Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-22-14, 12:09 AM   #1
makiferol
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Co-op game would be excellent

Hi folks, i just was saw Sileny Hunter Online and thought a true co-op for Silent Hunter series would be very fun. What i mean is that one boat being operated by several players; everyone having their specific responsibilities. What do you think ?
Old 08-22-14, 12:35 AM   #2
Lexandro
Navy Dude

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 0

What you mean like;

Silent Hunter 6
Wolfpacks

All new Silent hunter game featuring 4 player co-operative campaign play. Team up with fellow U-boat or Fleetboat captains and prowl the sea's as a wolfpack.

*NOTE* Totally fake just giving an example.

That would be pretty nice, as long as it was also perfectly playable NOT as a co-op. Me I would like other captains in from time to time to help me out, but some players like the solitude of a single boat.

I would pay money for that.......as long as it didn't crash all the time
Lexandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 01:23 AM   #3
makiferol
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexandro View Post
What you mean like;

Silent Hunter 6
Wolfpacks

All new Silent hunter game featuring 4 player co-operative campaign play. Team up with fellow U-boat or Fleetboat captains and prowl the sea's as a wolfpack.

*NOTE* Totally fake just giving an example.

That would be pretty nice, as long as it was also perfectly playable NOT as a co-op. Me I would like other captains in from time to time to help me out, but some players like the solitude of a single boat.

I would pay money for that.......as long as it didn't crash all the time
No, i don't mean wolfpacks with each player commanding different boats. I mean one single boat played by several players. For example;

One player is navigator who is responsible to sail the boat.
One player is gunner who is responsible for deck gun.
One player is XO who will be responsible to create a firing solution.
One player is a captain who will be the one launching torpedoes and giving general orders to other crew.

Of course, any position missing would be played by AI just like Silent Hunter 5.
Old 08-22-14, 09:26 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

This has been suggested several times in the past. While many have said they would like to play that way, the problem I have is that I've been a sailor, and most of the time it's very boring.

Quote:
One player is navigator who is responsible to sail the boat.
If you're playing a full patrol he will take sun and star sightings twice a day. Other than that he will have nothing to do. If you're playing a single scenario, what will he do?

Quote:
One player is gunner who is responsible for deck gun.
Again, if you play a full patrol he will spend hours doing nothing. If it's a single encounter he will still have nothing to do if the scenario is a torpedo attack.

Quote:
One player is XO who will be responsible to create a firing solution.
The XO's main job is to make sure the crew is functioning properly. Since SH5 has no 'crew' other than the officers, what will he do? If the scenario is a gun attack he will have nothing to do.

Quote:
One player is a captain who will be the one launching torpedoes and giving general orders to other crew.
The captain will certainly be the one looking through the periscope and giving the XO the information for the firing solution, but if the XO is creating the solution the only order order the captain will be giving is "Fire one!" He will make the decisions on course and depth changes, but unless you create a helmsman and two planesmen to recieve those orders and the LI to make sure they are carried out properly it's still just giving orders to the AI.

To me this sounds like a very boring game in which the captain is the only one who actually has something to do. I'm guessing this is the reason no one has made a game like this.
Old 08-22-14, 07:03 PM   #5
jacobston
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Actually, this premise may not be as boring as you say. You may have heard of Guns of Icarus online? It that game, each player on a four-man team takes a different role on a combat-airship sot of thing (pilot, gunner, engineer, etc.)
Guns of Icarus - Wikipedia

Now, I know that there is a difference between sci-fi airships and submarines, but the idea is there. It seems though, that it would work best if the captain was abolished, one player was a Chief Engineer and actually pilots the submarine, one player acts as Damage Control, or another gunner should the submarine be on the surface, and one could be a watch officer, scouting for enemies while on deck or helping the CE navigate while under water. Of course this would step away from realism a bit, but it would be necessary to balance the game, and it could be counter-acted by other things like historical details and gameplay mechanics.

Not to mention, that is only the multiplayer portion of the game. Single player could be something like IL-2, where the player could be the captain, and control the whole show, or be stubborn like me and sit there as a tail gunner, letting the AI do all of the work

EDIT: I suppose the Ideas could be combined, and have a bunch of submarines with a lot of people as the crew, but already the game would take up a lot of resources to run.

Thinking more about this, the idea may work better in PT boats or S-boots rather than submarines. There, less people would be doing nothing as there is no "silent running". you basically go in shooting, fire torpedoes and evade anybody who is trying to kill you after.

Last edited by jacobston; 08-22-14 at 07:19 PM.
jacobston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 09:06 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I agree that the idea has appeal, especially as you describe it. Your example is a good one, as I think taking different positions on, say, a bomber over Europe or as pilot and observer in a WWI two-seater. I also like your idea of a PT boat, since fast action is what it's about. The life on a ship involves a lot of boredom. I was a radioman on a destroyer, and it was alright as a job, but not something I'd ever want to game.

Still, my observations are my own, and only what I think about it. I could easily be wrong.
Old 08-23-14, 02:04 AM   #7
Lexandro
Navy Dude

Downloads: 100

The only way that kind of game would work imo, would be if it was along the lines of "mass effect" and you the main character have a team for "offline" play. When you play "online" you chose your role in the match from predefined types with specific skills.

It could work, other titles have taken similar routes with role enforcement in a MP setting, America's Army did so with one player designated the "target", and his backup mercenaries vs the US Army players and local armed forces. You picked a role if it was available, or you got given the one if others were taken. It worked quiet well.

How all that would translate in to a ship based game though is anyone's guess.
Lexandro is offline   Reply With Quote