Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-13, 09:15 PM   #646
Glock30Eric
Ru$

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Hello all,

I went on patrol longer than the missions. I completed the missions and ignored to return submarine base and stayed on patrol for a while. I decided it was time to go back to home-port but I couldn't end patrol or refit. How can I end the patrol? I went to small naval base and I still get same result: no end patrol option or refit.

Did I made a mistake by disobeying the order to return the base? LOL.
Old 03-01-13, 10:05 PM   #647
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Your base has been moved , look for the submarine icon . This is your new base .
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=179959
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-13, 05:13 PM   #648
Glock30Eric
Ru$

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Your base has been moved , look for the submarine icon . This is your new base .
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=179959
Been there with the same result.
Old 04-23-13, 12:04 PM   #649
Gunsilnger
Torpedoman

Location: The Mediterranean, somewhere between Gibraltar and Malta
Downloads: 51

Default Some tips from a newb!

Hey guys, so I've read all 44 pages here and I've learned quite a bit.
I saw a couple questions that didn't have answers so I thought I'd take a crack at 'em. I noticed someone asked about being charged by destroyers, and what to do. Well, there are some variables that will effect your course of action. Depending on your heading, the range and speed of the charging destroyer and whether they know your exact location or not, there are a couple options: I usually will check to see if I have time to swing the boat around to line up for a bow shot. If there's time I'll aim whichever tubes are closest (bow or stern) and try and get on a 0/0 course, meaning they're either a perfect 180 degrees behind me, heading at me at 0 degrees, or directly in front of me, also heading 0 degrees. Once I get lined up and I'm sure they're hell-bent on maintaining course, I'll fire one or two, at high speed. I've had great success with this method, most times they drive right into my Eels. As soon as my shots leave the tubes, I change direction and crash dive, relocate and come back to scope depth to reevaluate the situation.

If the destroyer is too close to line up for a shot, then the only option is to crash dive, at max speed, all while varying course. Sometimes you can shake em enough to get away and line up for a shot.

Good Luck!
Gunsilnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 10:54 PM   #650
rob zombie
Seaman

Downloads: 154

thx for the tips
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D NForce 750i SLI
rob zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 02:02 AM   #651
JacobiMian
Swabbie

Downloads: 66

Hey everyone,

I've just started the first mission of the first campaign running 100% realism (along with the Real Navigation mod). Near the coast of Poland I've run into two British B-class destroyers, seeming to head towards one of the docks there, with one about 500m ahead of the first. I have the game saved before I am spotted by them. But I've received a radio message from high command saying to "investigate" the warships in my area (referring to the two destroyers). I would ask what the best way to approach this situation is. Submerged, I am not fast enough to chase them unless they detect me and start heading towards me. Even my maximum surface speed is probably too slow. I could maintain a safe distance but I wonder if that counts as "investigating" them. Perhaps I could try my best to predict their probable course and meet them at where they end up without being detected?

I hope this counts as a "tactics" question.
JacobiMian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 12:03 AM   #652
JacobiMian
Swabbie

Downloads: 66

Nevermind, the problem fixed itself:

The destroyers decided to go near a port and just park there. All I had to do was sneak up on them from the side. Even when the first one was hit the second didn't even move away or even seem to notice. I hope that wasn't a glitch or problem with AI.
JacobiMian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-13, 09:16 PM   #653
Gunsilnger
Torpedoman

Location: The Mediterranean, somewhere between Gibraltar and Malta
Downloads: 51

Default Estimating fuel usage.

Hey guys I wanted to add my method for estimating fuel usage. Keep in mind I'm still pretty new so some of my tricks could be common knowledge for some of you.

I recently turned my realism up with fuel being one of the aspects. I spent the whole game so far planning to up the realism so I'm already in the habit of using the "half speed" setting to save fuel. Anyway I set course and left port and soon realized, I have no idea how far I can go regardless of speed setting.

Then I did what any good Captain would do: Keep calm and use math!

So I looked at my fuel gauge and was at 98%.
I then used the ruler to measure how far I'd traveled from port, 321 Km at half speed. Then using the formula of "321km=2% fuel", I broke down my plotted path into 321 Km sections all the way to my destination.
I came up with an estimate of 89% fuel remaining upon reaching my destination over a course of 1950 Km.

When I reached my assigned destination, I had 89% fuel remaining right on the money.
Fuel usage will of course change and be harder to estimate if you need to put the boat through maneuvers, or have to change speeds.

Hope this is helpful! Happy hunting!

Current Realism settings: 84%

My Vessel:
Asus M-pro Z-77
Intel I5 3.4Ghz
Nvidia Gforce 610 1 Gig ram/Overclocked
8 Gig ram.

Last edited by Gunsilnger; 05-02-13 at 09:26 PM.
Gunsilnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 03:17 PM   #654
VacantName
Seaman

Downloads: 60

How do I find my boat's name?

I was U-35, according to messages from Bdu. I haven't changed boats, but I have installed a couple of new mods while I was last in the bunker (notably TDW's UI and a few of the optional add-ons for it) and now I don't seem to be getting any radio messages that pop up on my screen before, but in the list I get from the 'radio messages' button I seem to have a couple addressed to U021, and so I'm not sure if my boat's name has changed for some reason or if I'm just intercepting messages meant for another boat.

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out I am getting messages but they're only in my Captain's Log, and I am still U-35. Still would like to know if my boat's name can be found anywhere other than messages, though...
VacantName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 04:01 PM   #655
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantName View Post
How do I find my boat's name?
EDIT: Nevermind, turns out I am getting messages but they're only in my Captain's Log, and I am still U-35. Still would like to know if my boat's name can be found anywhere other than messages, though...
If you are using NewUIs you can use OptionsEditorFileViewer (NewUIs/data/Applications) to change captain's and sub's names

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 04:03 PM   #656
Akula4745
Convicted Ship Killer

Location: Just out of sight... plotting your course and speed
Downloads: 371
Uploads: 1

Some good refresher tips in this thread! My thanks to all!

"If you sit by the river long enough... the body of your enemy will float by -- SunTzu"
Akula4745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 07:49 PM   #657
VacantName
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
If you are using NewUIs you can use OptionsEditorFileViewer (NewUIs/data/Applications) to change captain's and sub's names
How is this done? When I open that up there's not very much there at all, nothing with any u-boat names in or that looks like it might affect a u-boat name, and the option to load anything is greyed out
Old 05-12-13, 09:13 PM   #658
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

^^^^with the fileviewer, open data/script/menu/TheDarkWraithUserOptions.py, and the application will build up all the different tabs where you will find the right tab to change hull number and capt name
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-13, 01:50 PM   #659
VacantName
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
^^^^with the fileviewer, open data/script/menu/TheDarkWraithUserOptions.py, and the application will build up all the different tabs where you will find the right tab to change hull number and capt name
Nope. Still nothing. I did find another app though, called Ships Journal Editor (in NewUIs_TDC_7_3_0_ByTheDarkWraith\data\Applications \Ships Journal Viewer-Editor). Is that what you guys were talking about? I can actually change stuff in that, though I haven't loaded the game up to see if it actually has any effect yet...

Also, how can I change my key bindings, as I don't think my capture screen button is working? And once that's done, where are screenshots stored?
Old 05-13-13, 03:02 PM   #660
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Nope. Still nothing. I did find another app though, called Ships Journal Editor (in NewUIs_TDC_7_3_0_ByTheDarkWraith\data\Applications \Ships Journal Viewer-Editor). Is that what you guys were talking about?
No.. You need OptionsFileEditorViewer..
How to - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=202346

Quote:
Also, how can I change my key bindings, as I don't think my capture screen button is working?
SH Keymapper - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=168297

Quote:
And once that's done, where are screenshots stored?
Screenshot in game - Ctrl+F11, screens in the game root folder..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote