SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-12, 02:17 AM   #1
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Hi 11bravo, just a quick question on the star positions. Are they appearing at the correct positions for the actual date, years etc or are they offset and a conversion is required to there positions to calculate where they should be from almac data?

Even if offset does the sky model in sh3 reflect real world position and dates?
I guess what I'm asking is would the stars in the sky on a certain date and position in the globe look the same to the player as it would to a person if they were looking at the sky at that time in real-life, that would be amazing for sh3 if it were the case.

EDIT
Well some good news I've now got the code in place and working that automatically changes the Screen Clock to the Correct GMT time.
That is the BZT is now taken from the Time:

Stock SH3:
GMT = T+TZ+BTZ

Coded SH3:
GMT = T+TZ

Unfortunately I haven't found a way yet to change the Mouse-over Local Time as it is not a Numerical Value like most values but is in fact the Text entry from the en_menu.txt ;2703=|Local time: %02d:%02d

where %02d:%02d updates the text values.

Will see if I can do a workaround, if not the Modded Map that 11Bravo made can be used to see the timezone for localtime.

Last edited by reaper7; 04-22-12 at 01:03 PM.
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-12, 01:03 PM   #2
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 806
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post
Hi 11bravo, just a quick question on the star positions. Are they appearing at the correct positions for the actual date, years etc or are they offset and a conversion is required to there positions to calculate where they should be from almac data?

Even if offset does the sky model in sh3 reflect real world position and dates?
I guess what I'm asking is would the stars in the sky on a certain date and position in the globe look the same to the player as it would to a person if they were looking at the sky at that time in real-life, that would be amazing for sh3 if it were the case.
From what I remember the stars were accurate 'enough'... To which date I'm not sure, but this shouldn't be a problem as you use the almanac for that year.

The optics of the cameras were difficult to work with but it looks like it was a SIN (COS) function of sorts. If you play with the camera magnifications you'll fook the POV angles. I looked at trying to extract and display the elevation angle of the scopes, but this didn't happen. If you can do this you'll should get good accuracy.
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-12, 11:08 PM   #3
postalbyke
Chief

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 1

This is totally sweet! I usually get too wrapped up in playing the game to "seriously" mod :P
I'm still working on completing my first mod lol

I did some work on celnav a while ago, and my sky always seemed to show up at GMT=local (I haven't followed what all has been said about the clocks, I hope that Reaper has "fixed" that little oversight)
I shot all my elevations using the observation periscope after discovering that I couldn't get my MaGui sextant to work (I think my screen buggers the angularity somehow...)(or it's just that pesky 5:4 v 4:3 problem)

Either way, I'm really stoked about your inventiveness and investment of time on this project!
Old 04-23-12, 10:11 AM   #4
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjast View Post
From what I remember the stars were accurate 'enough'... To which date I'm not sure, but this shouldn't be a problem as you use the almanac for that year.
Good, good so the stars are pretty accurate for a certain date/year.
Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalbyke View Post
I did some work on celnav a while ago, and my sky always seemed to show up at GMT=local (I haven't followed what all has been said about the clocks, I hope that Reaper has "fixed" that little oversight)
Hi mate, I can send you a test file since your fimilar with the GMT=GMT+local time issue in sh3. You can test to see if my fix is working as intended.
Cheers mate.
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 04:15 PM   #5
11Bravo
Medic

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

I'm back after reinstalling SH3...my game computer is old and it crashed during testing and it corrupted the install. Took a while but everything is back up. Then I worked 15 hours today at my real job, so I will have to answer questions tomorrow.

Star positions seem to be accurate to the day and year, but I need the accurate sextant completed to confirm that. This weekend I want to complete this "voyage" and have the sextant finished and ready for download.

The next "voyage" will test the star positions in the game, and maybe some sun and moon positions.

Reaper7 I had your app up and running! Nice. I need to spend some time testing it though.
"Sounds of terror are in his ears; While at peace the destroyer comes upon him." -- Job 15:21
11Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 05:22 PM   #6
vanjast
Sea Lord

Quote:
This weekend I want to complete this "voyage" and have the sextant finished and ready for download.
Curious

Quote:
The next "voyage" will test the star positions in the game, and maybe some sun and moon positions.
Ah.. the Sun.. the Moon ??... AFAIK.. they (developers) fooked this up completely.

If you can correct this.. great stuff
Old 04-23-12, 05:31 PM   #7
vanjast
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjast View Post
They (developers) fooked this up completely.
Longitude is not too much a problem... but it's Latitude that's way off - correcting this to USNO's almanac will be interesting.

Maybe the developers forgot that the world shape is an orange and not a perfect sphere
Old 04-23-13, 04:00 PM   #8
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post
[...]
where %02d:%02d updates the text values.

Will see if I can do a workaround, if not the Modded Map that 11Bravo made can be used to see the timezone for localtime.

IMHO it's not important. I can easily live without local time, but hardly need GMT. Will be nice to see GMT on interior watch in my uboat...
Did you do any progres with this problem?
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote