SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-17, 07:06 PM   #1
DuckHunter26
Swabbie

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0
radar unexpected encounter question

Hello everyone!

First, I would like to say hi to the community. I am new to sub sims, and have been playing Sh3 for the past week, enjoying every second of it!

Also, just a heads up, I am not very familiar with posting on forums, so if this post is in the wrong section it was not my intention to do harm.

Now, I have ran into a little... unexpected problem.

I just got out of Kiel for my 5th patrol ever. Having last night finally caught on to manual targeting/charting and having sunk my first 30000 tons with manual input. So now I start this one, and as I exit the kiel channel for the open sea at full speed, I find myself face to face with an allied submarine, alone, in the middle of nowhere 3 km away.

My question is, how am I supposed to sink it?? Are there subs in the recon manual for targeting purposes?

I fired off a fish that went way wild, and surfaced to engage with deck gun, but man these guys can shoot back, plus I ran out of ammo. Good thing is they did too, and I had to finish it off with the flak gun. Basically I am just asking you ol' skippers and sub vets what is your general course of action when facing this type of situation? Can they shoot torps as well? I admit this had me flabbergasted.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I am using GWX mod.

Last edited by DuckHunter26; 04-16-17 at 08:28 PM.
DuckHunter26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-17, 09:18 PM   #2
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Torpedo, impact, set shallow. No they do not shoot torpedos.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-17, 06:44 AM   #3
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

DuckHunter26 ! Welcome to Subsim !

About ennemy subs : I just go to periscope depth and silent running to avoid being detected. I don't try to sink it (waste of ammo).
Old 04-17-17, 10:00 AM   #4
Shadowblade
Engineer

Downloads: 11
wolf_howl15

Subs are armed, so I am sinking them just with torpedo, impact, 1 m.
I would not risk the shooting duel with them.

Kapitänleutnant Vlad von Carstein - U-Flotilla Saltzwedel - U-123, Type IXB

SH3 GWX 3.0
Shadowblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-17, 08:58 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

DuckHunter26!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-17, 04:28 AM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > DuckHunter26
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Highly Recommended SH3 > LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod > 99.99% Stable > Full Tutorials And Much More In My Signature
SFSF-MODULE - The New Solution for "Steam" & "Starforce"
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-17, 01:19 PM   #7
DuckHunter26
Swabbie

Big thanks to those who replied. I was under the impression at first that those encounters were considered rare, yet after watching a lot of let`s play videos on youtube (Effin controller, hilarious guy!) i can see its somewhat common.
Old 04-18-17, 07:19 PM   #8
Benzin1973
Engineer

Downloads: 151

Welcome aboard Duckhunter!

I too have encountered subs once in a while (using GWX), but only a few times i have attacked them. Like others said, their tonnage is not worth the torpedo, or the risk of it firing back if using the deck gun.
Plus they can be tricky to shoot torpedos at, because they dont show up in the rec manual (cant use stadimeter to range them, or get their speed).

If you decide to go after them, i think the most reliable way to do it is, get all targeting data by plotting. Dont try to use stadimeter or speed calculating thingie.
If you have "map contact updates" on, its easy. Just plot his course (mark his position twice on the map, with 3:15min between the two marks), and you have its course and speed. from thee you have all the data you need to put yourself in a perfect 90° position (AOB solved), you allready know his speed, and the range you can just throw a ruler from your sub to his projected path. If done right this method is 100% accurate (for every target, not just subs).

Now, if youu dont have map updates, it gets trickier. You need to know how to do manual plotting (very realistic & fun btw, i suggest you try it), and then follow the steps above.
Here is a good guide for full manual plotting I learned to do it with it.
http://web.archive.org/web/200710170...man.net/SHIII/

If you are planning on playing without map contact updates, i suggest you try out the MaGUI GUI mod, it has the best set of tools for manual targetting & plotting.

cheers!
Benzin1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-17, 09:19 AM   #9
DuckHunter26
Swabbie

Very complete and well-done guide! Ought to be a better Kaleun at the end of reading this!

Thanks for the tips, and awesome mod too btw!

Cheers
Old 05-13-17, 12:55 PM   #10
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

Don't engage subs. They're not worth it.

The last time I engaged a sub, I was engaging a convoy in the rain. Visibility was about 500 meters and I was set up for a shot but the first ship was too small to be worth it, so I let it go. The second ship was also too small, so I let that one go. The third and final one was a sub, so I figured I had to take the shot. I set the depth for 3m impact and fired at about 400 meters. I sank the sub on the first shot. It was less than 1000 tons and it was a German VIIC in formation in an enemy convoy.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote