SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-17, 02:39 PM   #1
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Default Stolen work and modding etiquette

I've been a modder here with SubSim for quite a while. Something that came up the other day was the realization that some newer mods are using older work without proper crediting. All of my mods state that anyone can use my work as long as they give credit where credit is due. When this simple request goes unnoticed or ignored, it causes me to wonder if the voluntary guidelines, set out within this forum, is either read or understood.

The Guidelines for us all are HERE.

I'm bringing this up because I ran across this 2010 mod found in our "Downloads" section called "Medals Fix IV for v1.5 - TMO". This fellow Latency states:

The original idea was taken from fullmetaledges who put out vII and somehow was incorporated in TMO supermod. Here is the fix to your incorrect attempt and I want to give credit where credit is due EVEN THOUGH I revamped this completely from scratch.

What a lie!!

The original work was done by me in 2008, revised in 2009 using this thread. Ducimus and I added my fix to TMO because it not only adds the authentic medals to the game, but the hierarchy of the medal group was corrected which prevented the correct medal to be awarded for the players achievements. The work is still in TMO 2.5....this mod isn't needed...it corrects nothing!!

Latency also states:

There were a couple other attempts from modders which I had also looked at and those were just plain crap. Sorry, but the image quality wasn't that good and what's with the SH3 medals? I am convinced by the way the config files were constructed, that those were a quick hack and were clueless needless to say.

His BS is beyond belief, and one of the reasons I'm calling him on it. Enough is enough!

I compared his in-mod images to mine....their individually exact reproductions of the same images I made years ago!?! Compare for yourself using any image editor.

The "statute of limitations" may have passed regarding this mod and its theft. But, for those of us who invest hours into our pay-free work, only to see it used by egotistic A-holes without even as much as a nod of credit....it's too much to ignore.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote