SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-19-14, 09:36 AM   #1
Joefour
Engineer

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0
Default What's up with tube V?

Hey Guys,

I've recently been adding more realism to my game, including manual targeting. I like using the "straight shot" method for aiming torpedos. I've noticed that when I try to use the stern tube manually, I don't get the green trajectory line. I set up everything for the shot, but the torp doesn't swim in a straight line, it just goes willy-nilly all over the place. I have no problem at all with the four front tubes. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Like I said, no problem at all with the front tubes.
Thanks.

"I love the smell of burning oil slicks in the morning. It smells like...Victory!"
Joefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 11:58 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I haven't played in awhile, and was never good at manual targeting, but one question does come to mind: Are you remembering to set the gyro angle for '180' rather than '0'?
Old 08-19-14, 02:33 PM   #3
Joefour
Engineer

Default Gyro Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I haven't played in awhile, and was never good at manual targeting, but one question does come to mind: Are you remembering to set the gyro angle for '180' rather than '0'?
I used the Bearing and AOB dials to flip the gyro from the stern. That turned the trick. Silly me. Never thought about it.

THANKS STEVE!

Now for a little more practice.

"I love the smell of burning oil slicks in the morning. It smells like...Victory!"
Old 08-20-14, 08:54 AM   #4
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

I recommend that you set the target ship speed to 0, and then turn the scope to 180º. When you are exactly on the gyroangle should read 000. Then you'll know you're looking exactly stern and you should be able to set up the manual shot properly. Strangely enough, when I switch back to the manual computer (F6 screen) the needle seems to be a little bit to the left when I do so, but the shots go off like clockwork.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 09:59 AM   #5
Joefour
Engineer

Default Gyroangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
I recommend that you set the target ship speed to 0, and then turn the scope to 180º. When you are exactly on the gyroangle should read 000. Then you'll know you're looking exactly stern and you should be able to set up the manual shot properly. Strangely enough, when I switch back to the manual computer (F6 screen) the needle seems to be a little bit to the left when I do so, but the shots go off like clockwork.
Gotcha. And it's working like a charm.

Old 08-20-14, 12:34 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WOOHOO!
Old 08-20-14, 12:36 PM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
I haven't tried this, so don't know for sure. But it could be because the torpedo is a couple of hundred meters away on your side after it has made the turn. So it sees the target from a slightly different position and angle.

Still wondering why you would want to do all this though. I hope you all are aware of the fact that the aft torpedo tube was placed aft deliberately! To fire at objects located behind you! It's not like they didn't have any space for a tube at the front, so they stuffed it in the back. And in the interest of realism and RL procedures, wanting to make a torpedo do U-turn is asking for inaccuracy. Early torpedoes couldn't even turn as far. But it is a game, do whatever you feel like.

Last edited by Pisces; 08-20-14 at 01:09 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 02:44 PM   #8
Joefour
Engineer

Default Stern Torps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I haven't tried this, so don't know for sure. But it could be because the torpedo is a couple of hundred meters away on your side after it has made the turn. So it sees the target from a slightly different position and angle.

Still wondering why you would want to do all this though. I hope you all are aware of the fact that the aft torpedo tube was placed aft deliberately! To fire at objects located behind you! It's not like they didn't have any space for a tube at the front, so they stuffed it in the back. And in the interest of realism and RL procedures, wanting to make a torpedo do U-turn is asking for inaccuracy. Early torpedoes couldn't even turn as far. But it is a game, do whatever you feel like.
I just wanted to clarify:When I fire tube V with a straight shot, my stern is pointed toward the target. What I was screwing up was the AOB and Bearing dials.

Old 08-21-14, 02:45 PM   #9
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefour View Post
I just wanted to clarify:When I fire tube V with a straight shot, my stern is pointed toward the target. What I was screwing up was the AOB and Bearing dials.
Ok, misunderstanding.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 03:45 PM   #10
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefour View Post
You actually don't need to touch the dials. Just switch treh TVR to manual input. Select Tube V. Turn the scope to 180 (or current target bearing). Then switch back to auto-update. AoB will stay correct. Bearing will update. Gyro angle will be correct. You will be ready to shoot.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote