SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-06-19, 08:45 PM   #16
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

THE PROBLEM IS ALSO THE EQUAL PROTECTION OF THE LAW; SINCE YOU HAD OTHER POLICE HOLDING BACK AS WITH THE 'PRECEDENT AT COLUMBINE' THEY MUST REASONABLY BE CHARGED AT LEAST AT MISDEAMENOR (IF THERE'S A FELONY LEVEL THERE MUST BE A MISDEAMENOR AND INFRACTON LEVEL AS WELL) APPLICATIONS OF THE THE SO-CALLED LAW(S) WHICH IS DOUBTFUL AT BEST. MOREOVER THE MAN HAS BEEN PUBLICLY LAMBASTED BY HIS SUPERVISOR; THE PRESIDENT; THE GOVERNOR; AND OTHER OFFICIALS... WHERE THEN TO FIND A JURY OF HIS PEERS TO SIT IN JUDGEMENT AS IS HIS UNCONTESTABLE RIGHT AS A SOVEREIGN CITIZEN OF THE GOOD OL' USA WHO CAN HONESTLY CLAIM IN PRETRIAL JUROR SELECTION VOIR DIRE THEY ARE NOT PREJUDICED....
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINTON POST
Jeff Bell, president of the Broward Sheriff’s Office Deputies Association, wrote in an email that the union had “several concerns” with the charges, describing the neglect and culpable negligence counts as “a stretch at best.” Bell said he lacked enough details to comment on the perjury charge but added that he doubted the case would lead to a conviction...
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the law enforcement response to the shooting amid criticism of how multiple officers responded, and is looking at elements beyond Peterson’s actions, a spokesman said Tuesday.
A statewide commission investigating the shooting released a report assailing both the school securityand the law enforcement response. While Peterson’s actions have drawn widespread attention and derision, the public safety commission’s report described “several” Broward sheriff’s deputies taking their time to put on or remove gear “while shots were being fired,” which contradicts the widely accepted practice of rushing to confront active assailants. ALSO OTHER HEADS ARE BEGINNING TO ROLL:
In his executive order, GOVERNOR DeSantis highlighted these and other details in explaining why he made the unusual decision to dismiss an elected official, stating that (SHERIFF)Israel “egregiously failed” in his role as the top law enforcement officer in Broward.

“The neglect of duty and the incompetence that was connected to the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School has been well documented,” DeSantis said at a news conference, joined by relatives of some Parkland victims. “Suffice it to say that the massacre might never have happened had Broward had better leadership in the sheriff’s department.” While mass attacks are often followed by reviews that reveal missteps or ominous warning signs, the Parkland shooting was remarkable for the sheer breadth of red flags preceding the massacre. Nikolas Cruz, the 20-year-old who police say confessed to the shooting, had come to the attention of local, state and federal officialsagain and again. Some of the warnings — including those made to the FBI and the Broward Sheriff’s Office — were explicit in labeling Cruz as a threat to attack a school. In Florida on Friday, DeSantis offered additional criticism for the FBI, calling its handling of the issue “a disgrace.” Since the April 1999 Columbine school shooting in Colorado,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME/#5
SO HOW MANY OFFICERS WERE ARRESTED AT COLUMBINE FOR NOT CLOSING WITH SHOOTER? AS IN ANY ATTACK, TIME AND TERRAIN ARE THE KEY AND THE SHOOTER COUNTS ON A TIME ZONE FOR MAXIMUM DESTRUCTION; THE FIRST RESPONDING OFFICER, WHO HAS ELECTED TO BE IN THIS TRADE AND PROFESSION, THEREFORE BECOMES THE EXPENDIBLE OFFICER (NOT A REAL ISSUE FOR 68 YEAROLDS) IN CLOSING THE TIME-WINDOW IN SUCH CIRCUMSTANCES....IF HE CAN'T DO THAT HE NEEDS TO SEEK OTHER EMPLOYMENT...NO IMHO ABOUT IT
it has become common law enforcement practice for officers to pursue attackers and eliminate the threat. (IE CUT DOWN THE WINDOW OF TIME) But in Parkland, the commission said, several deputies were seen or described as taking too much time to put on their ballistic gear or preparing to go inside, “all while shots were being fired, or had been recently fired.” Others arrived on a nearby road, heard shots and remained there rather than going to find the shooter.
CHARGE ALL OR CHARGE NONE: THE DEFENSE RESTS.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-06-19 at 09:39 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-19, 08:49 PM   #17
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

This is such a hard topic. So I know what he’s going through. You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. We live in a country where if you do everything right, as a police officer, you can still be charged or told you do it wrong. With the Sue happy people we live with I could see police officers doing more and more less than ever. Do I agree that he shouldve done nothing… No. But unfortunately there’s too much to lose if you do something and you accidentally kill someone else or hurt someone else in this country.

If a police officer is meant to protect people, let him. People may get hurt people may even die. Don’t go after him/her, go after the family of the criminal that places your loved one in the bad situation.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-19, 05:49 AM   #18
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

I agree with you, Aktung. They should all be charged if the facts prove they acted contrary to what was expected of them or what they were ordered to do. I wasn't aware that there were others who held back as well. I keep asking myself if the Law enforcement personnel were ordered to hold back.

All good points as well, bstanko6. We have all heard these stories of school shootings too many times. I think the schools need to implement some common sense approaches with regards to school safety.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-19, 09:16 AM   #19
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
^ Sorry Rockstar, I don't see it. decisions far above his pay grade have nothing to do with this as far as I can tell. Law Officer motto, " to serve and protect ." Peterson served only his own interests that day and protected no one. I doubt his conscience, if he has one, will bother him. Peterson was being paid to protect those kids and did nothing.

To be fair, I can see your point Rockstar and Platapus to varying degrees. Rockstar had said that Peterson has been given a life sentence of regret with regards to his decision not to act. Well, the parents of the kids who were killed have been given a life sentence as well. They will forever grieve and wonder if their kid could have been saved if a coward of a police officer had done what he was well paid to do. With June here, kids the world over are graduating from High School and looking foward to College, Military Service or life in general. These kids that were killed will never see that.

You had mentioned perjury, Platapus so I'm left to wonder what he lied to cover up. The D.A's office apparently feel that charges are justified. As you pointed out, Platapus, we don't know all the facts. I'm sure they will come out when Peterson has his day in court.

This is no doubt a contentious issue with varying opinions. Apparently, 2 judges are also taking opposing viewpoints as well from the links I provided. That being said, i'm not surprised there are differing opinions here as well.

One thing we can all agree on is a number of kids senselessly and tragically lost their lives. I know we are all sorry about that.

Commander I understand where you're coming from and its sad that so many died. I can only surmise that his lack of action is what caused more deaths. As far I know he could've just been added to the body count upon entry. It's well known some people have the 'right stuff' others just think they do. He will live with that shame for the rest of his life. If on the other hand he lied about something trying to hide cowardice then I reckon he'll have to pay the price for his lie.

Still, grieving parents ought not to place blame for their child's murder on the cops decision not too engage. Rather on the decision of the murderer who pulled the trigger. The thought of this man sharing a cell with the murderer is abhorrent.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-07-19 at 06:48 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-19, 04:43 PM   #20
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

The news reporting has been sparse on details concerning the perjury charge. I have not been able to access the actual indictment documents which would spell out exactly what laws and the specific charges are.
Old 06-07-19, 04:57 PM   #21
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

^ I understand a bit what you are saying Rockstar. With more details not forthcoming, all we can do is assume what the facts are. We will all have to wait and see what comes out of the process.

With regards to grieving parents not blaming officers who didn't go in, who should they blame ? If law enforcement personnel had acted sooner, some of those kids might still be alive. That is of course, conjecture. Lets not forget, that is what these officers are paid handsomely for.

It all comes down to if they were following orders by holding back. If that's the case, the blame is with those decision makers. If you have officers too timid to do their jobs, why have them in the first place ?

The shooter cruz is another matter.
Old 06-07-19, 06:54 PM   #22
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

As far as the officer is concerned or anyone for that matter. Nobody ever gets paid to sacrifice their own life for another. That's a personal decision, you either have what it takes, or you dont.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-07-19 at 08:30 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-19, 09:31 PM   #23
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

^ I never said the police officers were paid to give up their lives or sacrifice their lives for another. They were being paid to stop the commission of a crime which the police knew full well was in progress. In this case, a deadly rampage. When you put on a uniform, you should understand you are there to " serve and protect ." You may even be called upon to use deadly force. If someone can't handle or understand that, they have no business being a police officer.