SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-09, 12:45 PM   #181
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

There is no music in the AFRS stations. Saigon is seperate, and in fact is not even mine. I'm just mirroring it. You have to put music in the year folders inside the AFRS folder. Note that you should not put the music in the Events or just the AFRS folder itself. It won't play from either.

Also, when in game time were you trying to listen? The AFRS station doesn't start untl January, 1942. This is because historically they didn't produce any programming until that year.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 12:51 PM   #182
groomsie
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615
There is no music in the AFRS stations. Saigon is seperate, and in fact is not even mine. I'm just mirroring it. You have to put music in the year folders inside the AFRS folder. Note that you should not put the music in the Events or just the AFRS folder itself. It won't play from either.
Time is June 3, 1942. Location is just off Brisbane.

Understood that AFRS has no music, but Saigon does. I'm getting nothing from either of them except static, but the "tuner" shows the correct frequency and station name.

I did re-read your AFRS read me just a while ago and saw the broadcasts are "night" ("Whenever possible, AFRS played their entertainment programs in the evening, so that's when I have them.")...my test was in the wee hours of the am (0200) so is it possible the station was done for the day? BTW, if it is broadcasting only in evening (if I read this right) how are you accomplishing this?

I also note my .ini entries for the new stations have MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01
whereas my default Washington station is at 0.4...could it be the volume is so low it doesn't play over the static??? I'm reaching I know... BTW thanks Fred8615.

Last edited by groomsie; 02-12-09 at 01:10 PM.
groomsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 11:08 PM   #183
groomsie
Electrician's Mate

Default Update

OK, I adjusted volume up and now have Saigon coming in. AFRS seems to be just nothing (no static, just "blank")...I'll need to fiddle some more.

Thanks for the assistance Fred8615; a quick question--is the AFRS broadcast continuous, or are there dead air times even when the station is available to broacast? It looks to me like a show is broadcast only on certain days and may only last a set period of time. Is this correct?

Last edited by groomsie; 02-13-09 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-13-09, 09:35 AM   #184
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by groomsie
OK, I adjusted volume up and now have Saigon coming in. AFRS seems to be just nothing (no static, just "blank")...I'll need to fiddle some more.

Thanks for the assistance Fred8615; a quick question--is the AFRS broadcast continuous, or are there dead air times even when the station is available to broacast? It looks to me like a show is broadcast only on certain days and may only last a set period of time. Is this correct?
Programs in the Events folder are controlled by the events.ini file. By using it, you can have specific shows play at set dates and times. If there's no music in the year folders, then you won't hear anything until a show is scheduled to play. This is the case with all my stations. None of them have continious programing like what the real stations of that era had. Not only for reasons of size and availability of shows, but who wants to listen to soap operas all day long?

The MusicVolumeOnNews= setting is to turn down the music on the radio when an event plays. Otherwise you would hear both at the same time. It has no effect when an event is not playing. I use the .01 setting to get the best hearing for the scripted events.
Old 02-13-09, 10:05 AM   #185
groomsie
Electrician's Mate

Default Thanks Fred8615

Thanks for the clarification on the volume. I think between just digging in and fiddling + reading threads like this I'm gaining a handle on this aspect of the game. Last night I ordered a bunch of period recordings (music & famous speeches) from the library that I'm going to try and modify or create a new (imaginary) radio station.

Thanks again Fred8615 and all other modders / tipsters out there!
You guys really add to the game!
Old 02-13-09, 10:51 AM   #186
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by groomsie
Thanks for the clarification on the volume. I think between just digging in and fiddling + reading threads like this I'm gaining a handle on this aspect of the game. Last night I ordered a bunch of period recordings (music & famous speeches) from the library that I'm going to try and modify or create a new (imaginary) radio station.
Well if you need any help, let me know.
Old 02-13-09, 09:38 PM   #187
Shigawire
Mate

Downloads: 4

Ehm.. the readme was a bit ambiguous about this:

For KPO radio station:

You can use either the "Generic" info, or info based on the real AM frequencies used by KPO or KFI. You should install only one station, not both!

What does this mean? That I can only have one radio station, either KPO or KFI. Not both? Or do you mean that you can't have the "Real" and "Generic" simultaneously?

Because I see that KFI is for L.A. and KPO is for S.F.
Shouldn't both be in the radio.ini?
Shigawire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 11:38 AM   #188
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigawire
Ehm.. the readme was a bit ambiguous about this:

For KPO radio station:

You can use either the "Generic" info, or info based on the real AM frequencies used by KPO or KFI. You should install only one station, not both!

What does this mean? That I can only have one radio station, either KPO or KFI. Not both? Or do you mean that you can't have the "Real" and "Generic" simultaneously?

Because I see that KFI is for L.A. and KPO is for S.F.
Shouldn't both be in the radio.ini?
Because of the way SH4 uses the radio station folders, you have to do something different to have more than one station use the same folder. I have done this with the multiple AFRS stations, but not with KPO/KFI. In short, only one version can be used, whether it's KPO and KFI, or the generic and real frequencies.

If you do want, for whatever reason, to have both KPO and KFI, I can tell you how to fix it so that you can. But since both are global range stations, I personally don't see the point.
Old 02-21-09, 07:48 AM   #189
Seeadler24235
Nub

Downloads: 198
Default Help needed!

Hi, everybody!

I need some help. Downloading from the BtS-site stops after some 60 KB. Any ideas?
Seeadler24235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 11:33 AM   #190
fred8615
Saint of the seas

They have been doing some work, so maybe that's affecting downloads. If it keeps doing it, let me know and I'll ask over there. Are you registered there? It's not supposed to make a difference, but I might still need to know.
Old 03-07-09, 07:28 AM   #191
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145
a single radio directory?

I dont know if its has been done.

is it possible to have the radio files in a single directory? and redirect the particular (multi sh4) installs to make use of it?

I have 4 diff installs and in each I have a BIG radio directory, but I figure: if I put the audio files in one place, I can then have all the radio stations there and not have to choose which ones to install....

yes, theres a limit on HDs...

comments?

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 09:13 AM   #192
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjimeneza
I dont know if its has been done.

is it possible to have the radio files in a single directory? and redirect the particular (multi sh4) installs to make use of it?

I have 4 diff installs and in each I have a BIG radio directory, but I figure: if I put the audio files in one place, I can then have all the radio stations there and not have to choose which ones to install....

yes, theres a limit on HDs...

comments?
You can try playing around with the "Folder=" line of a station's info in the radio.ini, but I suspect the game is hard-coded to always look in the Data\Sound\Radio folder structure of the one you're playing. I don't have multiple installs, so I've never fooled with changing it for something like that.
Old 03-27-09, 06:04 PM   #193
Budds
Bosun

Downloads: 236

Love the work Fred..... Thanks !

One issue for me tho........
KHJ, when I extract to a folder I get 3-4 "Corrupt" files outta the bunch.
Is it just me and I need to re-D-Load it.... or something in the package.

Any Thoughts..........

Budds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 09:56 AM   #194
fred8615
Saint of the seas

If it's telling you the specific part number that's messing up, try re-downloading it. If it keeps doing it after several tries, let me know and I'll re-upload that part. It may have gotten corrupted on the server.
Old 03-31-09, 01:53 AM   #195
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default RAR extraction of downloaded files.

I have a ton of RAR music files that I have downloaded. What it the fastest program to extract the files. It is taking a long time to extract the RAR files. I am using RSM 1.2. At this rate, the war will be over before I can play the radio with all of the downloaded music.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music, radio, radio stations