SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-08, 09:54 PM   #631
baxter
中国水兵

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I really like the level of traffic. For the first time I'm getting patrol and career tonnage totals which are within the ranges of how actual captains did during the war. Previously I was always ending up with the highest tonnage on the list...it was too easy, not enough of a challenge. This seems much more realistic (and satisfying) to me.
baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 01:34 AM   #632
Captain Vlad
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 6

Having some trouble running this. DLed the mod (the stock 1.4 version), installed with JGSME. Only other mods I'm running are Dragon's Vargas Girls and a couple of radio mods. However, every time I start a patrol, it's only a limited amount of time before I get a lock up/crash.

Any advice?
Old 01-31-08, 02:45 AM   #633
WernerSobe
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter
I really like the level of traffic. For the first time I'm getting patrol and career tonnage totals which are within the ranges of how actual captains did during the war. Previously I was always ending up with the highest tonnage on the list...it was too easy, not enough of a challenge. This seems much more realistic (and satisfying) to me.
well dont forget that we are the submariners elite already compared to real captains. How many patrols and carriers do you have on your list? Real captains faced the enemy for the first time, they have never been comanding a submarine at war before. Remember yourself when you first time got your hands on silent hunter and then imagine you did it at 100% realism and with all realism mods activated. This would propably be the feeling of a reel captain who goes out for his first patrol...

And then dont forget that real captains had something to lose if they did something wrong, their lifes.
WernerSobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 02:49 AM   #634
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerSobe
i agree that stock campaign is unrealistic. But RSRD still "feels" like too little trafic.

I mean i get booted out from my carrier because i get not enough tonnage. That being not my fault - i patrol the area that i was assigned to but there is just nothing passing by. Meanwhile the japs are taking the entire landmass around. I wonder how they do that without ships...
What Flotilla and time period ?
i have most trouble with s18 campaign from the beginning of the war in manilla. After two patrolls japanese take entire south east asia and somehow they can always get their invasion force around my patrol area because i never see anything worth shooting at. When i arrive in freementale they say that my boat is beeing taken out of service together with me because i was not agressive enough. So what i am supposed to do?
Old 01-31-08, 03:38 AM   #635
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Vlad
Having some trouble running this. DLed the mod (the stock 1.4 version), installed with JGSME. Only other mods I'm running are Dragon's Vargas Girls and a couple of radio mods. However, every time I start a patrol, it's only a limited amount of time before I get a lock up/crash.

Any advice?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...5&postcount=68
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 06:04 AM   #636
WernerSobe
Commodore

realy i dont want to run your work down, i know stock capmaign is over populated.

But look at his: Ive been doing that for the last 4 weeks, ive seen a lot of planes every few hours even at night but no ships. Not even sampans left tokio during that time. If i was a battleship i could end this war in an hour. Thats just not right.

ps this is april 43 i have radar equiped.

Old 01-31-08, 07:51 AM   #637
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
realy i dont want to run your work down, i know stock capmaign is over populated.

But look at his: Ive been doing that for the last 4 weeks, ive seen a lot of planes every few hours even at night but no ships. Not even sampans left tokio during that time. If i was a battleship i could end this war in an hour. Thats just not right.

From the readme of Phase I

Because of a design feature that prevents ships from spawning within 20km of ownship, you may see cases were historical events do not correctly generate. So therefore, as an example, if you are 15 to 17nm from the Shortland Islands during the Battle of Guadalcanal, some of the Tokyo Express missions may not generate.

Old 01-31-08, 07:58 AM   #638
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Quote:

Because of a design feature that prevents ships from spawning within 20km of ownship, you may see cases were historical events do not correctly generate. So therefore, as an example, if you are 15 to 17nm from the Shortland Islands during the Battle of Guadalcanal, some of the Tokyo Express missions may not generate.

hm well then you should try to find a way around it. Because the stock campaign seems not to have that problem. Being so close to japan shore in stock campaign is much more dangerous. I mean its just not right you shouldnt be able to sail so close to tokio and noone cares.
Old 01-31-08, 08:04 AM   #639
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hm well then you should try to find a way around it. Because the stock campaign seems not to have that problem. Being so close to japan shore in stock campaign is much more dangerous. I mean its just not right you shouldnt be able to sail so close to tokio and noone cares.

This a "STOCK" issue, if your displease with my work, don't use it
Old 01-31-08, 08:05 AM   #640
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anxious to try out your brand new NSM, eh Werner? You do have a point about the spawning point limitation, but give this mod a second chance. In my eyes, it's as indispensable as...well, your NSM, and that ain't flattery (or any other word that you can think of that involves hind-parts and kisses)! On RSRDC phase I (and I doubt it has changed with phase II), I ALWAYS found a truckload of traffic in that area you depicted, though I didn't sail that close to shore. Try expanding your waypoints a bit to the south so the ships can regenerate.

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 08:42 AM   #641
Donner
Officer

Downloads: 113

Quote:

Quote:
This a "STOCK" issue...
From these quotes, it is clear that the issue in question lies within the game engine itself and not with this mod.

I would suggest taking the good Doctor's advice and place your waypoints farther south.
Old 01-31-08, 08:58 AM   #642
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donner
Quote:

Quote:
This a "STOCK" issue...
From these quotes, it is clear that the issue in question lies within the game engine itself and not with this mod.

I would suggest taking the good Doctor's advice and place your waypoints farther south.
as i said it doest accur in stock game so it cant be stock related. Try to go to tokio in stock campaign.

besides that there is also no traffic elsewhere. There is some traffic but is extremely rare. I just dont believe that japanese almost took control over entire pacific area with almost no ships.
Old 01-31-08, 09:18 AM   #643
Donner
Officer

Downloads: 113

I haven't had any problems finding targets with RSRD. I ran into a HUGE invasion force heading toward Lingayan Gulf in Dec 1941 when I ran an S-boat career. I felt like I was trying to kill an elephant with a pop gun.

I find this mod a nice fit for me since it is based on historical convoy traffic derived from Komamiya's Wartime Transportation Convoy History.

I am sorry that RSRD doesn't please you. Perhaps you should try tater's Improved Campaign Layers, return to stock, or break open the mission editor to edit the layers to your taste.

Cheers!
Old 01-31-08, 09:41 AM   #644
Hypospray
Swabbie

Downloads: 4

Quote:
as i said it doest accur in stock game so it cant be stock related. Try to go to tokio in stock campaign.

besides that there is also no traffic elsewhere. There is some traffic but is extremely rare. I just dont believe that japanese almost took control over entire pacific area with almost no ships.
I second that observion.
I did 2 complete patrols now from December 41 till April 42. Beside 1 large laskforce near Manila and fishing boat just outside singepore, there was not a single target to find. It feelt like skipping over an empty ocean.

My setup is: TM 176 + RoW + RSRD latest version + NSM 4.0
Hypospray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 10:54 AM   #645
tedhealy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 13

I've found plenty of targets with RSRD even without radar. I hang out in choke points, cruise along the coast near 200 feet deep water, and generally try to stay in a small area for at least 24 to 36 hours doing an expanding spiral. Let the ships come to me.

I forgot how many total I've got, but I lead the tonnage board after 3 patrols in June of '42 so the ships are out there.
tedhealy is offline   Reply With Quote