SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-20-05, 06:37 PM   #316
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Thanks guys!
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-05, 07:02 PM   #317
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Download Version 2.01 now from my site.
Old 09-20-05, 07:09 PM   #318
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Thanks Bill!

Cheers,
David
Old 09-21-05, 01:12 PM   #319
zma
Seaman

Downloads: 4

About the .bat files in v2.01...

LwAmi_UninstallMod.bat copies the unmodified files from the backup folders. However, since the mod contains more doctrine files than the standard version, the "surplus" files (especially MissileSkim54E_stg1- and -2.txt) are not overwritten and remain in the Doctrine folder after the uninstall .bat file has been run. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this mess up the standard doctrines a little?

Perhaps the Doctrine folder should be emptied before new files are copied there?

Awesome work with the mod, by the way!
zma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 01:20 PM   #320
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0

As far as I understand you have to re-install DW.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 01:28 PM   #321
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

No, if you have saved your stock and database folders from the previous version, you can copy them back over in your DW folder.

This will return DW to a neutral, stock state.

Then you run FIRST the backup .bat. This will create new folders for your stock files in addition to the normal ones used by the game.

At this point, you use the "install" .bat to instate the mod, and "uninstall" .bat to return to stock.

Extra doctrine files in the doctrine folder do not, in any way, effect game function. If you would like to use an alternate torpedo doctrine full-time, then change the name of that doctrine to "Torpedo" in the database.LwAmi folder and discard the other torpedo doctrine. Then, when you use the .bat file, that new doctrine will be instated in the doctrine folder in place of the original.

For most users, you will only need to: unzip package into DW directory; make sure you have 1.01 restored first; run the backup .bat; run the "install" .bat to switch to the mod; when you wish to play stock DW, then use the "uninstall" .bat to restore your original version.

I hope this clears things up.

If you did not save your doctrine and database folders from a previous install of the mod, then you will have to reinstall DW (or get a friend to email the Doctrine and Database folders to you).
Old 09-21-05, 10:19 PM   #322
compressioncut
Loader

Downloads: 5

Hey, uh, I'm sure this is the first tiome this has been mentioned but it's something that's really come to light with the mod.

Now that the SQR-19 has a correct 5,000 feet of tow cable, the [over]buoyancy of the array is really starting to show up. It takes a very long time to react to changes in cable length and tow speed, with respect to its depth. That can be a fairly critical problem, as placing the array where you want it is priority, and capability, #1 with the critical angle TACTAS.

I don't know if it's a hardcoded problem or what. But something to be aware of, as array depth is very important to a skimmer puke.

If the tow speed vs. cable length vs. depth curves aren't classified, I'll see what I can come up with.

Something weird, however - I've only seen it once, but I noticed that when I began paying out the cable, and accelerated time, that once I went back to 1:1 time after the cable fully payed out, that the array was still sinking at the accelerated rate. Not a mulitplayer concern but strange nonetheless.
Old 09-21-05, 10:22 PM   #323
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

It says in the DW manual that depth is NOT modelled for the TAs!

So the 3-d view may show you one thing, but it doesn't at all effect the performance of the array, as far as we know. This is hardcoded (not enabled in the acoustic engine) and I don't think we can change this unless SCS does a major reworking of the TA acoustic modelling.
Old 09-23-05, 08:40 PM   #324
compressioncut
Loader

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
It says in the DW manual that depth is NOT modelled for the TAs!

So the 3-d view may show you one thing, but it doesn't at all effect the performance of the array, as far as we know. This is hardcoded (not enabled in the acoustic engine) and I don't think we can change this unless SCS does a major reworking of the TA acoustic modelling.
I think you may be interpretting the manual entry incorrectly - it reads thus:

"Note: Be aware that ownship always appears as a contact on the FFG's towed array. In SCS - Dangerous Waters TACTASS provides 360* detection even if the array is not fully deployed. The array is always modelled as level even when it appears to droop in the 3d view" [p. 7-36]

I added the bold. What I interpret that to mean is that the array is modelled at the same depth all along its length, no matter what it appears to be in the 3d view. The depth of the array definitely appears to be taken into account in the acoustic model, and that is borne out in the fact that ownship signature can move down the array the deeper you place it. Also, I have a couple of simple CZ detection missions where array depth will affect POD.
Old 09-23-05, 08:51 PM   #325
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Oh, thanks a lot for that clarification!

That makes a world of difference!

Thank you again, I'll be much better skimmer captain now!
Old 09-24-05, 09:28 AM   #326
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220

Well we were asked to give some feedback on the mod and I have been looking at the interaction between torps v CMs.

Time has only permitted SP testing of SW Mk 48 launches against AI subs and self targetting.

I have noted elsewhere the pathetic AI subs in 'Quick Missions' and their inadequate performance cannot be laid at LWAMIs door.

With a SP of 1200 ft I attacked 3 Akulas (8, 10 & 12 nm)each with an active and a passive launched on snapshot bearings,
and allowed to run guidance free but enabled at about 4-5 nm from targets.

This scenario was run 3 times. Each time 2 Aks were despatched and not one single counterfire occured.
The effect of the CMs was a very limited. Twice only passive torps locked on to a passive cm burnt
through maintaining course free of lock for about 500 yds before re-starting a search.
Active torps acquired an active cm on one occasion and on another seemd to lock earlier on a duo of active and passives cms.

On no occasion did I witness torp confusion/dazing/blindness - it was always a lock or nothing.

AI sub manouvering, or I should say lack of it, was very poor but in the test this threw protection
on the cms and they failed nearly 70% of the time.

Self targetting proved in general that it is still own manouveres which save the bacon until the torp is
under 5 nm which is a completely different ball game now. CMs dropped outside that range (Appx) were
marginaly effective in creating a diversionary lock occasionaly. Not necessary to survival at all.

Under 5 nm IMO the CMs are useless and the targetted sub is going shrimping in the majority of cases
given the poor (realistic) sub rates of turn.

So I regret that I'm puzzled - what usefull function do cms perform in sub v sub in the mod ?

My impression is that the cm doctrine setting of 40% efficiency does not appear to be confirmed in-game
If I had'nt been told this I would have gauged it at 25-30 % max. (on a good day) :hmm:

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-05, 09:53 AM   #327
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

The CMs in this mod are still effective, but need to be combined with skillful tracking and manuever in order to evade the torpedo. I think last week I was able to get away from a UGST that had locked onto me...it can be done but it's not going to be ridiculously easy like in DW 1.01.

The AI just doesn't have the chops.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-05, 10:43 AM   #328
Bellman
Sea Lord

ML:
Quote:
The CMs in this mod are still effective
Can you be more explicit - what do you mean ''still effective''

In what way ? Did you see anything other than a small % occurence of locking-on - was there any spoofing ?

Skillful tracking and manouvre yes that is, I hope a constant ........particularly in your case.
But what have you observed about the contribution of CMs ?

Old 09-24-05, 10:51 AM   #329
Bellman
Sea Lord

I will look at UGSTs tomorrow - just in case, someone, somewhere has been tipping the playing
field, or should I say ''Balancing -out''

Old 09-24-05, 11:02 AM   #330
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I've seen torps lock onto CMs, and torps lose the lock on the target when passing close by the CM. The interaction betwen torps and CM's is very similar to how it was in Sub Command, except I don't think torps in SC would ever lock onto a decoy first.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote