SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-09, 04:29 PM   #1
chaparral
Nub

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Help request: Un-nerfing the RFB deck gun

Hi, I’m fairly new to SH4 but recently started playing with the RFB mod. Over all it's a huge improvement over the stock game, but I like blowing stuff up with the deck gun and would like to adjust it a bit so that it's more usable.

What I want to do is fairly simple (I think) but I dont have alot of experience editing data files on a game like this so I just wanted to get a little direction.

1) I want to swap the graphics file, replacing the RFB graphic with the stock game graphic so that the simple "crosshair" sight in normal view is not obscured and I can aim the gun at close range and actually see what I’m aiming at.

From what I saw in another thread it looks like the file to edit is the .eqp file in the submarine/subname folder. Is this correct and is it as simple as replacing the text reference with the one for the original graphic, copied from the stock game file?

2) I’d also like to reduce how much the barrel of the gun is affected by the action of the waves, so that it's more usable in anything other then a glassy calm sea. Where should I look for these files, and is it as simple as editing a value or would I be better off the copying and pasting from the stock info?

Thanks in advance for any help.
chaparral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 04:53 AM   #2
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Welcome Cpt Chaparral!

Well, you're not the only one with this problem.
I, too, do not use magnification and it troubles me.

I'm sure someone will help us solve this drawback.
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 09:07 AM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

No half measures! Death to all who encounter the mighty deck gun. Load up my Slightly Subnuclear Deck Gun. It won't change the graphics, just the ammunition, but when you get a hit, it will mean something. Arrrrr!

Bonus: But we're not finished yet! Download in the next thirty minutes and receive, free of charge (!), Slightly Subnuclear AA Ammunition, included as part of Slightly Subnuclear Deck gun. Use your imagination! This stuff isn't REALLY for airplanes...

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 06-20-09 at 09:33 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 11:18 AM   #4
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157

Slightly Subnuclear Ammunition!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
No half measures! Death to all who encounter the mighty deck gun. Load up my Slightly Subnuclear Deck Gun. It won't change the graphics, just the ammunition, but when you get a hit, it will mean something. Arrrrr!

Bonus: But we're not finished yet! Download in the next thirty minutes and receive, free of charge (!), Slightly Subnuclear AA Ammunition, included as part of Slightly Subnuclear Deck gun. Use your imagination! This stuff isn't REALLY for airplanes...
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
But you must still be able to aim it in order to hit something!!

As for the infamous (and free of charge) Slightly Subnuclear AA Ammunition... Not for airplanes!!!

Be well mate!!
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 01:11 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

RFB deck gun a against surface fleet I sank 100,000 tons in 10 minutes with RFB, including unaltered RFB target and sub damage models. So I kinda think you can hit a few targets with the RFB gun.

This was to make fun of all the players who brag about tonnage scores. Not many hang out here, but Ubi forums has lots. One guy bragged about coming back with a 100,000 ton cruise and I said "no big deal, I did it in 10 minutes of real playing time." He accused me of bragging so I released the tools so EVERYBODY can do it. I'm far from the greatest captain. Maybe most would do better than I did.
Old 06-20-09, 01:31 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

@ chaparral: I can't help much, since I go the opposite way on the gun, but WELCOME ABOARD!

@ Rockin Robbins: I used to have a friend who like to say "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" I disagreed with him, but in your case I'd say he has a point.
Old 06-20-09, 02:59 PM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

In my case, "It ain't bragging because YOU can do it." You can brag all you want and that charges my battery much better than bragging for myself.
Old 06-20-09, 06:24 PM   #8
chaparral
Nub

Thanks for the welcomes.

lol Rockin Robbins, nice mods if the game ever gets boring and needs some more excitement. Just the thing to teach some of those cocky destroyers a lesson or two.

Appreciate all your tutorials also, I was about to go practice the O'kane method.
Old 06-20-09, 07:55 PM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Oh, I forgot:

Welcome to SUBSIM!
Old 06-22-09, 01:33 PM   #10
chaparral
Nub

Heh thanks again for the warm welcome.

Actually the problem with the accuracy of the gun is that the sight is stabilized and dosnt pitch/roll with the boat while the barrel does, so that when waves are present you have no way of knowing what the gun is actually pointing at.

I don’t know if it's hard coded that way or not, but if there was a way to make the gunsight respond to the waves just like the barrel and the TBT, that would probably be a good balance between realism and playability. You'd still have to deal with the waves, but at least you could tell what the gun was pointed at.