SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-17, 11:10 AM   #1
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 0
Default Whats the problem with new models?

Im computer illiterate but Im just wondering why exactly there is an issue in adding new models to the game.

Is it a manner of cannot...or will not?

I have a few theories but may be wrong on all of them:

POSSIBILITIES:

1. It is physically impossible to add models. The game can only have the models it has currently and not even the DEVS can add more.

2. It is possible to add, but for "reasons" the DEV has chosen not to allow this at this time. Presumably through encryption or other methods.

3. It is possible to add, but requires a very long process.....this is hopeful because it indicates that in the future new stuff may come to light after much toil and sweat on the modders behalf.

4...other reasons?

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 12:11 PM   #2
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

3D unit models are not moddable by user. I guess user generated 3D model may not have all the necessary data imbedded and may cause problem with the core game (damage location, smoke/fire placement, collision modeling, etc). They Dev will be adding more units in the future as they add other countries and a soviet campaign.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 12:47 PM   #3
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

First of all, there's no limit on number of models in the game engine (Unity).
Theoretically it is also possible within the engine to allow usage of external 3d models (look at Kerbal Space Program for example).

However...

Unity does not have a native support for external model so adding it requires some work from the developers (the aforementioned KSP uses their own custom build file system for that).

It is also possible to replace current models/textures with your own if you decompile the package files. I would strongly advice against that for a couple of reasons though.
Firstly it can mess up the game.
Secondly, the devs clearly showed their willingness to work with the community. So, even if they purposefully choose not to allow 3rd party models we should respect that and not mess up with files they don't want us to mess with. Perhaps it will be added in the future, but for now I suggest we stick with things we can mod.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 04:55 PM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
First of all, there's no limit on number of models in the game engine (Unity).
Theoretically it is also possible within the engine to allow usage of external 3d models (look at Kerbal Space Program for example).

However...

Unity does not have a native support for external model so adding it requires some work from the developers (the aforementioned KSP uses their own custom build file system for that).

It is also possible to replace current models/textures with your own if you decompile the package files. I would strongly advice against that for a couple of reasons though.
Firstly it can mess up the game.
Secondly, the devs clearly showed their willingness to work with the community. So, even if they purposefully choose not to allow 3rd party models we should respect that and not mess up with files they don't want us to mess with. Perhaps it will be added in the future, but for now I suggest we stick with things we can mod.
Nominated!
Old 07-03-17, 08:17 PM   #5
caine007
A-ganger

Downloads: 26

Generally the model files the content creators use and the model files the game uses are different for a number of reasons and they're converted and/or packed to save space when the game is built. The process is usually one way (not least of which because otherwise people can steal the base model files for their own use)

Adding new models without the complete unbuilt game files requires specific support within the game itself.
caine007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 08:23 PM   #6
zachanscom
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 2

but i want high resolution models of all the subs. the victor's sonary array pod isn't round enough
zachanscom is offline   Reply With Quote