Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-12-17, 03:19 PM   #1
A-Ganger
Sparky

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default New at DW

Bought a copy this morning, all installed and working fine it seems.

This game is very much like 688i just much better.

I've only played the 1 sub mission which I believe is the 3rd mission in order.
One thing I noticed, I was about 4 miles from 3-4 ships and had the Sonar/TMA on crew, and not once did they ever get more than a "moderate" accuracy?

On 688I they would have already been finished lol..

Maybe it's just that in this game it has much more detail/realism etc., which is going to make it a little tougher on us.

Anyway, LOVE this game so far.. Soo much better graphics and displays etc..
Nice job!
A-Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 03:58 PM   #2
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Would recommend the downloads section and have a read of the Blue book and Red book.

If you are using no show truth auto TMA and are tracking a target on towed array dont forget once acquired track for a few minuets and turn 90 degrees the track that moves is the false contact.

I used to do the 6 minuet rule one acquired i would track the target for 6 mins noting the distance i traveled turn 90 degrees continue the track for a further 6 mins and note the distance turn again 90 degrees back and track further 6 mins and thus giving me a full picture.

Then i switched over to the Frigate which is a completely new kettle of fish

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 06:02 PM   #3
A-Ganger
Sparky

Not certain, but as you complete say single missions, do your abilities get better?
Like in 688I you earned points to upgrade, but I can't find anything that says your stuff gets better lol

Found one HUGE annoyance.. When you have say Sonar and TMA on crew, you can't select a contact in TMA so you can see if the solution is good. And as soon as you do it switches to another contact!?!?!?! OMG that drives me knutz..

You don't even have time to click the "Enter Solution" button before it changes lol I guess it does this since both stations are on Crew so they constantly move to different contacts.

One question I do have tho. I see screenshots and videos of the Sonar screeens and they are different? The colors are like orange with green buttons that have the names of the different screens in the sonar screen.

Is that from a Mod?
Old 07-12-17, 10:50 PM   #4
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Most likely from a mod. For those instances where you want to do stuff with the auto-crew off, you can turn them on and off on the fly, you don't have to restart the mission or anything.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-17, 11:30 AM   #5
A-Ganger
Sparky

I think the screen capture pics I've been seeing are actually from SC? The have the orange outline and green letters..

Just finished reading thru the Red book. Very interesting read and lots of info.

When I was on activie duty I did quite a bit of TMA, of course that was <2002 so until I started playing these Subsim games again I had to retrain lol

I used to be pretty dam good at, of course that wasn't my primary job on the Sub either..But I did enjoy doing the TMA stuff.

Especially when you were training and get your solutions down and then find out they were dead on lol Or sometimes dead off..opps
Old 07-14-17, 10:51 AM   #6
A-Ganger
Sparky

Well sometimes I just feel dumb lol

Those orange/green colored screens etc., are when using the other class of sub in this game...duh

Have found a few real annoyances (to me at least) in the game.
1. When changing to ordered depth the crew says zero six seven feet etc..OMG it's just 67 feet! You never speak leading zero's unless your changing course lol
2. The periscope controls L/R are backwards.
3. Whenever you get detected in a campaign, there is a woman's voice that says it but the volume is so low I can barely even hear it. I hear all the crew voices fine but hers I can't figure out how to make louder.
4. ON the 688 Sonar screens, contact marking is somewhat broken randomly. Like I had contact on ex. 050, could see the lines on both daemon and other screen yet could not give it a contact number.
Also, cycling thru the review contacts button, sometimes it doesn't even cycle thru them all

Ok then, off to kill stuff lol
Old 07-14-17, 01:04 PM   #7
Shawshank237
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ganger View Post
2. The periscope controls L/R are backwards.
l
I noticed this one too. Weird
Shawshank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-17, 01:07 PM   #8
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawshank237 View Post
I noticed this one too. Weird
its as if your walking it around so if you pur more pressure on the left handle the scope will turn right and vice versa

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-17, 03:17 PM   #9
Shawshank237
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
its as if your walking it around so if you pur more pressure on the left handle the scope will turn right and vice versa
I can see that - makes sense after you say that. I guess if the UI were a bit different than the left/right arrows it would better imply that.

But then again I'm not trying to nit-pick on an eleven year old game's interface, especially when my first game was Pong back in '77 and the graphics blew me away.
Shawshank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-17, 12:02 PM   #10
A-Ganger
Sparky

I still think it's backwards.. Trying to rack my brain to remember from personal experience.
I think I'm about 95% certain it's backwards..lol

It just throws me off every time I use it.

Guess I should just let it be..that and the shortcut to PD is 67'..where did they come up with that one
Old 07-15-17, 01:02 PM   #11
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

Pressing left hand mouse button within periscope viewing field makes the peri to rotate left and right in more intuitive way. Left half to the left and right half to the right. Little hand icon appears when in field of view.Sure, again, maybe not too realistic, but after all DW is just a computer game.

In DW there are some annoying quirks here and there. For me my biggest beef is with the double 3D targets appearing on the surface even after you acquire them visually. IMHO at that time once you see something there should be no ambiguity. Or, maybe, I am doing something wrong here....
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote