SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-03-16, 08:47 PM   #1
bradwp
Nub

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default Need Unmodified NSS_Balao.dat

I'm currently overseas and don't have access to my original game discs. I also can't seem to find my backup of the NSS_Balao.dat file (I'm fairly certain something I've done has corrupted it). Could someone send me their unmodified .dat file? Every time I load a patrol or mission using the Balao my game crashes and attempt to open it with S3D.exe I get an "Error while processing file." Full message attached.

Error:
bradwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-16, 01:17 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

bradwp!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-16, 03:47 AM   #3
bradwp
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
bradwp!
Thanks for the welcome! I was a member here a long time ago, but just a lurker really. At some point due to inactivity I'm guessing my account was purged. In my current situation: far away from home with A LOT of spare time on my hands I'm recycling old games... Only to discover I've buggered something up big time... Your signature quote it probably quite accurate in this situation, lol!
Old 12-04-16, 11:37 AM   #4
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Yeah, Welcome back!

From my 'clean install' that I don't play (I use Multi-SH4 and play copies that I mod)

My NSS_Balao.dat is 1.93 MB. That's pretty big to email, at least for my ISP.... plus, I don't know if it's legal??

The original un-modded NSS_Balao.dat is dated: 3/13/2007 12:19 PM and is 1,982 KB in my Submarine folder.

Clicking Properties on the file:
Location: C:\GAME_SUB\Silent Hunter Wolves\Data\Submarine\NSS_Balao
Size: 1.93 MB (2,029,375 bytes)
Size on disk: 1.93 MB (2,031,616 bytes)

Check yours, even if mods have been added to your game and you have mod soup now, that original file should be somewhere.... unless you edited it.

Good luck
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-16, 01:25 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Balao.dat is a configuration file not connected with the executable core of SH4 so it is found in lots of downloadable mods. I'd download GFO and see if balao.dat is in there!

Yes, it's in there so you can download and transplant the file.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-16, 02:05 PM   #6
bradwp
Nub

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Yeah, Welcome back!

The original un-modded NSS_Balao.dat is dated: 3/13/2007 12:19 PM and is 1,982 KB in my Submarine folder.

Clicking Properties on the file:
Location: C:\GAME_SUB\Silent Hunter Wolves\Data\Submarine\NSS_Balao
Size: 1.93 MB (2,029,375 bytes)
Size on disk: 1.93 MB (2,031,616 bytes)

Good luck
aanker,

Those were the exact properties of my corrupted NSS_Balao.dat, so I have no idea what happened. Maybe gremlins or old age?

Break...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Balao.dat is a configuration file not connected with the executable core of SH4 so it is found in lots of downloadable mods. I'd download GFO and see if balao.dat is in there!

Yes, it's in there so you can download and transplant the file.
Rockin Robbins,

That worked perfectly. I had downloaded an official patch executable thinking I could extract the file from it, but when opened with 7zip there were no files I could recognize as game files. I'm on metered internet where I am, so I didn't want to go randomly downloading large files hoping to find the right one and blow my quota up. Your cued download was a life saver.

It allows me to save my bandwidth for the truly important things: Netflix, YouTube, and Skype/Google Voice/Whatsapp calls to COMHOMEPAC (but not in that order in case you run into her ).
Old 12-04-16, 03:16 PM   #7
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Oop's I was describing the Interior dat if you saw this post before I deleted this part - not even an issue for your situation.

I recommend the entire GFO mod because it fixes so many things. I use Multi-SH4 and play the copy's so the original game files don't get corrupted - an idea you might want to think about because FOTRS is almost ready for prime time and definitely worth another 5 GB +/- slot.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote