlotillaBriefingText= 						; seems to have no function
FlotillaCommonality= 1  					; to be used when a random choice is assigned
Add only the bold part to the careerstart of your liking. As you can see we must add "Fx688i, 10" where x is the number of the flotilla . Had we chosen for example Gar, then we'd replace "F1Gar, 2" with "F1688i, 10". Makes sense?

Now go kick their ass, because the 688 absolutely rules in the WW2 environment

Last edited by Fincuan; 03-24-08 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Corrected a few mistakes
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-08, 09:02 PM   #164
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

Quote:
I'm having a great time sailing in the 688i Hunter/Killer,you can slip in IJN Task Forces and reek havoc

then you can run for the fathoms and put your nuke reactor in rabbit and out run those pesky Destroyers on the ocean floor!!!

Oh Christ I gotta get rid of the Nurse aviator!!!!!
"AHHH The U.S is usein' teh H4X!!!"-japanese destroyer commander
Old 03-24-08, 10:04 AM   #165
Angeldust
Swabbie

Downloads: 22

Hey People ...
I'm new here and have read the whole Article by now.. it's quite interesting that some people have managed to do a "cold war mod" for sh4 finally...i've been waiting for something like this since i've begun to play sh2 ...

for some reason i've not been able to download the 688i and the other one ..
do the links have changed or do they have some problems with their servers?
in fact, i would love to sail a 688 class in the game so could anyone give me a link to this one that is NOT broken?

oh - i almost forgot - is there a chance that someone does a COMPLETE "cold war mod" with some nuclear subs , e.g. perhaps even a typhoon class?
hope 2 get some replies soon

greetz from germany

A.D.

P.S. sorry if my english is bad sometimes - it's only german school english
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote