SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-09, 02:21 AM   #271
rubenandthejets
中国水兵

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Tried that but with a: my technological incompetence and b: trying to read the Japanese instructions on the image hosting website I failed miserably

The formal and informal system is in wikipaedia under "japanese numerals". Is that helpful?
rubenandthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 03:11 AM   #272
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenandthejets
Tried that but with a: my technological incompetence and b: trying to read the Japanese instructions on the image hosting website I failed miserably

The formal and informal system is in wikipaedia under "japanese numerals". Is that helpful?
The problem with that is, I don't have a Japanese font on my computer so I can't see them.
I found the numbers here, and as you can see there are several characters to each number.

http://sp.cis.iwate-u.ac.jp/sp/lessonj/doc/numbers.html

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 06:30 AM   #273
Te Kaha
Navy Dude

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 2

I have a Japanese font for you, if needed pm me with your e-mail adress.
Te Kaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 09:59 PM   #274
Anton88
Helmsman

Downloads: 121
Default Japanese voices for IJN Sub mod - i'll take care .. ;)

Guys, I'm new here, but I might be able to lend a hand.
I have a huge collection of japanese war films, and I will do the Crew voices part for this great mod you have all worked hard for.. They will turn out superb I promiss.

I have actually done some speech for the pilots in Il-2 Forgotten Battles, Romanian campaign.. (so you can actually hear my voice if you fly with a bunch of romanian airplanes in formation.. i'm in there too .. lol.. ) but lets stick to this game..
(By the way, ..Romania is a nice country with beautyfull dark haired babes, and genious computer programmers... like those who have created Silent hunter III and IV.. hope you guys appreciate where i'm from.. tough i'm no computer geek ..

I wanted to show everyone this new Japanese movie that came out, about the Kaitens.. the suicide human torpedoes.. Its fabulous.. and its so new.. that there are only 2 vidoes of it on youtube.. here is one of them: enjoy

出口のない海 [Deguchi No Nai Umi] (Sea Without Exit)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=hTR-_ouMq-M

I will take care of the crew voices.. and sound effects.. I do great work..
All I ask in return is that some of you work on the Japanese faces of the crew, and the IJN Uniforms.. we got to make this realisitc.. there is no outher japanse sub sim out there.
** when this is all done and ready.. could we put it all in an " .exe file ", just like Gray Wolves 3.0 mod ...etc (an executable mod), would it work?

I wish you all great success,.. I will help with whatever I can.. and It will turn out great

cheers
Anton88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 10:06 PM   #275
Anton88
Helmsman

..and I have all the sounds for the Kaiten torpedo I need, including the shouting, the orders, and the sound of one being launched.. the movie above pretty much shows it..

Banzaii!!

PS: <= ps: how do I change this little ugly fat boy avatar ??? :S
Old 01-30-09, 10:11 PM   #276
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145
Default avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton88
..and I have all the sounds for the Kaiten torpedo I need, including the shouting, the orders, and the sound of one being launched.. the movie above pretty much shows it..

Banzaii!!

PS: <= ps: how do I change this little ugly fat boy avatar ??? :S
by posting my friend, welcome, and we hope to enjoy your work soon.

buy maybe Neal will do something for you when the time is right... or who does asign permanent avatars I wonder????

edit: change your location from home to Romania... be proud man, I love being from Costa Rica

cheers lad.

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 03:38 AM   #277
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Peabody and K,
I can get pics of IJN sub interiors i think, as i have contact with former USN head of Pac Sub fleet after WWII and he was at the scuttling of the IJN subs, and has described it to me.

some data, i saw you may not be able to make the Aichi M6A1 Seiran Combo (they used or planned to use the Aichi for bombing) work but here are the known recon missions carried out by air assets carried by IJN subs ...

IJN Submarine based air recon missions

25-6 May 1942 1-9 Kiska and Amchitka, Aleutian Islands
27 May 1942 I-19 Bogosolof, Aleutian Islands
27 may 1942 I-25 Kodiak, Alaska
27 May 1942 I-21 Sydney, Australia
30 May-1 June 1942 I-10 Diego Suarez, Madagascar
20 August 1942 I 29 Seychelles Islands, NE of Madagascar
9 September 1942 I-25 Oregon, US
29 September 1942 I-25 Oregon, US
2 October 1942 I-21 Espiritu Santu, New Hebrides
13 October 1942 I-7 Espiritu Santo, New Hebridies
19 October 1942 I-19 Noumea, New Caledonia
30 October 1942 I-9 Noumea, New Caldeonia
2 November 1942 I-8 Efate Island, New Hebrides
4 November 1942 I-31 Suva Bay, Fiji
4 November 1942 I-9 NOumea, New Caldonia
11 November, 1042 I-7 Vanikoro Island, Solomon Islands
11 November 1942 I-21 Noumea, New Caldenia
11 November 1942 I-9 Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides

and midget subs and their losses:

Midget submarines Ko kyoteki or Koryu were lost chiefly in the following five operatoins< four in which the subs were launched from parent submarines and one in the Philipines, when shore bases were used..
Pearl Harbor, Before Dawn on 7 December, 1941 Hawaiian time, five midget submaries were launched to attack Pearl Harbor. All fivee were lost including one inside the harbor.
Sydney: During the afternoon of 31 May, 1942, three midget submarines were launched to attack Sydney (Jackson) Harbor. All three were lost, two got inside the harbor and the other becasme caught in the anti torpedo net near the harbor entrance.
Diego Suarez, Madagascar During the Evening of 30 May 1942, two midget submarines were launched. Both were lost inside the harbor.
Guadalcanal: In November 1943, eight midget submaries were transported to the base on Shortland Island, off the south end of Bougainville. From there, they were carried by parent submarines and launched near enemy landing sites on Guadalcanal. By the end of December, three of the midget submarines were lost in ASW action, three were lost by accidents and two remained inactive.
Philipppine Islands: In the fall of 1944, ten midget submaries were sent to shore bases in the central and souther Philippines. All small craft were lost in combat, accidentally and by scuttling when US forces inva

I have found data on the fate of all the IJN subs and am transcribing it now. This will give you unit numbers and fates for your campaign. I will be in touch for more data and am working on getting photos now of sub interiors. I have seen some already just need to get them. Sorry to have been out of touch.

You will find detailed data on all classes of IJN subs here:

http://www.combinedfleet.com/ss.htm

the US Naval Historical Center may have some useful Pics,

I-58

and the WWII data base
http://ww2db.com/ship_spec.php?ship_id=452

Last edited by Admiral Von Gerlach; 01-31-09 at 04:17 AM.
Admiral Von Gerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 09:58 AM   #278
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach
Peabody and K,
I can get pics of IJN sub interiors i think, as i have contact with former USN head of Pac Sub fleet after WWII and he was at the scuttling of the IJN subs, and has described it to me.
Does he have any good interior pictures ? I mean the ones seen in the 1946 USN mission to japan would be a start, the pdf version is too low resolution for any kind of work.

But don't get your hopes too high : just look at Tomi's work on the torpedo room and you'll understand....

keltos

ps here's a longer (8 ') trailer for the kaiten movie (english subtitles):

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=9bq9_0...eature=related

Last edited by keltos01; 01-31-09 at 10:24 AM.
keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 11:45 AM   #279
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Yes i hope he may, i am going to call him today and ask. I have a larger rez pic from that torp room on that sub i posted, which was the one that sank the Indianapolis (CA-35) in my files "somewhere" i am diving for it too

will be back in touch.
Old 01-31-09, 03:45 PM   #280
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
I will take care of the crew voices.. and sound effects.. I do great work..
All I ask in return is that some of you work on the Japanese faces of the crew, and the IJN Uniforms.. we got to make this realisitc.. there is no outher japanse sub sim out there.
** when this is all done and ready.. could we put it all in an " .exe file ", just like Gray Wolves 3.0 mod ...etc (an executable mod), would it work?

I wish you all great success,.. I will help with whatever I can.. and It will turn out great

cheers
Hi Anton88, welcome. Appreciate your offer to help. We are not sure where we are going with the voices. We were trying to find someone (through some contacts) that actually speaks Japanese. We were trying to stay away from movies for a few reasons.
1 They are copyrighted.
2. They could be saying "Bring me a cup of coffee", I wouldn't know.
3. There is usually background noise and music that would mess it up.

But we may end up going that way. If you want to try a few examples and post them, we would certainly listen and see what you have. I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate your offer, I do. We were just trying to go in a different direction, but if you want to take the time for some examples, we will take the time to listen to them. But I don't want you to do a lot of work for nothing. We have to try to keep the voice files as small as possible so it doesn't get too big.

As for the "All I ask in return" is faces and uniforms, it is on the list but we have a lot of work to do and with Real Life, we are behind schedule from where we want to be. And it is a big task especially the faces. So if setting conditions that we must do them in order for your help then thank you but NO. We are beginners at this and are doing the best we can with the knowledge we have.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 01-31-09, 06:13 PM   #281
Anton88
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody
As for the "All I ask in return" is faces and uniforms, it is on the list but we have a lot of work to do and with Real Life, we are behind schedule from where we want to be. And it is a big task especially the faces. So if setting conditions that we must do them in order for your help then thank you but NO. We are beginners at this and are doing the best we can with the knowledge we have.

Peabody

Its not a condition.. its just something that I'd really hoped for.. Having crew with German uniforms and faces does not make it authentic.
As for the Japanese voices, I see the point you are trying to make. The thing is, we got all we need.. We do have Japanese Submarine movies out there, and with the exact phrases/orders/shouting we need. As for the copyright, I don't think its gonna be a big deal to to this. (Personally the producers would be happy to see this, .. you know the Japanese like to glorify their war heroes in movies, alot more then in the west). I don't think they would object to have their actor's voices in a submarine game.
-- Look at those that made the mod for Silent Hunter III (Gray wolves..)... they used the speech from Das Boot.. (like Alllarrrrrrrrmmmm!!... schnell, schnell..etc)
And the German marches from ww2, and the Tipperrary song... I would not worry so much about copy right...
Besides, we are not making profit from this.. none of us.
I think its more realistic to have the sounds from the movie, then have a person talk.. and all my films have Subtitles, so I know what they are saying.
Another thing I was gonna suggest... you might know the Japanese faces from Battlefield 1942.. (everyone has played this game at one time or another)..
you think those faces might help us in any way in modelling the crew? Your're the expert in animation,.. not me

-peace-
Old 01-31-09, 06:49 PM   #282
Anton88
Helmsman

Hi,

I think that looks like Doenitz's signature, but it should be in fact Yamamoto's signature, or that of Hiroyasu Fushimi (or other commanders of IJN). If you can find out the equivalent of Admiral Doenitz in the Japanese Navy, (the submarine chief) I buy you a drink.. i dont know who he is

Yamamoto ~ 山本 Hiroyasu Fushimi ~ 伏見博康

Old 01-31-09, 08:47 PM   #283
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Hi,

I think that looks like Doenitz's signature, but it should be in fact Yamamoto's signature, or that of Hiroyasu Fushimi (or other commanders of IJN). If you can find out the equivalent of Admiral Doenitz in the Japanese Navy, (the submarine chief) I buy you a drink.. i dont know who he is

Yamamoto ~ 山本 Hiroyasu Fushimi ~ 伏見博康

That is a picture before the Signature was changed to a Japanese signature (which is just a Japanese character, but Wiki said it was a signature.) But Keltos just got his hands on a document where we may get a better signature. That was at the very beginning of the project, we did not have much done at all at that point.

And no I don't know Battlefield, I only play two games, SH4 and Falcon. So I don't know anything about it.

And as for an expert in animation, I have never done animation. I have never done any modding until I started this, so I learn as I go that is why it is taken longer than it should and why I don't want to hold the project up for faces and uniforms. I wanted at least a Beta release a while ago, but it didn't work out. I am not saying that once we release it we will never make any more improvements, we definately will improve as we find time and learn how.

Peabody

Old 01-31-09, 09:11 PM   #284
Anton88
Helmsman

If I am moderately satisfied with how the sound files turn out, I will send you many samples. If I am extreamly satisfied, and they turned out beyond my expectations, and they have been tested in-game and work like a dream.. I will not send anyone samples, but will send the final product shortly before you guys release the beta version. - surprise -

as for faces.. I got a better source.. Call of duty - total war (Pacific campaign),
has ultra realistic graphics and japanese faces, and uniforms. I will post later some screenshots.. and after that, we'll need an 'expert' that could model the crew from these..

Old 01-31-09, 09:23 PM   #285
peabody
Admiral

Will there be anything else sir?

Peabody