SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-09, 02:36 PM   #1
Kapitan Soniboy
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Type IX/D2

Hello! I'm THE U-boat freak and I need help.

My favourite submarine is the german type IX/D2. Much because of the U-boat addon to Silent Hunter IV. I can't find much information about it though. Would really like if anyone could post some pictures and stuff about it.

I know it had a schnorkel and it's kinda anoying that Ubisoft didn't give it to the IX/D2 and XXVII in the U-boat missions addon.

One more thing. I saw a film on Youtube and one guy commented; "Imagine if the germans had the state of the art american submarines in WWII". That made me pissed. We all know that german submarines were much more advanced and deep diving than the american "scrap". Agree?
Kapitan Soniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 07:59 PM   #2
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan SoniboyNazi View Post
Hello! I'm THE U-boat freak and I need help.

My favourite submarine is the german type IX/D2. Much because of the U-boat addon to Silent Hunter IV. I can't find much information about it though. Would really like if anyone could post some pictures and stuff about it.

I know it had a schnorkel and it's kinda anoying that Ubisoft didn't give it to the IX/D2 and XXVII in the U-boat missions addon.
I think it's because none of the boats sent to operate in the Far East had snorkels fitted.

Quote:
One more thing. I saw a film on Youtube and one guy commented; "Imagine if the germans had the state of the art american submarines in WWII". That made me pissed. We all know that german submarines were much more advanced and deep diving than the american "scrap". Agree?
German subs were more deep diving, but the advanced subs arrived a bit too late for the party. But I imagine the Germans would have loved the air and sea search radar and ten torpedo tubes that came standard on most US boats. American subs probably wouldn't have fared any better than the U-Boats fighting the British, but then that's not the theater or opponent they were designed to fight against.
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 09:57 PM   #3
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed View Post

German subs were more deep diving,

actually...American subs (depending on the sub) could dive just as deep or deeper....

Ie. the USS Chopper incident.

she got to 1,000+ feet more than 295 meters...
Old 03-19-09, 07:02 AM   #4
Morpheus
Ensign

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy117 View Post
incident
that says it all i guess
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 10:05 AM   #5
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

How'd that deep diving work out for them? Most boats lived out the war, did they?
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 10:18 AM   #6
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

Type IX/D2s were not fitted with a snorkel, only a few type IX and type VII along with the XXI and XXIII were fitted with such as far as operational boats were concerned. Why a snorkel was not fit to the D2 is beyond me, but that was the case. The same went for the Type XIV resupply boats.

The American fleet boat was several times better than the Type IX and VII, and inferior in only a few respects to the XXI. The fleet boats were longer legged, both under and above water. Later boats were quieter. And from early on were much better equipped than the German boats. Something they lacked was the snorkel, which is surprising really. That being said, the type VII for a long time was the ideal boat for fighting in the atlantic, whereas the American boats would not have done so well. The VII could VERY fast, compared to the slow to dive Fleet boat. The Type IX was just an elongated VII with more fuel and torpedo stowage for extra long jaunts into the south Atlantic, or eastern United States. Slower diving, and not as maneuverable as the VII.

Now the Type XXI. Now that was a scary boat for the allies, it would have wreaked some major havoc, and dissapeared without a trace. The Me262 of the sea one could say. Is it any wonder that many Russian and American post war boats had many design features of this type.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 06:15 PM   #7
Morpheus
Ensign

finally, to add some comment to the actual thema.

i think it is senseless to compare german vs. us subarines here, since we will never get a chance to find out. i like both, played sid meyers silent service on the c64 wayback in the 80ies and enjoyed the gato and balao class submarines very much. i like german subs the same, just for what they are. this game doesn't represent "the real" submarines at all, but gives our imagination some great help in having an idea of how it could of been.

so, if you want to have a measure on your dick with eachother you will have to find another kind of measurement than this one. just because it is ridiculous ...
Old 03-24-09, 07:53 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I stand by my statements and leave it to others to judge whether I have made my points well. I am satisfied that aside from misspelling propaganda, I did a pretty good job.

By the way, the book is excellent. It is the movie that is pitiful. And it is pitiful from a dramatic point of view, not photographic. It is the men who are unbelievable, not the machines. Many U-Boat veterans have made my exact point that the movie denigrates the men it is supposed to lionize. They don't consider themselves to be heroes anyway. While I respect them, I agree completely with their self-image. A hero must fight for a just cause. Theirs was evil to an extreme seldom seen in human enterprise.

Why do you find it necessary to make anatomical references (I'm surprised the illustrious auto-censor let that one fly. Two points for sneaking that one through.) or bring up the U-Boat vs. fleet boat angle, which was not even treated in my opinion of Das Boot? Misdirection is a tool of someone who has conceded the discussion and needs to change the subject. I'll let your conduct speak for itself.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 03-24-09 at 08:03 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 08:13 PM   #9
Morpheus
Ensign

Did you have your coffee this morning, Admiral?
Old 03-25-09, 05:38 AM   #10
martes86
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 18

This is fun...

Morpheus, do you realise that your "sort-of-points" are making us serious u-boot fans look like a bunch of stupid blind-faith kriegsmarine worshippers?

Shut up if you're not able to make a valid point. Thanks.

Now, a serious point here.

Yeah, I know what's Das Boot about, and still, I can't help loving it. It's terribly unrealistic speaking from an operations protocol point of view, and there's probably too much of a screaming act when under attack, etc.
Still, it's a movie (made for Hollywood, mind I add), it's about U-Boote, and regardless of poor depiction, it's damn cool. Das Boot was made to try to realisticly reflect some points of U-Boot warfare and its people, but not all of them... and while we might base our statements about U-Boote in this movie for a large part, it's for a great desire of making the environment in which we "play" the "game" a spectacular and fun show, which we can enjoy with a mixture of realism and spectacular fun show. Das Boot is seen like a bible for "U-Booting", but even though we base our acts on it, it's an accesory, and of course, those of us with a responsible and rational approach, try to make it a complement of even more realistic materials.

Now, for realistic protocols, you might want to watch "Morgenrot", a WW1 based german film made in the late 20's.

I'll post more if something comes up to mind.
martes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 07:27 AM   #11
Morpheus
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by martes86 View Post
This is fun...

Morpheus, do you realise that your "sort-of-points" are making us serious u-boot fans look like a bunch of stupid blind-faith kriegsmarine worshippers?

Shut up if you're not able to make a valid point. Thanks.
give me a invalid point i made

sorry when i ruined your roleplay jacko
Old 03-25-09, 07:54 AM   #12
martes86
Grey Wolf

Invalid points? Well, for starters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
so, if you want to have a measure on your dick with eachother you will have to find another kind of measurement than this one. just because it is ridiculous ...

This is not like a very constructive comment, so you can take it back in, we don't want to see it. :rotfl:

Now,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
i marked out the interessting lines in bold. first, this man was not a everyman whimp, he was what we call a "kriegsberichterstatter", in english, a war correspondent. second, this story is no fiction, it really happend. The man's name you called a everyman whimp was Lothar-Günther Buchheim, and he joint U96 in 1941 as a war correspondent. i read his book, which the movie was made after. Propaganda? For what? Hitler? You must be jokin. It points out so much as a antipropagande for Hitler. Poor Melodrama? What do you think the saving of private ryan or any reasonable movie is? everything else i would call a propagande for making war, no?
RR didn't actually say that the man was a everyman whimp, but that he looked like that. He knows that he's supposed to be a correspondent, but, my guess is that he doesn't think he's very well portrayed... he might be right.

Second, the story IS FICTION. Das Boot is a fictional version of one of the patrols of U96, and so, all characters in the book have fictional names. Buchheim published another book, which name I can't remember right now, but that was the one based on real facts, and included real photos made on patrol. Das Boot is a fiction novel. Of course, having been a correspondent a board the U96, he gathered that experience to make the book look convincing, but it was fiction nevertheless, and the U-Boot veterans didn't like that fiction as they thought it didn't represent the reality of U-Boot men, so they wrote the book entitled "We U-Boot men say: no, it was not like that". I guess you didn't know that.

Of course, I wouldn't go as far as calling it poor melodrama, as I love the movie, but still, RR has a point, which you seemingly don't... at least, even if I don't agree with him, I try to make a solid point of my opinions, instead of talking about dicks' sizes.

And don't worry, nothing ruined here... in fact I'm having fun reading some of the ignorant posts being made by some people that call themselves u-boot fans.
Old 03-25-09, 11:32 AM   #13
Morpheus
Ensign

who is the ignorant one here. you interpret the writen of someone else as it fits for you and distract with moving away from the thema ... must bee some weird stuff you're comsuming.

as it seems you both didnt get the line i made with answering within two sepperate posts. one was a direct answer to RR, and the other a answer to this thread. maby you go back and look what it was about on the start anyway. but i can image that lines start to blur when consuming heavy stuff.

my intend is in no way to talk bad about u-boat fans, but it seems to me that you are cought in some kind of fog. talking about invalid points, i think it was a very good point, and i think you enjoyed reading it, which would explain your smiley towards that one.

we can continue with this hairsplitting typing anyways until the moon drops down ... thats why i called this a crappy thread in the beginning.
Old 03-25-09, 11:44 AM   #14
martes86
Grey Wolf

I'll admit, the "lower member" thing was a little drift... anyways, seemed funny to mock the comment, and so I did, thus, the smiley present in my post...

But the rest of the post is perfectly valid and in line with your previous post.
Old 03-25-09, 12:22 PM   #15
Morpheus
Ensign

Quote:
But the rest of the post is perfectly valid and in line with your previous post.
you mean this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
The main character is some everyman whose function is to whimper in the corner, suffering nobly but incapable of any constructive function on the boat.
and

Quote:
RR didn't actually say that the man was a everyman whimp, but that he looked like that. He knows that he's supposed to be a correspondent, but, my guess is that he doesn't think he's very well portrayed... he might be right.

your abilities are amazing, you should go to nasa testlabs ...