SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-13, 04:33 PM   #1
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177
Uploads: 0
Default Type XXI Tips and Tricks

I picked up SH3 after a long while away and I decided instead of doing my normal trick of starting a career from '38 and trying to survive the entire war, I would start my new career in '44 as the driver of a brand new type XXI.

Needless to say, operating her is very different to the II's and VII's that I am used to and after searching around the forum I couldn't find much info.

I'm using GWX and HSIE's exe patch.

Snorkelling - does this also replenish the air on the boat, or does it just allow the diesels to run while submerged?

Radar and radar warning receiver: I think I have these, but I'm not sure. I can't find any way to turn the radar on and off or raise the mast (if it requires raising).
I also cannot find out how to determine if my warning receiver is working, or where the display is. I'd rather not wait until my 1st contact to figure all this out!
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 03:03 PM   #2
the dark knight
Bosun

Downloads: 16

If I recall from running a Type XXI before, yes, snorkeling should replenish the air in your boat. When I ran my XXI I never surfaced after leaving port, she is too clumsy and slow on the surface (15 knows surfaced, 18 submerged at top speed on the diesel engines). Historically the snorkel brought fresh air into the boat, and the engines got their air from the air inside the sub.

The radar...... I know I had radar and warning receivers on my snorkel and they worked while the snorkel was up. But I can not remember if they were extra, or if they came stock..... I also can not remember about how the 'mattress radar' worked in game. on the Type IX, you tell your radio operator to turn it on and off.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-13, 08:22 AM   #3
Marcello
Planesman

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman764 View Post
Radar and radar warning receiver: I think I have these, but I'm not sure. I can't find any way to turn the radar on and off or raise the mast (if it requires raising).
I also cannot find out how to determine if my warning receiver is working, or where the display is. I'd rather not wait until my 1st contact to figure all this out!
With GWX you get the XXI in 1944 but the snorkel mounted RWR is not available until 1945 IIRC.The one on the conning tower is available earlier of course but cannot be used submerged. I would suggest staying away from hot areas until the snorkel receiver becomes available because even with the most prudent use of the snorkel the likelyhood of getting bounced by ASW planes is very high. By night with the observation periscope you are not likely to see the plane before it turns on the Leigh light, by day it is not much better.
With the snorkel mounted RWR you have a good chance to get enough time to take corrective measures.
Personally I use the radar only when sailing surfaced in weather so bad that the snorkel cannot be used to recharge batteries, otherwise I always run underwater. The radar can be activated by the radar station near the radio one or with the R key.
Personally I use this modyou get the RWR from day one; not very historical but using the XXI is not very realistic, still I never use the XXI before mid 1943.
Marcello is offline   Reply With Quote