SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-08, 10:49 AM   #1
Schnee
Engineer

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default How Are You Guys Setting the Torps?

Are you guys setting them from contact or magnetic setting the depth a bit below the draft of the ship? Seems magnetic worked ok in SH III but I dunno about SH4
Schnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 01:50 PM   #2
Zantham
中国水兵

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 1

I've been using mostly magnetic torpedoes in the UBoat 1943 campaign in SH4, and haven't had too many duds really. I've had both contact duds, magnetic duds, and premature detonations, but not a large amount. By 1943 Germany had straightened out many of the problems found in their torpedos.
Zantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 01:53 PM   #3
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

Really annoying when Falke torpedoes goes boom halfway to the target, at 400 reknown a pop.
Old 03-01-08, 02:13 PM   #4
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

I usually set my torps on Magnetic and set them about a meter below the targets keel, managed to take out a Fleet Carrier on my second-last patrol with 2 G7e/T2s (I actually launched 4, and hit with 3 on the CVs stern (the CV sunk before the third hit)), while 3 hits to the stern with Zaunkonig IIs at a higher depth did not sink another CV on my last patrol (It actually went nose-up with about 1/5 of the Flight deck in the water and the entire bow-section in the air before sinking a while later)
Raptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 09:20 PM   #5
Schnee
Engineer

Downloads: 2
Default Yeah

A meter below the targets keel - sounds about right. I'll do that more regularly
Schnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 01:09 PM   #6
Saintaw
Medic

Downloads: 47

Erm.. I have a question too:

Where is the TDC pannel when looking through the UZO or Scopes when on an Uboot? To the right, I can see the TDC data & fire torpedoes, but I have to go to the TDC map screen to setup the torps.

[soapbox]
Why isn't there a manual or even a note about this on the DVD? Surely a .txt isn't too expensive. Clicking on the "Manual" link on the autorun menu brings me back to the original SHIV pdf file
[\soapbox]

blub blubb...

Saintaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 07:42 AM   #7
GeoffBelding
Seaman

Downloads: 5
Default Erm Erm... I have some questions too

I have finished one U Boat mission, and am in the middle of my second.

I have never played SH3

Q1 How do I fire a salvo of torpedoes?

Q2 How do I operate the Alberich?

Q3 How Do I activate the search plane or other captain's abilities?

Q4 The green line that appears on the Navigation map appears to come from an aircraft with surface searh radar - is both a friendly and enemy aircraft shown in the same manner?

Many thanks for the excellent answers from the excellent people!

Cheers

Geoff
GeoffBelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 08:23 AM   #8
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintaw
Erm.. I have a question too:

Where is the TDC pannel when looking through the UZO or Scopes when on an Uboot? To the right, I can see the TDC data & fire torpedoes, but I have to go to the TDC map screen to setup the torps.

[soapbox]
Why isn't there a manual or even a note about this on the DVD? Surely a .txt isn't too expensive. Clicking on the "Manual" link on the autorun menu brings me back to the original SHIV pdf file
[\soapbox]
try pressing f1 while playing the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffBelding

I have never played SH3

Q4 The green line that appears on the Navigation map appears to come from an aircraft with surface searh radar - is both a friendly and enemy aircraft shown in the same manner?

Cheers

Geoff
go to the attack map (how to go there, look the ingame help, see info above), there you can set your torps nad salvo options. for activating the search plane, click on a allied airbase on the map and then click on the area the plane should look for ships (area must be in range of the aircraft, of course). alberich is a new technologie against sonar detection. xou cant control it. if your boat is powered by alberich, they cant find you as easy as without alberich, thats all.

greetz, Jaeger
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 08:24 AM   #9
ksmeier
Nub

Downloads: 0

I can only help you with the search plane question! I found out that your bases have an aircraft symbol on them, Well just click on the aircraft base and pull a line to the area you want to have searched, but be aware they usually fly to the maximum of their range and start to zig zag back, well if the enemy has a base anywhere near the end of the search pattern: minus one search plane, but after six hours you can send up another one!! About the other stuff?????? Good question!
ksmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 08:35 AM   #10
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffBelding

I have never played SH3

Go to the 'Attack Map' - Blueish color which is just below the Navigation Tab . Then your see a small button with Tube/Salvo

Hmm can't answer that, i would like to know this too.

The main tab that has a picture of a sailor - 'Special Abilities' you get to choose there. When in port under the crew option where you can choose more crew members your see some with certain abilities like ''Stalker mode" add him and your boat will move faster when on the surface & he will give more info on your enemies. Has a limited ability lasts 6 hours at a time. Other one i grabbed was Master Engineer.

Could be wrong here but i presume the enemy line will show up in red.:hmm:

Cheers

Geoff

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 10:15 AM   #11
GeoffBelding
Seaman

Downloads: 5
Default Questions...

Thanks Jaeger, ksmeier and Kiwi_2005 - I now understand the salvo and the search plane.

Presumably the salvo will consist of the number of tubes that I have previously opened?

Many Thanks

Geoff

PS The green lines (other than your own set course are accompanied by the text "RA Detecting Radar Signals" so they can equally be friend or foe!

Thanks to Zantham for the salvo clarification

Last edited by GeoffBelding; 03-04-08 at 12:09 PM.
GeoffBelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 11:46 AM   #12
Zantham
中国水兵

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Presumably the salvo will consist of the number of tubes that I have previously opened?
Doing a salvo is a two-step process. In your Attack Map, you first select S or T on the small dial. When you click this dial you will notice the torpedo tube selector dial will change.

On T it shows I II III IV VI at each position, and on the top only one of the green torpedo buttons will be hilighted. When you set the small dial to S then you will notice a minimum of two of those green buttons hilighted, and your torpedo selector dial you will see combinations of tubes, such as I III, II IV, I III IV, i think there is eight selections total, and on top you will see different multiple tube lights light depending on the switch.

In other words when firing a salvo you cannot just click on the green tube lights, you must select the tubes through that larger dial.

You can select up to 4 torps on the IX-D2 and up to 6 on the XVIII for a salvo. Then when you click Fire to shoot the torpedo, the salvo computer will fire the torps from those hilighted tubes.

One caveat here: if you have not opened the torpedo doors, or opened the wrong ones, your solution will be off and likely result in a miss. I specify this because of what you said above, the salvo does NOT depend on what tubes you have opened, it depends on what tubes you selected on the dial on the Attack Map screen.

Also in my experience it seems like you can only have one tube open at a time, even if firing a salvo, which makes the salvo selection useless since your other torps after the 1st are likely to miss since it takes like 10 secs for the door to open...??? I've since switched to a different keyfile and this seems to have solved this problem, the tubes fire in rapid succession like they should.
Zantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 12:14 PM   #13
Saintaw
Medic

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger
try pressing f1 while playing the game
I did, none of what i asked above is covered.

blub blubb...

Saintaw is offline   Reply With Quote