SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-29-09, 01:30 PM   #151
Dissaray
中国水兵

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

I grabed this tool to try it out, I have truble ploting intercepts and geting a good firing solution, and this looked like a good aid. I extracted the .exe file into my SH3 folder and tryed to run it and got a mesage that reads "Error Starting DirectX." I thought it might have been an error with the down load so I deleted the zip file and and started over. Sadly this didn't solve the problem. I then though maybe extracting it to my desk top would solve the problem, no dice there eather. I am runing Windows XP and I think my DirectX is up to date. Any ideas on how to get this to work?
Dissaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 01:43 PM   #152
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissaray View Post
I grabed this tool to try it out, I have truble ploting intercepts and geting a good firing solution, and this looked like a good aid. I extracted the .exe file into my SH3 folder and tryed to run it and got a mesage that reads "Error Starting DirectX." I thought it might have been an error with the down load so I deleted the zip file and and started over. Sadly this didn't solve the problem. I then though maybe extracting it to my desk top would solve the problem, no dice there eather. I am runing Windows XP and I think my DirectX is up to date. Any ideas on how to get this to work?
The app stands alone, meaning you can place it into any folder and to access it while SH is running you would have to Alt-TAB out to the desktop to access the funtions.

I do recommend watching the excellent video tutorial that the author spent a lot of time putting together for all of us.

Happy Hunting!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 01:57 PM   #153
Dissaray
中国水兵

Downloads: 35

I did watch the tutorial vids posted by the auther, very impresive. The ease and effectiveness of the attack is what got me intrested in this tool. My problem isn't so much using the tool, it is geting the tool to run on my computer. Every time I try to run it I get an error mesage regaurding DirectX and the program shuts down.
Dissaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 02:04 AM   #154
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85

I had the same problem and I had to download the latest Direct X versions from Microsoft.

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 10:03 AM   #155
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissaray View Post
I did watch the tutorial vids posted by the auther, very impresive. The ease and effectiveness of the attack is what got me intrested in this tool. My problem isn't so much using the tool, it is geting the tool to run on my computer. Every time I try to run it I get an error mesage regaurding DirectX and the program shuts down.
Could this be Net Framework issue? Try and reload the DirectX 9.0c. Sorry the previous suggestions were rubbish. It ain't easy to troubleshoot on a forum. Best of luck!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 02:25 PM   #156
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1

You also need the Net Framework, right? 'Cause many times you need to install it yourself.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 02:44 PM   #157
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

If it were a .NET problem, you wouldn't even get to the part of the code where it initializes DirectX. The progam would fail to run all together. So it's not a .NET issue.

Your likely problem is that while you may have DirectX9c installed, you may be missing one of the updates (specifically the March 2009 update). Normally games will install the updates they need when you install them, but you may have not come across a game that installs that specific update yet. This program uses the managed (.NET) library extensions for DirectX that are found in the march 2009 update. so without it, it wont run.

Use microsoft's directX web installer. It will only download and install what you are missing:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Download the setup file and run it. It will check your installation and figure out what you dont have and auto download/install them for you.

I could have included those components with the program, but most people won't need them... and would just make the downlaod larger for everyone else. So i opted not to.

Last edited by gutted; 10-30-09 at 02:57 PM.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 12:55 AM   #158
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default thinking of you

My computer crashed. I am reinstalling everything. I finally got to UBI, and I am downloading SH4, mods, etc. I am came across your program, and know how hard you worked on it. It is a great tool, and is an indispensible part of my arsenal. Thank you. You have taught me well. I am grateful.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 04:33 PM   #159
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
angle question

I use your Solution Solver for 90 degree attacks. I was wondering if you can use it for attacks at odd angles. For example the Cromwell attack is at a 45 degrees angle to the target's course. Can and how do you use the Solution Solver to set up an attack at 45 degrees? Also, if can be set up to work at that angle, I assume it can be used for a night attack at distance so long as the radar man is following the target and giving you its bearings.

Once I solve this solution (pun intended), I hope to employ the Solution Solver for attacks at a variety of angles.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 03:58 PM   #160
gutted
The Old Man

just uploaded the final version of the program (though it still says 1.3.2).

It fixes a minor bug in the dynamic distance chart and adds the ship length browser to the speed solver. next to the ship length entry box is alittle button to open it. The ship lengths can be configured through the ship.xml file, though I didn't have time to update the manual on the details of the config file. But it shouldn't be that hard to figure out if you just look at whats already there. when SH5 comes out, you can add that game to the browser as well.

If anyone really needs me to though, i can elaborate on any specifics of the ship.xml file that may be unclear.

In any event, the program is now final, and the code is packed away with the intent on not touching it again. I know rockin' robbins wanted me to add one feature, but i honestly dont have the time for it anymore. I may however release the source code for anyone to modify if there is any interst in it. The code is heavily commented already.
Old 12-03-09, 04:09 PM   #161
gutted
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I use your Solution Solver for 90 degree attacks. I was wondering if you can use it for attacks at odd angles. For example the Cromwell attack is at a 45 degrees angle to the target's course. Can and how do you use the Solution Solver to set up an attack at 45 degrees? Also, if can be set up to work at that angle, I assume it can be used for a night attack at distance so long as the radar man is following the target and giving you its bearings.

Once I solve this solution (pun intended), I hope to employ the Solution Solver for attacks at a variety of angles.

As long as both ship's courses are set correctly on the dials, and the target and torpedo speeds are entered correctly as well, the angle doesn't matter.

The shoot bearing will be correct as long as nothing changes between the time of firing and the time of impact.

Range plays a big factor here though. The further away you are, the more accurate the data needs to be. So dont curse me if you miss, as it's never a "sure thing".

Use this in addition to your methods, not as a replacement.
Old 12-04-09, 12:13 AM   #162
gutted
The Old Man

forgot to mention this:

in the ship length browser you double click the ship you want to send its length to the speed solver.
Old 02-15-10, 02:41 PM   #163
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Hi gutted, only got around to trying out solution software.
Its very impressive, love the way you have the dials linked to other function like the scope. Think I may have to stop using the built Wiz-wheel for this on a second screen.
By the way any chance of a reupload of your vids (Gone before I could download them - have been a way from SH4 for almost 6mths due to a new House build).
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 02:55 PM   #164
Nico71
Medic

Downloads: 124

Can't get it to run on my notebook. All I get is the message "Error initializing dials". It works fine on my desktop system (Win7). The notebook has XP SP3 with DirectX9 and NET 2.0 installed via online update, the files are, as far as I can see, the same as on my DT system. Does anyone have an idea what I can do?
Nico71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 08:51 AM   #165
gutted
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico71 View Post
Can't get it to run on my notebook. All I get is the message "Error initializing dials". It works fine on my desktop system (Win7). The notebook has XP SP3 with DirectX9 and NET 2.0 installed via online update, the files are, as far as I can see, the same as on my DT system. Does anyone have an idea what I can do?
It's likely the loading of the dial graphics onto directx device textures. What are the graphics capabilities of your notebook? what chipset? how much video memory? do you have any problems running directx games on it?

Anyway.. not sure how much help i'll be in the matter, because im no longer working on the program. I dont even have the programming environment installed right now. I reformatted some time back and as of yet, had no need to reinstall that stuff yet. Probably wont do that until i have a need for it.

but...

I've released the source code for the program for others to add, fix, update if they choose:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=162478

^ accidently posted it to the SH5 forums instead of SHIV. whoops.