SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-05-12, 12:56 PM   #1951
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I read about it today, and read that there seem to be many bugs and many people reporting serious problems getting it started, or not getting it started at all.

I wouldn't buy it right now even if I originally had the intention.

A new mod changes the Wolfhounds for the Huskies. Nice! The wolfhounds for my taste were too much teddybear-like. Have a Huskie as companion now.
Old 10-08-12, 04:44 AM   #1952
Skybird
Soaring

So what is the verdict on Hearthfire? Nobody here got it so far? I read mixed feedback. Some people like it, others are very disappointed. Some say "bug" while others say "no bug but complex feature".

Is it worth it for you? If yes or no, why?
Old 10-08-12, 09:52 AM   #1953
Kapitän Schneider
Engineer

Downloads: 34

I have it, it does have it's bugs, but I think it's worth the money (just). But if you have already completed the game are just starting this DLC, it will be over quite quickly if you have enough gold. But starting the game from scratch would probably make this DLC more fufilling.

The victorious strategist only seeks battle, after the victory has been won.

Also known as Brandenburger and Zirran elsewhere.
Kapitän Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 10:32 AM   #1954
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Yeah, I got it. I haven't seen any bugs, but I'm not using companion mods. From what I've read over on the Nexus forums, the coding involved in making a follower your steward has caused follower mods like UFO to go wonky, ie you cannot dismiss followers, offer stewardship or see the options to hire staff or buy livestock.

It's akin to Oblivion's housing content, albeit with a This Old House spin. At level 10, you are elligible to buy a parcel of land in either Falkreath, the Pale or Hjaalmarch. You'll recieve direct communication via courier from the Jarl of Falkreath eventually, but you can just walk up to stewards and talk to them.

After you buy your plot (5000 gold), you can visit it. You have your benches to make the building and various components, as well as a chest with enough raw materials to make the basic home, albeit unfurnished. Yes, you have to make your furnishings too. Basic raw materials are clay, quarried stone and cut logs. Clay and stone can be quarried on site with a pickaxe, but the logs will have to come from the lumber mill. You can pay 200 gold for 20 logs, or if you have a good relationship with certain millers you can use the mill to cut the logs yourself, which is probably my favorite part of the expansion. I always liked playing with the sawmills, and now they actually do something.

You're going to also needs lots of iron ingots. I mean lots. They are used to make nails, hinges, iron fittings and locks (you need corundum too for that). House furnishings and decorations also require materials like glass and straw, which are purchased from any of the local goods merchants and trade caravans.

From your basic home, you can begin to expand your house into what is essentially the Skyrim take on an english country home. Building a main hall gives you a two-story addition with a dining hall and sleeping quarters for yourself and your steward if you appoint one. You can then remodel your starter house into a grand entrance. From there, you can build three additions to the main hall, with each wing having three choices, including a greenhouse (with bees if you have an apiary outside), a kitchen (complete with working oven), enchanter's tower, alchemy lab, library, family quarters (if you want to adopt), a trophy room, storage, etc. Externally, you can build a garden (you decide what you want to plant), chicken coop, cow pen, apiary, stable, smelter, blacksmith workbench and a salmon hatchery (Hjaalmarch only). You can also build a basement under the main hall with storage, a proper smithing setup and a coffin for vampires.

There are also new craftables and consumables such as milk, butter, baked goods and mudcrab legs. You can buy these at any inn or food merchant, but the various amenities around the house can make them for you.

Once a steward is appointed, you can talk to the steward about hiring staff for your home. You can hire a bard and a carriage driver. The bard will play any of the songs that you hear in the tavern, and on command. The carriage driver with take you to any city or town for free, not just the ones from the standard carriage driver list. So yes, you can tell him to take you to Riverwood and he will do it.

If you choose the living quarters addition to the west wing, you can adopt up to two children, so long as you have build both beds and chests for each of them. There are various street urchins around Skyrim that you can adopt, or you can go straight to Honorhall Orphanage. I could imagne, however, that it might be awkward for those who had completed the Dark Brotherhood initiation quest. "Hi, remember me? I'm the guy that burst in the door and murdered the lady that ran this place. Can I have a kid?"

You can give your adopted children various toys and dresses, as well and build them a child's practice dummy in the basement. There are some radient quests, some marked, some unmarked. So far, I've had a giant hanging around outside of my home and bandits have kidnapped my wife for ransom.

One thing I didn't like at all was this level 10 requirement. It is fine that there is a requirement that you make a name for yourself before the Jarls will offer things to do, but pick a different level. Dawnguard initiates at 10 also, so it gives the impression that everything goes nuts once that happens. I was doing a quest around Whiterun during which I hit the level. Upon returning to town, I have vampires attacking the place, the Orc Dawnguard guy trying to recruit me and some courier running up to me with a letter that says the Jarl of Falkreath wants to talk to me, and now. I'm all 'what the hell is this crap?'

Overall, I'd say that it's got a lot of bang for your buck given that it's just a house DLC. I haven't noticed the bugs, but I didn't notice any with Dawnguard either. I play on a high-end PC and use very few mods, so player experience will likely vary based on system and mod preference.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 11:02 AM   #1955
Skybird
Soaring

I am now level 41 currently, have made many friends, and use a mod to delay levelling up and allow others to level up higher. I am also so rich now that I stink of gold. And I love that beautiful Riverside Lodge. I mean I really love it, if it would be real and I could afford it, I would immediately buy it and withdraw from the outside world. Hearthfire worth it for me?

But it is only 5 bucks, I see, so... I possibly go for it at next opportunity, and start a new game.
Old 10-08-12, 11:05 AM   #1956
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I am now level 41 currently, have made many friends, and use a mod to delay levelling up and allow others to level up higher. I am also so rich now that I stink of gold. And I love that beautiful Riverside Lodge. I mean I really love it, if it would be real and I could afford it, I would immediately buy it and withdraw from the outside world. Hearthfire worth it for me?

But it is only 5 bucks, I see, so... I possibly go for it at next opportunity, and start a new game.
It is pretty cheap, but as I said, it is currently incompatible with the Ultimate Followers Overhaul, which if I remember is a must-have for you. Outside of that, I would reccomend a new game for it. Yes, you can buy all of the materials and have your steward furnish the home, but the real fun of the DLC is to build it yourself.
Old 10-08-12, 11:31 AM   #1957
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
"Hi, remember me? I'm the guy that burst in the door and murdered the lady that ran this place. Can I have a kid?"
You're doing it wrong.

It's possible to go in, hit your mark and leave without ever being spotted.

Contritium praecedit superbia.

Last edited by Arclight; 10-08-12 at 12:54 PM.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 11:47 AM   #1958
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
You're doing it wrong.

It's possible to go in, hit your mark and leave without ever being spotted.
I'm never spotted. Constance Michel freaks out whether you are spotted or not.
Old 10-08-12, 12:54 PM   #1959
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

True. Bit of a shame it triggers those events even if you went undetected, though it was oddly satisfying to hear the kids cheering her murder.

Initially I wasn't going to do that quest, on account of comitting a murder. Untill I visited the place and met the woman... Didn't seem like such a bad thing after that.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-12, 06:00 AM   #1960
Skybird
Soaring

It's decided, I'll get it. Opportunity is good since with a level 41 character and armour and weapons of legendary status the game offers no challenges and so a restart is in order anyway.

I read that many people have problems getting the quests from the Jarls that open the property sale for them, finally, and that when getting some letter inviting them to the Jarl, they indeed need to go to a very different city than what the letter states, since the sender offers them no options. Is there something I need to look out for?
Old 10-12-12, 04:02 AM   #1961
Skybird
Soaring

And there I sat recently, and had some thoughts and mental estimations on playing time spent for Skyrim in the past year that it is out now, almost. and I ended up concluding that there is probably no other game of the past 25 years that I have played so intensely and spent so many hours on and immersed so deep into, like this. Even Falcon 4, Oblivion, Speedball 2 and Sim City do not come close.

Which formally makes Skyrim probably the best game I have ever played. And I still feel the craving.

A true benchmark in PC game history, me thinks.

Proud Hearthfire owner since yesterday.
Old 10-15-12, 09:21 AM   #1962
Skybird
Soaring

Now having played excessively the new Hearthfire, I must say that I like it, much more than Dawnguard. But it gets some experience to avoid the problems people have reported.

After having gotten the letter by the Jarl of Falkenring (yeah, its all Germanised...), I found that he did not offer me any dialogue options pointing at the land to sell. I then was in Morthal and there solved one Jarl-quest and two population quests, earning me the land and a Huscarl. Not before having done that, the land in Falkenring was available via quests from the Jarl there.

I could run all my 30+ mods, none of them gave big troubles, only the AFT, Advanced Follwers Tweaks. Dogs as followers would not wait anymore when given the order, and could not be dismissed, also do not follow into cities (or was it like that before?) However when quick-travelling into cities, the dog was with me, but could not leave via the city gate into the wilderness: another quicktravel does the trick. But when Meeko finally got smashed by giants and arranged with smashed potatoes and vegetables on a plate, I was relieved. Human followers will wait and follow all AFT's orders, but initially will follow you after the command was given, you have to turn and face them to make them stop - and then they will stop indeed and not follow you anymore. Very easy-to solve minor niggle. All other mods work flawlessly: environment enhancement, gameplay balancing, places etc.

Hearthfire itself appeals to the collector and miniature railroad constructor. I like it, but I think they wasted potential cheap and easy there: it could have become better. What I do not like is that for the additional wings of the building, function and outside appearance are linked: the sleeping room for example has the balcony instead of a roof, you cannot have the armory with a roof as well. I would have preferred to have the ability to define the outside appearance of the wing and the inner function independently from each other. Next, three construction places is a bit lame, better would have been more, and also some in the more distant places that so far get widely ignored by house makers in Skyrim: the Reach, and in general the distant North-West. Cream on the cake would have been to chose construction place freely, as long as it is flat enough and big enough and has away finding route making it accessible.

Five bucks is okay. Compared to it, Dawnguard was overpriced.

I currently love the house in Morthal, the mood and visuals are great. I have a Huscarl patrolling around it, Ria as stewart, I'm married to Aela living there, I have two kids and a bard inside, and two followers, Mjoll and Jezara, as followers waiting inside or standing guard at the door. Horse, cow and chicken not counted. Originally, there even was Meeko waiting for me outside as well.

A home very much alive, and with a unique atmosphere in the swamps in heavy weathers.

Smithing Dawnguard armor is available via mod, I use these very much, plus chainmails and fur coats. These give a very nice and realistic looking of the actors. You do not need to buy Dawnguard for getting Dawnguard weapons and armor. And Jazera getting angry with two Dawnguard axes in both hands is really a sight you do not want to meet in battle! For some reason I like to travel in a group. I usually leave it at the entrance of dungeons, and do the inside job all alone. It'S so good to see the smile on a familiar face when getting out and cleaning the blood from my hands. It looks so - well, what does it look like? It looks like victory, I would say.
Old 10-15-12, 04:06 PM   #1963
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Is this Hearthfire a free DLC? Cause there has been a mod out on nexus site for a while now where you can build your own house.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 04:12 PM   #1964
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
Is this Hearthfire a free DLC?
No.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-12, 11:35 AM   #1965
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Well then here it is: been out since June, last update 7th Oct

Build Your Own Home by Supernastypants

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18480

BYOH video

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

Last edited by kiwi_2005; 10-16-12 at 11:45 AM.
kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote