SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-16-16, 12:03 AM   #1
applesthecat
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default LSH3 crashes upon loading to desktop every time.

I don't know if this should be here. I posted a similar thread in the MOD forum but maybe this is the better place for it.

I have windows 10 and just installed the LSH3 super mod and now it crashes each time it tries to start either a career or a single mission. It worked fine before the LSH3 mod installation. I followed the instructions closely. It is installed, I can pick my mission, but after the red bar goes right to the end, it pauses and then CTDs.

I have tried:

lowering resolution
enabling OS compatibility with older WIndows
playing with the video card settings
and a few other other things.

Does anybody know of any issues that cause this. Some files that may be a problem?

Thanks.
applesthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-16, 07:35 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi applesthecat
This is a classic Windows 10 incompatibility issue mentioned in my tutorials.
Change Windows 10 to run in compatibility mode Windows 7.
SH3.exe
SH3Commander
JSGME
Run all these as administrators.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-16, 04:53 PM   #3
applesthecat
Electrician's Mate

Okay thanks

I notice there is a folder on my destop with the exe commands and a few other things. Do I launch the game from there or from the Steam shortcut?

I also notice that the jsgme, commander, and SH3 exe files are also here in addition to being in my Silent Hunter 3 directory. I enabled the Windows 7 compatibility option in both places for all three. Is that correct?
Old 11-16-16, 05:00 PM   #4
applesthecat
Electrician's Mate

Well, I tried it that way, and it still stops working. When the game loads, it says game paused, and nothing can unpause it. Everything is frozen.

I tried starting it from Steam or from the LSH3 shortcut and it is the same for both ways. Even though I enabled the full screen option, I no longer have full screen. It is cut off at both sides.

I tried enabling the full screen mod in jsmge, but when I Tried to do that, I got a long message in German. It asked me Ja or Nein, so I choose Nein. I think it was telling me that if I enabled it, I would screw up the Main mod that was already enabled.

Last edited by applesthecat; 11-16-16 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 05:32 PM   #5
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Downloads: 103

you can try this:

http://imgur.com/a/I7Dw3 & http://imgur.com/a/SANvb

Last edited by ValoWay; 11-16-16 at 05:42 PM.
ValoWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-16, 05:47 PM   #6
applesthecat
Electrician's Mate

thanks, yes, I tried deleting the V15 file, but it made no difference. I had no saved games anyway. The instructions tells you to deavtivate the mods from the bottom to the top, but for me, the only mod I have is the main one. It won't allow any other mods to activate while the main mod is activated.
Old 11-16-16, 05:56 PM   #7
ValoWay
Lieutenant

So does the game crash when it is at the loading screen of a mission/career (like maybe shortly before the loading bar is full, at 100%?) or does it crash immediately once you hit the check mark button via commander?

Basically, does the game load up at all?

Edit:
The instructions say that you're supposed to install the mod on a fresh vanilla installation of SH3. You've said earlier that sh3 vanilla worked with win10? Depending on how far you went with your testing the LSH installation maybe failed because of that? Who knows

I would wipe everything sh3 related completely and try again, tbh. I was trying to squeeze a lot of mods into LSH which weren't made for it and even after getting rid of them it wouldn't stop the game from crashing.. I bet I installed sh3 and LSH like 10 times before I could play it the way I want it, haha..

Last edited by ValoWay; 11-16-16 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 06:39 PM   #8
applesthecat
Electrician's Mate

Thanks,

The game was crashing as it was about to start after the second screen, but for some reason it is working now.

I got the game to work. Why, I don't know.

However, the resolution is not full screen.
I enabled the full screen mod in jsgme, and I enabled the full screen option inside the game, and enabled full screen on my AMD settings, and neither makes the game go full screen.

The installation manual says the solution is to enable that mod, but it does not seem to work.

BTW, do you have to restart the computer every time you make a change to the jsmge settings?
Old 11-16-16, 07:47 PM   #9
THEBERBSTER

Hi atc
Quote:
I notice there is a folder on my destop with the exe commands and a few other things
I think these are just the exe shortcuts.
The game should always be launched from SH3Commander.
I have found that the shortcuts can cause a ctd usually before it gets to the main menu.
Pinning SH3Commander to the Taskbar for some reason overcomes this loading problem.

I assume that you have done the Steam conversion?

The widescreen resolution is 1920x1080
Check your resolution settings in the Control Panel.
AMD settings should be.
Image scaling > Enable GPU scaling
Maintain aspect ratio or Scale image to full panel size.

It is important to start the game with only the base mod and the gui widescreen mod.
Entering the Naval Academy builds the V15 save game folder.
It is not necessary to take an exam but if you do you will get an extra 1000 renown points.
No changes should be made in the office before your first test mission.

Quote:
I enabled the Windows 7 compatibility option in both places for all three. Is that correct?
No, only the SH3.exe
Peter
Old 11-16-16, 07:56 PM   #10
applesthecat
Electrician's Mate

HI Peter

My monitor runs on 1920 x 1080 and I have the GPU scaling on and the maintain aspect ratio on.

I started the game from the SH3commander exe and it still is not in full screen mode.

I restarted the computer. Do I have to restart the computer for any change to be in effect?

Yes, I downloaded the game from steam.

BTW, I notice there is also a jsgme program under the LSH3 2015 Commander directory. That one has no mods available. What does that one do?

I notice there are three widescreen mods in jsgme. I have the first one enabled.

Last edited by applesthecat; 11-16-16 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-17-16, 05:50 AM   #11
THEBERBSTER

Hi atc
Seems like a gpu problem.
I also run at 1920x1080 resolution without any problems with a Nvidia gpu.
I have also used Ahnenerbe's 1920x1080 wide screen mod as well as others in LSH3-2015 without any problems.
Quote:
I restarted the computer. Do I have to restart the computer for any change to be in effect?
Normally you Apply and Save or, Save keeps your changes.
Restarts should tell you although a reboot is never a bad thing to do for peace of mind
Quote:
Yes, I downloaded the game from steam.
Did you do the Steam conversion for LSH3?
Quote:
BTW, I notice there is also a jsgme program under the LSH3 2015 Commander directory.
No idea, LSH3 has an adapted version of SH3Commander where JSGME already contains the LSH3 mods so the one you are mentioning maybe the default version that comes with SH3Commander.
Quote:
I notice there are three widescreen mods in jsgme. I have the first one enabled.
This is the default version.
Used with the first mod these two are used to set up the V15 game folder.
You then just add the mods behind these two if keeping the default gui mod.
For other gui's mods, disable the default gui mod and just select the mods in the order showing.
Peter
Old 11-17-16, 07:03 AM   #12
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Sounds like he has issues with the game accepting changes made to the game like activating mods without the game recognizing it.

Here are 3 suggestions which in my opinion might help with this issue:

1) I copied my steam version straight to C:\SilentHunter3 out of the steamapps/common folder. Activating '_LSH3-2015___Patch_HSIE-V16B1' via JSGME will overwrite steam's copy protection so that you can use your copy wherever you want on your hard drive. Straight to C: is probably the least headache-inducing way when you wanna use mods, especially when we talk about classics like sh3.

2) Furthermore, when you (de-)activate mods via JSGME, turn mods on or off only one after the other instead of letting JSGME do multiple mods at once.

3)

3A) Make hidden folders visible.

How-to:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

3B) Go to: SilentHunter3\MODS

3C) Check the hidden folder called '!BACKUP'

I remember that I at one point had a similar issue with the game not recognizing changes I made to the game. After some testing I found out that some files inside the '!BACKUP' folder where preventing the changes I made to the game. After I deleted those files the game accepted what I was trying to change.

In your situation I would turn all active mods off via JSGME and check '!BACKUP' folder for any remaining files and delete them. Then activate the mods I want, one by one. If the game still doesn't accept '_LSH3-2015_GUI__WIDESCREEN' you have the option to delete all files inside '!BACKUP' folder.

Keep in mind, though, that you won't be able to deactivate mods via JSGME if you delete files inside '!BACKUP'! So only do that when you know that you won't need any further 'mod swapping' in JSGME.
Old 11-17-16, 06:31 PM   #13
applesthecat
Electrician's Mate

Okay thanks

I did what you suggested, I deleted all the files in Backup, and then went back to jsgme but when I loaded the widescreen mod, it greys out the supermod. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, now that I have put the Silent hunter 3 directory under c:, the game no longer opens. I get an error message, something about a d3Dx9_42 dll file missing.

Quote:
Did you do the Steam conversion for LSH3?
Hi Peter, what is a steam conversion?

Last edited by applesthecat; 11-17-16 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-17-16, 07:17 PM   #14
THEBERBSTER

Hi atc
That was what I was saying in your other post.
This looks like a Direct X problem from what you are now showing.

Quote:
Hi Peter, what is a steam conversion?
Steam conversion by our friend VW
Steam Conversion Installation Instructions By ValoWay
Peter
Old 11-17-16, 07:21 PM   #15
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Yes, it is perfectly normal when it greys out. That only means that the widescreen mod overwrote some files of '_LSH3-2015___FULLVERSION'.

When you say 'put'? Do you mean you simply moved the entire folder or that you reinstalled everything to C: cause after installing software on your hard disk you're usually not supposed to move the folder of your program.

If you have moved the folder instead of reinstalling sh3 and LSH your shortcuts on your desktop more than likely won't work anymore. Try to go into your silenthunter3 folder and start the game via 'SH3Cmdr.EXE' which you'll find inside your commander folder (C:\SilentHunter3\_LSH3-2015-COMMANDER).

Furthermore, it is possible that the 'V15' folder inside your documents folder may or may not cause crashes when you have moved the game folder instead of reinstalling sh3+ LSH.

So if the game still causes issues after you managed to start the game via 'SH3Cmdr.EXE' you probably wanna delete 'V15' and restart the game in order to let the game create a new 'V15' folder.
(Your career is inside the 'V15' folder but you said that you didn't start any careers anyway, right?)

Oh, and if it still doesn't work even via clicking on 'SH3Cmdr.EXE' I would strongly suggest to delete and reinstall everything! Software as old as sh3, especially when heavily modded can break easily even when you didn't do anything significant. For example, whenever you have finished a patrol, make sure that you exit the game and restart!

Last edited by ValoWay; 11-17-16 at 07:39 PM.