SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-26-14, 08:46 PM   #1
Nukesub
Torpedoman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0
Default H.sie ver. ACM GUI Targetting Question

Ahoy Kaleuns,

So I have begun playing around with this mod. For those not familiar, here is a video of someone using it:

Anyway, how you do this Range/AoB wheel depends on (so far as I can tell) whether you are at 6x zoom or 1.5x zoom.

Does anyone know the method for being at 1.5x zoom? I would greatly appreciate direction here.

Nukesub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-14, 09:01 PM   #2
Nukesub
Torpedoman

Quick update, I seem to have answered my own questions but I will put it here anyway in case anyone in the future is digging for the same info I was.

i still welcome anyone to weigh in on this question though.

So it seems the targeting method shown in the above video is only viable for 6x zoom with no mention of a 1.5x zoom method. (source: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159346)
Old 07-27-14, 04:28 AM   #3
krautjacket
Seaman

Downloads: 34

Hi Nukesub, where did you find this mod? I downloaded HsGUI ver3.1 for GWX thinking it was this, but can't seem to get it to work anyway

Handelsschiffen gesunken:
Kriegsschiffen gesunken:
Tonnen:
Patrouillen: ( Seetage)

krautjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 06:47 AM   #4
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukesub View Post
Quick update, I seem to have answered my own questions but I will put it here anyway in case anyone in the future is digging for the same info I was.

i still welcome anyone to weigh in on this question though.

So it seems the targeting method shown in the above video is only viable for 6x zoom with no mention of a 1.5x zoom method. (source: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show....php?t=159346)
The 1.5x magnification just decreases all angular measurements by a factor of 4. So you use the RAOBF just as the vid says, but multiply the angle measure (the number of marks) by 4.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 09:37 AM   #5
Nukesub
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautjacket View Post
Hi Nukesub, where did you find this mod? I downloaded HsGUI ver3.1 for GWX thinking it was this, but can't seem to get it to work anyway
I believe I got it from Maik's serious mod archive (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=171019). For best results I recommend using FileZilla to connect and DL the mods you'd like.

Just look for a folder called H.sie in there and then DL the following mod:

ACM GUI Reloaded - h.sie's Edition V1.15

It comes with several optional mods packaged within along with a readme that explains it all.
Old 07-27-14, 09:37 AM   #6
Nukesub
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
The 1.5x magnification just decreases all angular measurements by a factor of 4. So you use the RAOBF just as the vid says, but multiply the angle measure (the number of marks) by 4.
Thanks BigWalleye! I will give this a try.
Old 07-27-14, 09:57 AM   #7
krautjacket
Seaman

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukesub View Post
I believe I got it from Maik's serious mod archive (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=171019). For best results I recommend using FileZilla to connect and DL the mods you'd like.

Just look for a folder called H.sie in there and then DL the following mod:

ACM GUI Reloaded - h.sie's Edition V1.15

It comes with several optional mods packaged within along with a readme that explains it all.
Having trouble connecting with FileZilla, I've never used it before

Handelsschiffen gesunken:
Kriegsschiffen gesunken:
Tonnen:
Patrouillen: ( Seetage)

krautjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 11:35 AM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

In the OLC Gui mod, which this one is based on iirc, there used to be a scratch mark on the most inner scale around 14.5 degrees (AOB) to help with the lower power zoom correction. As the sine of 14.5 degrees is approximately 0.25, or equivalent to a fourth of whatever mark is above the 90 degree position on top. Don't know if H.sie ever considered implementing this, or even knew about this trick.

Anyway, if you need to get a range from a mast reading at low power zoom (1/4th of high power zoom) you simply drag the observed mastheight to the 14.5 degree mark (instead of above 90). Then you read the range oposing the known mastheight.

Going to get AOB from that is basically the same, except for a correction in the end.

So you still drag the middle wheel from the target's known mastheight to the target length.

In the high power zoom, the AOB would be across the observed target width (2 smallest scales). But that is too small in the low power zoom view. The false AOB is probably somewhere at the bottom. So you need to perform a x4 correction on the wheel, by dragging the middle wheel from 14.5 degree over to 90. THEN you locate the observed width from the low power view on the middle wheel, and read the AOB across it.

As you don't seem to have that scratch mark at 14.5, you can also use the angle between the 10 and 40 marks, and between 50 and 200 (or whatever pair is a x4) on the outer mastheight/length scale for reference. This should have the same effect of doing x4 multiplications.

Unless the target is so close that it is larger than the periscope view, I see no reason to ever do a low power zoom measurement.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 08:51 PM   #9
Nukesub
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
In the OLC Gui mod, which this one is based on iirc, there used to be a scratch mark on the most inner scale around 14.5 degrees (AOB) to help with the lower power zoom correction. As the sine of 14.5 degrees is approximately 0.25, or equivalent to a fourth of whatever mark is above the 90 degree position on top. Don't know if H.sie ever considered implementing this, or even knew about this trick.

Anyway, if you need to get a range from a mast reading at low power zoom (1/4th of high power zoom) you simply drag the observed mastheight to the 14.5 degree mark (instead of above 90). Then you read the range oposing the known mastheight.

Going to get AOB from that is basically the same, except for a correction in the end.

So you still drag the middle wheel from the target's known mastheight to the target length.

In the high power zoom, the AOB would be across the observed target width (2 smallest scales). But that is too small in the low power zoom view. The false AOB is probably somewhere at the bottom. So you need to perform a x4 correction on the wheel, by dragging the middle wheel from 14.5 degree over to 90. THEN you locate the observed width from the low power view on the middle wheel, and read the AOB across it.

As you don't seem to have that scratch mark at 14.5, you can also use the angle between the 10 and 40 marks, and between 50 and 200 (or whatever pair is a x4) on the outer mastheight/length scale for reference. This should have the same effect of doing x4 multiplications.

Unless the target is so close that it is larger than the periscope view, I see no reason to ever do a low power zoom measurement.
Thank you Pisces! This was an interesting read.

A bit of a side note, I'm not sure where I read this but I have it in my manual targetting notes and I certainly did not come up with it, but I have written for calculating close mast heights:

Range = (Mast Height * 345) / (Vertical Mark Height in Periscope)

So say the ships mast height was at 7 marks in the periscope view and the identification book states its mast height as 25 meters, then the range would be ~ 1230 meters I think...

Again I have no idea where this comes from, mathematically or who thought it up. It seems to be a quick way of getting those last minute range checks on big ships.

I have only tried it out once so far. And it may only be applicable to H.sie's version of ACM Reloaded GUI
Old 07-30-14, 12:51 PM   #10
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

If you don't know where this comes from than I would distrust the 345 value. The H.sie scope marks might require a different value to match. It depends on how many marks per degree it has. Try it with a known distance. Ask your watch officer for a distance to a nearby friendly, and your use the periscope to check the formula.

As a first order approximation this formula should work for long distances. But in close quarters the formula might break down. Again, where it stops being usefull is something to be tested in the game.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 07:13 PM   #11
Nukesub
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
If you don't know where this comes from than I would distrust the 345 value. The H.sie scope marks might require a different value to match. It depends on how many marks per degree it has. Try it with a known distance. Ask your watch officer for a distance to a nearby friendly, and your use the periscope to check the formula.

As a first order approximation this formula should work for long distances. But in close quarters the formula might break down. Again, where it stops being usefull is something to be tested in the game.
Just an update, I found where I read the x345 formula for calculating range!

From http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159346

"3) Range can also be calculated without the AOB-Tool by using the simple formula

Range = (Mastheight x 345) / Marks

where Mastheight is the ship's mastheight according to the Recognition Manual,
and Marks is the number of vertical Marks the ship spans across.
This formula is only valid for the UZO and both Periscopes with 6x zoom,
and the formula is of course only valid for ACM-GUI Reloaded."