SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-01-11, 09:39 AM   #76
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

This just requires a few lines in the randomized events folder (SH3CMRD\CFG\Randomized events)

"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
;This file contains details of events where randomisation of values are to occur.
;The section is the name of the file containing the event, including the full path
;from the "data\" level. Prefix each section name with #: to ensure that the name
;is unique. There are two types of randomisation available:
;1. A simple randomisation where a random value is selected from a set range. Usage:
; <SectionName>|<KeyName>=<Integer or Float+precision>|<Lower>|<Upper>|<Randomise mid patrol Y/N?> for text files OR
; <Offset value>=<Integer or Float+precision>|<Lower>|<Upper>|<Randomise mid patrol Y/N?> for binary files
;2. A "ChooseFrom" randomisation where one set of values are chosen from any number of sets
; Set ChooseFrom to equal the number of different sets of data, or a higher number if you want to simulate percentage chance
; Set RndMidPat to 1 if you want randomisation to occur mid-patrol, 0 if not
; Prefix each dataset with #_
;
;Include ApplyToPeriod=<Start date as YYYYMMDD>|<End date as YYYYMMDD> as the first
;entry in the section to set the date range for settings to apply.
;
;If you are adding more malfunction or sabotage effects, please prefix the section
;name with either Mal or Sub respectively so that SH3 Commander can include or
;exclude appropriately based on user selection under SH3 Options.
;
;This file or entries can be deleted if feature unwanted.
;
;==VERSION FOR GWX 3.0 ONLY=="

and not separate files for each event.

If one uses the random folder (SH3CMDR\Random) then separate files are needed, and the process is much more complicated.
Old 04-01-11, 09:45 AM   #77
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

It's just a matter of the correct folder structure, then you put different versions of the same mod in the proper place within that structure.

I *think* the way it works is, inside the Random folder, you make a folder named

This tells Commander to start randomizing the data inside that folder on any date from Aug 1 1939 onward, so the feature is always in effect when you load the game.

Inside that folder, you have folders named

and so on, one numbered folder (in sequence) for each different version of the mod or file. That's the part I'm not completely sure about, the names of those folders - will have to check when I get back to the other PC.

Inside each of those folders would go a copy of the mod's 'data' folder, but each 'data' folder would have a different version of the mod's file in it. Commander would then choose one version from all the available versions, at random, every time you load the game via Commander.

Since it's only one file and I don't think there's a risk of it conflicting with anything else you might have enabled elsewhere, I'd say it would be easier to do it all through Commander if you want to vary things up. As long as you always start the game through Commander, the mod would be enabled in one version or another.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 09:47 AM   #78
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

So we just need clarification on the folder names for the random feature. Once that is clarified I can release a new version of the mod with an addition for SH3Commander's random function.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 09:57 AM   #79
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Yep.

It would also be possible to set up a mod for Commander that could be enabled via JSGME and put everything in its proper place in the Commander folder automatically, just like you were modding the game folder. For this I would recommend a separate installation of JSGME for use with Commander. The advantage would be the ability to use JSGME to take everything back out easily if that becomes necessary or desirable for some reason.

Otherwise, I think it would just be a matter of creating the '19390801' folder and putting everything in it that needs to be there, and people could copy/paste it into Commander's Random directory.

For folks who are already using the Random directory for other stuff it would be a little more complicated, but if they are using it they probably know how it works and how to set up additional randomized data-sets along with what they already have.
Old 04-01-11, 02:01 PM   #80
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
This just requires a few lines in the randomized events folder (SH3CMRD\CFG\Randomized events)
Unfortunately I think this only works for .cfg files - there is no proper structure to make these small changes in a .dat file.

What we could do is set it up by date rather than random so the effect lessens during the course of the war. That could give you a good 45 mins head start and a 350m radius through the first part of the war reducing to 10 minutes and 50m later in the war based upon broad brush Asdic changes.
May 1942 - introduction of type 144
Apr 1943 - introduction of Q attachment to type 128
Sep 1943 - introduction of Q attachment to type 147

Easy enough to do: http://www.mediafire.com/?pscwga39htop0m0

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 02:29 PM   #81
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreford-Brown View Post
Unfortunately I think this only works for .cfg files - there is no proper structure to make these small changes in a .dat file.

What we could do is set it up by date rather than random so the effect lessens during the course of the war. That could give you a good 45 mins head start and a 350m radius through the first part of the war reducing to 10 minutes and 50m later in the war based upon broad brush Asdic changes.

But change the whole dat file via Commander? You have - for instance - three or four dat files, Commander load this file randomly with SH3 start.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 02:51 PM   #82
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
But change the whole dat file via Commander? You have - for instance - three or four dat files, Commander load this file randomly with SH3 start.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
Yes, it could be done either way. Depends on the way you want it added into your gameplay.

If you want to completely randomize the effect of the disturbance, use the Random feature to pick a different version of the file out of the mix and put it in the game every time you play.

If you want to change the effect of the disturbance to match up with improving Allied technology and ASW tactics over time, use the Date feature to have Commander enable one specific version of the file only during a particular date range as WB suggests. You'd just have to know which version of the file had which values so that they could be put into the Date folders in the right chronological order, which wouldn't be necessary if you wanted a random effect instead.
Old 04-01-11, 04:17 PM   #83
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Just take care with changing certain .dat files mid patrol, what can lead to a bad save game. Sh3cmdr uses the hex random way (posted above by irish1958) exactly to avoid this problem.

To use a completelly "new" .dat (in some cases) I guess that you only can then use Sh3cmdr to start the game when starting new patrol.

Well, anyway i'm not absolutelly sure.
Old 04-01-11, 06:54 PM   #84
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreford-Brown View Post

Interesting idea...

Taking a look now, thanks!
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 01:34 AM   #85
Robin40
Chief

Downloads: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
Just take care with changing certain .dat files mid patrol, what can lead to a bad save game. Sh3cmdr uses the hex random way (posted above by irish1958) exactly to avoid this problem.

To use a completelly "new" .dat (in some cases) I guess that you only can then use Sh3cmdr to start the game when starting new patrol.

Do you mean that the charge water disturbance mod has to be activated in port?

I had bad save game with this mod and after I disabled the mod no more bad save games
Robin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 06:29 AM   #86
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post

Randomising means that there could be a chance of CTD in any mid-patrol save as the new .dat may clash with the old value already held in your save game. By using dates there is still a chance of CTD, but only around the three date changes that I put in the mod rather than after every load. I have to say that I'm still not convinced that there is any risk of CTD as I'd be surprised if this particular value is saved in a savegame, but the only way to find out would be to test quite extensively.

I can't find the SH3 Commander file to adjust hex in a .dat file, only one that will change lines in a .cfg file ('Random' folder and the one that irish mentions above) . If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful...

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 08:32 AM   #87
slipper
Navy Dude

Downloads: 385

Hi all

Have been reading everyones replies, and there seems to be two ways to progress, either by date or a random Dat file is chosen each time SH3 Commander loads.
Personnaly i would prefer the random folder option.

There are still a few things i am not sure about though.

(1) If DarkWraiths Dat file is made specifically for this depthcharge effect, then will swapping a different version everytime SH3 Commander loads really cause a ctd? I thought that the ctd's were to do with swapping files that affected more than one event?

(2)Does this mean the random folder is never used because of ctd's. I have some of Wreford Browns SH3 commander mods that affect the Cfg file, and have had no problems.

(3) Is it possible to make a random version of this mod, using both methods, for us all to try to see if there is a problem?

(4) There has been a lot of discussion about how it may be done. But does anyone know for sure how to really implement it into SH3 Commander? If so could they please post instructions, as Darkwraith kindly agreed to make multiple versions of the dat file to try.

maybe we should just give it a go and see what happens?

Thanks all for the replies and constructive talk.

regards

slipper
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 08:35 AM   #88
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

someone setup the folder structure for SH3Commander and send it to me and I'll drop in the required .dat files. Then I can release it for testing I don't play SH3 anymore and don't remember SH3Commander so I have to rely on you all for this.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 11:30 AM   #89
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
someone setup the folder structure for SH3Commander and send it to me and I'll drop in the required .dat files. Then I can release it for testing I don't play SH3 anymore and don't remember SH3Commander so I have to rely on you all for this.

The 'Random' folder pictured above is the one in the SH3 Commander directory.

Inside that, create as many numbered folders as necessary for the different variations, starting with '0'... inside each numbered folder, create a 'Date' folder. Inside each 'Date' folder, create a folder named (in format YYYYMMDD) for the date you want the randomization to begin. Inside each of those folders, put your mod's 'data' folder.

Inside each 'data' folder would be a different variant of the mod's files. I assume this would be a 'Library' folder with one variation of the .dat file involved, but you get the general idea.

This would be the setup if the only thing you are randomizing with Commander is this one mod.
Old 04-02-11, 03:00 PM   #90
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post

The 'Random' folder pictured above is the one in the SH3 Commander directory.

Inside that, create as many numbered folders as necessary for the different variations, starting with '0'... inside each numbered folder, create a 'Date' folder. Inside each 'Date' folder, create a folder named (in format YYYYMMDD) for the date you want the randomization to begin. Inside each of those folders, put your mod's 'data' folder.

Inside each 'data' folder would be a different variant of the mod's files. I assume this would be a 'Library' folder with one variation of the .dat file involved, but you get the general idea.

This would be the setup if the only thing you are randomizing with Commander is this one mod.
I´ll make a test, too. Thanks, Frau Kaleun.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote