SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-12, 02:07 PM   #1051
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Check out what bestheda did in a week.

Yeah.. pissed me off.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 02:53 PM   #1052
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Sort of... if they can do all that in 1 week then why the H isn't it in the game?

Just put it in an optional bonus package or something, I'd pay for it.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 02:55 PM   #1053
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Quote:
What if we worked like that more often
You'd get your games done in a complete manner lacking any bugs and with a lot more content and a fan base that would sacrifice their first born to play your games...

The fact that they realise they can do this in one week yet they still don't release amazing stuff like this on release is so frustrating..
Old 02-09-12, 04:32 PM   #1054
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Yes, some of that would be nice indeed. Mounted combat for one.

Hopefully we're looking at some stuff that'll make it into a DLC in the future.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 04:50 PM   #1055
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
You'd get your games done in a complete manner lacking any bugs and with a lot more content and a fan base that would sacrifice their first born to play your games...

The fact that they realise they can do this in one week yet they still don't release amazing stuff like this on release is so frustrating..
You know, there is a rational behind it. It kinda figures they'd think of a bunch of stuff up on their own. Thing's that we'd all want. Mounted combat, or one example straight from Todd Howards mouth is having horses carry things for us. Yeah they can do that too. Why didn't they? Something he calls "The spotlight". Where you focus the players attention. See the whole speech/presentation he gives here (the above video i posted was only 5 minutes of a 40 minute speech)

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamesp...eynote20120208
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 04:55 PM   #1056
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post

Yeah, because Skyrim is so shallow and unplayable. I thought they gave us a pretty amazing game and found it very interesting to see how they go about working on and thinking about these sorts of projects.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 05:33 PM   #1057
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

In that video i just posted above, he pretty much said in black and white, "we can do anything, we just can't do everything".
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 06:17 PM   #1058
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38

fact is you will see some of that stuff make it over in patches and DLC period.

If you watch the whole video basically they had a plan, designed a game and focused down on the main goals and knocked out an amazing game... then once it was released they of course had the game jam what your seeing is once again the creativity of the whole team going solo.

That being said its a company that charged for horse armor, I have NO DOUBT at all that the suits at beth are going to say keep that skyrim team together and knock out a bunch of those features... keep on milking our costumer base because they WILL pay.

And truth is, yep I will, damn right 4.99 for a dragon mount sure, 2.99 for mounted combat yep. I won't even complain you know why?

Because Beth isn't EA, they didn't add multiplayer in, or change the Elder Scrolls, sure Skyrim is dumbed down since Daggerfall or Arena, but what game isn't these days its a fine line between appealing to new costumer base and keeping happy your long time core player base. A line they walk well without hurting my love for the game, or them.

+Customer, I have no idea why I misspelled that twice.
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 08:03 PM   #1059
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
fact is you will see some of that stuff make it over in patches and DLC period.

If you watch the whole video basically they had a plan, designed a game and focused down on the main goals and knocked out an amazing game... then once it was released they of course had the game jam what your seeing is once again the creativity of the whole team going solo.

That being said its a company that charged for horse armor, I have NO DOUBT at all that the suits at beth are going to say keep that skyrim team together and knock out a bunch of those features... keep on milking our costumer base because they WILL pay.

And truth is, yep I will, damn right 4.99 for a dragon mount sure, 2.99 for mounted combat yep. I won't even complain you know why?

Because Beth isn't EA, they didn't add multiplayer in, or change the Elder Scrolls, sure Skyrim is dumbed down since Daggerfall or Arena, but what game isn't these days its a fine line between appealing to new costumer base and keeping happy your long time core player base. A line they walk well without hurting my love for the game, or them.

+Customer, I have no idea why I misspelled that twice.
Good post. I'll gladly buy any and all DLC for Skyrim on day one in order to support Bethesda as they've consistently done a great job with TES games over the years. That being said, I read an interview not too long ago and it sounds like they've learned their lesson from the horse armor debacle....

Found it. It was Ken Rolston, the lead designer of Oblivion. When asked about the horse armor:

Quote:
I innocently thought the horse armor was awesome.
Christiana, the lead animaotr then, LOVED horses. Loved them to pieces. And I thought she made a loving tribute to the glorious appearance of horses.

Okay. We didn't yet really understand how DLC work, and how users would use and value them. It was the Dawn of a New Age.

I love making money. But I love it when the user LOVES paying the money... when he gets as much pleasure from paying for his loot and he does for playing with it.
While he doesn't work at Bethesda anymore, I think the lesson was still learned.

Besides, they've already stated that the DLC for Skyrim is going to be few and far between, but they're going to be substantial add-ons. I would wager that some of that stuff is going to make it into an add-on in the future. I'm sure they had lots of good ideas that had to be shelved for later add-ons due to time constraints. I'm glad they narrowed their focus and got things (mostly) right.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 08:22 PM   #1060
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

My new best friend, Bob
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 11:38 PM   #1061
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
Yeah, because Skyrim is so shallow and unplayable. I thought they gave us a pretty amazing game and found it very interesting to see how they go about working on and thinking about these sorts of projects.
I'm not saying Skyrim isn't a great game, or that what the developers gave us was insubstantial. But what I am frustrated at, is seeing what one programmer can do with a weeks time, and then seeing stuff like horse armor being charged money.

I will gladly pay for any DLC, it will just frustrate me if it is something simple like horse armor that I know they could've coded in a matter of days if not hours.
Old 02-10-12, 12:08 AM   #1062
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Ooooookay... just in case I have to go that route, is there anyway to get the hi res textures out of there without having to go back and reinstall the entire game? They seem to have installed like a game patch rather than something that can just be uninstalled or disabled like a mod.

Because altho the game looks beautiful, it doesn't look beautiful when I'm getting so much flickering on camera move and loading a new cell or constantly on the horizon and other long-range views and there *does* seem to be a bit more lag in places and I haven't even done any real adventuring yet, just messed around with moving some items from one property to another. And it doesn't really look beautiful-er enough to put up with all of that.

Also it seems to be setting off the alarm on my UPS unit on a regular basis now which is really annoying. Just tips it enough over the warning limit periodically to make the thing go off. Altho my UPS seems to be stuck in "self test" mode and has been all night every time I've checked and I don't know what's up with that, so maybe it's the unit or the software. I've tried rebooting the whole machine and turning the thing completely off and back on and it still starts up with the "test" still running.

I dunno, I may experiment with some graphics settings but I think the complete hi res stuff may turn out to be too much PITA for something that isn't really a game-maker or -breaker at this point.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 12:47 PM   #1063
Drewcifer
Commodore

Just unclick the texture pack esp in the data files menu of the skyrim launcher and bam your high res textures are off.
Old 02-10-12, 01:08 PM   #1064
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Just unclick the texture pack esp in the data files menu of the skyrim launcher and bam your high res textures are off.
Well after looking online it seems that's the answer but I could swear I checked in there and didn't see it. Maybe I got it confused with one of my other mods. Or maybe it didn't install properly altho that would make me wonder why I suddenly started having graphics glitches and the UPS going off.

Saw something today too about reports that the hi res pack was buggy and some of the new textures weren't being loaded properly by the game leading to some problems.

There was an update to my graphics drivers from ATI/AMD, but the DLC page said to make sure your drivers were up to date before downloading so I let the driver update go ahead and install first. Even though in the past updating drivers "just because" has generally turned out to be a bad idea.

Thanks though I will look into it again when I get home. The thing with the UPS still could just have been the unit itself, unless the game overloaded something and that threw it into a prolonged self-test mode. Well, I need to buy a second one anyway so maybe I will just pick up one that is a little more hardcore for the PC and use the current one (provided it still works okay) for other components.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 01:20 PM   #1065
Drewcifer
Commodore

The texture dlc downloaded as a mod, its in two esp packages just like anyother mod, so if yours isn't there this is a problem lol.

Also yeah I read that a few textures were actually packaged incorrectly and cause issues, for one I noticed the vines growing on the walls in windhelm cemetary change as your view point changes sort of flickering to different amounts and details of vines but upon a reload today it isn't doing it so I don't know.

As for any other issues or slowdowns I haven't noticed a single thing the game runs the same as before and I like the added in depth details. Of course my system is a bit of a beast, though I did have a stuttering issue post patch 1.4 it was not lag but a "camera mounted on a helmet" type micro stutter I fixed it with limiting my fps to 60, I guess when teh game spike up to 100 fps or so it causes these crazy stutters.