SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-14-08, 02:48 AM   #16
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

I just used Hipper's Scouting force to annihilate one of the British cruiser squadrons guarding the entrance to the channel (Let them get in close during the night, then mowed them down with the Battlecruisers and DDs)

Planning to send the Hochseeflotte down to the channel soon and try to disrupt the troop shipments, maybe get the Brits to send a sizable force to oppose me
Old 12-14-08, 04:45 AM   #17
TheSatyr
Captain

Downloads: 0

Only problem I have with this game is too many magazine explosions...and on ships it shouldn't really happen to. Baden class,Revenge class Queen Elizabeth class and Iron Duke class to name a few. I can understand it if a Brit BC goes boom once in a while but I just had a random battle where 3 of my 4 British BBs all had magazine explosions. I really hope they tone this down cause right now it's throwing realism right out the window.
TheSatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 04:49 AM   #18
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSatyr
Only problem I have with this game is too many magazine explosions...and on ships it shouldn't really happen to. Baden class,Revenge class Queen Elizabeth class and Iron Duke class to name a few. I can understand it if a Brit BC goes boom once in a while but I just had a random battle where 3 of my 4 British BBs all had magazine explosions. I really hope they tone this down cause right now it's throwing realism right out the window.
Did you turn on the "Advanced Critical Hits (Fragile AP Shells)" option in the realism menu? I'm not sure if it effects it much though

I have yet to suffer a single magazine explosion, every ship I saw went into the drain the hard way
Old 12-14-08, 05:28 AM   #19
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSatyr
SES spells out their damage control reasoning here:
http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=80732

It doesn't seem unreasonable at all to me. Try and stay at range (10K+) when engaging as the Brits, or you risk magazines blowing up with a rather alarming regularity when you come under sustained (and more accurate) Hun fire.

PD

Last edited by PeriscopeDepth; 12-14-08 at 05:32 AM.
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 05:30 AM   #20
AJ!
Commodore

Downloads: 0

"Like a fine painting from the world’s leading military artists, our newest game JUTLAND delivers like no other. The graphic quality of the ships and the ocean explode onto the screen in unprecedented grandeur. Every ship in JUTLAND has been historically researched , carefully crafted and painstakingly rendered in exquisite detail. Here you will experience historical simulations in a lush, rich, real-time 3D game environment unparalleled in today's gaming"

They sure dont hold back on promoting themselves. The graphics would have looked out of date 6 years ago. theres nothing lush or rich about them whatsoever :rotfl:

For anyone whos played Jutland are the controls any better then DG?
Old 12-14-08, 05:34 AM   #21
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Well, Jutland looks a lot better than DG, and it's almost certainly the best looking naval simulation/strategy game out there (I mean, the last game was...Great Naval Battles 5?)

Anyway, the controls are very similar to DG's with the crazy pop-up menus, don't remember enough from DG about the camera controls and such so I can't tell you if it's different
Old 12-14-08, 05:37 AM   #22
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ!
"Like a fine painting from the world’s leading military artists, our newest game JUTLAND delivers like no other. The graphic quality of the ships and the ocean explode onto the screen in unprecedented grandeur. Every ship in JUTLAND has been historically researched , carefully crafted and painstakingly rendered in exquisite detail. Here you will experience historical simulations in a lush, rich, real-time 3D game environment unparalleled in today's gaming"

They sure dont hold back on promoting themselves. The graphics would have looked out of date 6 years ago. theres nothing lush or rich about them whatsoever :rotfl:
As opposed to all those other grand naval strategy titles out there? It's not cutting edge, but night battles are especially pretty with star shells and muzzle flash IMO.

Quote:
For anyone whos played Jutland are the controls any better then DG?
The camera controls I assume you mean? Pretty much the same. You use the keyboard to move the camera up down, forward, rotate, etc. You can use your mouse, but I really prefer the keyboard.

PD
Old 12-14-08, 07:36 AM   #23
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriscopeDepth
It doesn't seem unreasonable at all to me. Try and stay at range (10K+) when engaging as the Brits, or you risk magazines blowing up with a rather alarming regularity when you come under sustained (and more accurate) Hun fire.

PD
Wouldn't it be more reasonable to try to either stay out of the German's guns if you have the range advantage, or try to close the range as quickly as possible so that the shells will hit your belt and therefore not be able to pierce the turrets and detonate your magazine?

Last edited by Raptor1; 12-14-08 at 07:40 AM.
Raptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 02:44 PM   #24
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1
Wouldn't it be more reasonable to try to either stay out of the German's guns if you have the range advantage,
I'm not sure what the max range of the big Brit guns is. Perhaps I'm understating the solution, but as someone on the gamesquad forums said: "17K is your friend," when playing the Brits.

Quote:
or try to close the range as quickly as possible so that the shells will hit your belt and therefore not be able to pierce the turrets and detonate your magazine?
I've never heard that before, but it doesn't make sense to me. Turrets can still elevate, there is no guarantee the shells will be hitting your belt every time. There is also no guarantee they will be hitting/stopped by your belt. Below the waterline shell penetrations can and do happen in Jutland.

PD
Old 12-14-08, 03:02 PM   #25
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Quote:
Quote:
Wouldn't it be more reasonable to try to either stay out of the German's guns if you have the range advantage,
I'm not sure what the max range of the big Brit guns is. Perhaps I'm understating the solution, but as someone on the gamesquad forums said: "17K is your friend," when playing the Brits.
Well, the German guns typically have a greater range than British guns due to the use of lighter shells and higher muzzle velocity, but the German ships typically have smaller guns compared to the British ships (11" and 12" vs. 13.5" and 15"), so it would all depend on the ships involved

Quote:
Quote:
or try to close the range as quickly as possible so that the shells will hit your belt and therefore not be able to pierce the turrets and detonate your magazine?
I've never heard that before, but it doesn't make sense to me. Turrets can still elevate, there is no guarantee the shells will be hitting your belt every time. There is also no guarantee they will be hitting/stopped by your belt. Below the waterline shell penetrations can and do happen in Jutland.

PD
Your belt is much better armored than your deck, so a shell has less chances of penetrating the belt than the deck (And I don't know if a shell hitting the belt could even set off a magazine explosion)

Of course you're running the risk of hits below the waterline, but it seems to me that minimizing the chances of deck hits on the turrets will generally result in less magazine explosions

Last edited by Raptor1; 12-14-08 at 03:04 PM.
Raptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 03:09 PM   #26
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Quote:
You're belt is much better armored than your deck, so a shell has less chances of penetrating the belt (And I don't know if a shell hitting the belt could even set off a magazine explosion)
I understand that, but magazine explosions are caused by the turret being penetrated. Turrets are pretty well armored, no? I would think the closer you are the shells coming at you will have a higher velocity, and a better chance of penetrating the turret armor. There is no guarantee that just because you are closer the shells simply aren't going to hit the turret due to a flatter trajectory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullethead
Therefore, in the game, the to cause an ACH explosion, the shell must not only hit the turret (which includes the barbette and magazine) but also penetrate it. Only then does the 20% chance of explosion come into play.
PD
Old 12-15-08, 02:48 PM   #27
CaptHawkeye
Weps

Downloads: 1

Quote:
As I see it, that's the problem with using the HSF too aggressively. The Brits get more reinforcements while you have to make do with what you have. Eventually, once you sacrifice all your pawns (DDs) you will have to sacrifice some BBs/BCs. And you can't afford to lose any of those without being sure of striking a major blow to the British. Have you had any luck with your U-Boats? I plan to start an HSF campaign soon, and will probably do an AAR here when I do. Let us (me) know how your's is going so I may learn from your mistakes.

PD
Yeah, I tried to pursue a "decisive battle" recently and pretty much lost. Using the Zepps I snuck behind Beatty's fleet with the Scouting Force and HSF. Once Jellicoe left him and turned north to Scapa I tried to corner Beatty at Cromarty, but he rushed my line with his light ships and ruined pretty much all of the Scout's DDs and CLs. I managed to get the BCs out in time but Beatty cornered them the next night and sank Moltke. The last 3 escaped and the HSF couldn't pursue Beatty for lack of coal and speed. The Scouting Force is all of 5 ships now. A few DDs, Seydlitz, Vonn, and Lutz. The HSF is intact, but now I have no way to bait or flank any large British Fleet. I haven't lost yet, but i'm on the road to it.

I've opted to use the U-boats and Merchant Raiders more than ever now. It seems to work, i've busted more than 20 merchant ships in 1 month while the allies just got 3. Random minelaying is also messing with the RN's light forces.

Last edited by CaptHawkeye; 12-15-08 at 02:50 PM.
CaptHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-08, 02:01 AM   #28
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHawkeye
Quote:
As I see it, that's the problem with using the HSF too aggressively. The Brits get more reinforcements while you have to make do with what you have. Eventually, once you sacrifice all your pawns (DDs) you will have to sacrifice some BBs/BCs. And you can't afford to lose any of those without being sure of striking a major blow to the British. Have you had any luck with your U-Boats? I plan to start an HSF campaign soon, and will probably do an AAR here when I do. Let us (me) know how your's is going so I may learn from your mistakes.

PD
Yeah, I tried to pursue a "decisive battle" recently and pretty much lost. Using the Zepps I snuck behind Beatty's fleet with the Scouting Force and HSF. Once Jellicoe left him and turned north to Scapa I tried to corner Beatty at Cromarty, but he rushed my line with his light ships and ruined pretty much all of the Scout's DDs and CLs. I managed to get the BCs out in time but Beatty cornered them the next night and sank Moltke. The last 3 escaped and the HSF couldn't pursue Beatty for lack of coal and speed. The Scouting Force is all of 5 ships now. A few DDs, Seydlitz, Vonn, and Lutz. The HSF is intact, but now I have no way to bait or flank any large British Fleet. I haven't lost yet, but i'm on the road to it.

I've opted to use the U-boats and Merchant Raiders more than ever now. It seems to work, i've busted more than 20 merchant ships in 1 month while the allies just got 3. Random minelaying is also messing with the RN's light forces.
Starving your enemy is important in the campaign. But unlike RJW, killing major naval combatants is a major part of winning the campaign in Jutland. I'm waiting for the next patch to start my HSF campaign (2-3 days at most I think), but my strategy is something like this:
- Attrit the Grand Fleet through U-Boat traps and mine warfare. The bait will be sending Hipper's forces out on bombardment missions. I figure I will spend half of the year long campaign trying to attrit the Entente forces before I start seeking a big battle.
- Snap up as many Brit merchants as possible through U-Boats and fast surface raiders.

PD
Old 12-16-08, 06:03 AM   #29
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Well, after a few sorties with the HSF I managed to annihilate much of the Channel defenses, including the French squadron and a fleet of monitors that was unlucky enough to stumble into the way, still no contact with the Grand Fleet though

I haven't used Zeppelins, Submarines or Raiders extensively yet, now that the Channel is more vulnerable I will probably mine it like crazy and get to work on them merchants

BTW, has anyone tried the multiplayer yet?
Old 12-16-08, 08:25 AM   #30
Janus
XO

Downloads: 25

Is there any contact (email) adress for SES? The contacts page over at www.stormeaglestudios.com only gives the postal adress which is of no help. I want to tell SES why I will not buy their game and don't want to register at the gamesquad forums where all their staff seems to hang out regularly.
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote