SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-10, 10:27 AM   #1
Axeman3d
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default CGI submarine I knocked up, ideas wanted

Hi gang, used to be a regular here back when SHIII came out, and came back to check out the views on SH-V when it came out, then decided not to buy it just yet...

Anyway, for a laugh i make 3D models, and when I was bored today I decided I'd avoid the usual space ships and aircraft and instead build a submarine. Here's a couple of links, click to embiggen...

The only other sub I've made was a Typhoon some years ago, using references from the web. This was made without using any real references or anything, I just wanted to build a sort of Russian looking sub. I guess it now sort of has elements of Russian, US and UK subs as well, as I was just sticking on bits here and there that looked nice to me. I suppose it's most like the new Borei class, but I was aiming part Typhoon and part Alfa, and this is where I ended up.

It's not super detailed or anything, just something to pass the time. I should have made some masts and bridge crew for the surface shot, since I went to the trouble of making it look like an old western photo of a Russian sub stopped on the surface. I also haven't decided yet where to put the fore diving planes, and thought you guys might have an opinion. Mount them on the sail and you get less noise near the bow sonar, but control is apparently more difficult at periscope depth and you need to faff around to get through ice. Just behind the sonar you get easier depth control but more noise near the sonar. What do you guys think? Ideas? Comments welcomed.
Axeman3d is offline   Reply With Quote