Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-19-18, 08:16 AM   #16
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg322 View Post
Really ??? where do you live in the UK ? Not Exactly a cold snap last year or have you forgot ? Amber Snow Warnings ( Stay at Home ) Remember the " BEAST FROM THE EAST"

Beast from the east nothing more than a minor cold snap for a few days, I went in to work when it hit and the bus I was on got the recall back to base because of soft snow!

Winter must mean month after month of ice and snow any thing less is a poor excuse.

Try being down here in the South during summer and this year has been bloody hot for months! Getting back to winter I recall as a kid we got snow well above the knee and now just above the foot that tells me snow today is not as deep thanks to global warming.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-18, 09:39 PM   #17
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
Neal getting snow in Texas last time i was there in 2013 i was told it hadnt snowed for about 17 years !

As for Canada well its pretty cold in winter with the snow but they are a hardy people

As for us brits we see three snow flakes and have to stock pile for 6 months stop all trains planes not to mention let loose every BMW to the road to crash in the annual cull.
Are you sure you don't live in Kentucky?
A cousin of mine just moved from Florida to Chicago for a job. He posted they have a blizzard warning. Yes, I'm poking fun at him.
Old 11-25-18, 11:12 PM   #18
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

This was up in Maine Saturday

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-18, 12:44 PM   #19
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Living at the point where a big desert meets the mountains, our recent weather has been about average. After a long war autumn it suddenly snowed Saturday, but now it's all sunny and warm (sort-of) again.
Old 11-26-18, 02:57 PM   #20
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

I think I'll winter here (someday)

Santorini, Greece - Most Beautiful Spots

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-18, 09:06 AM   #21
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ That is on our list of six possible destinations for next years holiday.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-18, 10:15 PM   #22
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The Geordie Temperature Scale

10 degrees - Southerners turn on the heating; Geordies plant gardens.
4 degrees - Southerners shiver uncontrollably; Geordies sunbathe.
1 degree - Southern cars won't start; Geordies drive their cars with the window down.
-6 degrees - Southerners wear coats, gloves and wool hats; Geordie men throw on a t-shirt and women wear mini-skirts instead of bikinis.
-10 degrees - Southern landlords turn up the heating; Geordies have the last BBQ before it gets cold.
-17 degrees - Southerners begin to evacuate; Geordies go swimming in the North Sea.
-25 degrees - Southerners cease to exist; Geordies throw on a lightweight jacket.
-60 degrees - Polar bears wonder if its worth it; Geordie boy scouts start wearing long trousers.
-75 degrees - Santa Claus abandons the North Pole; Geordies put on their long johns.
-113 degrees - Alcohol freezes; Geordies become frustrated because the pubs are shut.
-182 degrees - Microbial life starts to disappear; the cows on the Town Moor complain of farmers with cold hands.
-273 degrees - All atomic motion stops; Geordies start to stamp on the ground and blow on their hands.
Pictures or it didn't happen.
Old 11-28-18, 03:10 AM   #23
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon14

^ Niki, they stole this from the Finns. Geordies prefer warm showers

^^ Regarding the picture and Santorini.. what can i say. Have been there several times, first time with a geological team along with students from Athens and archeologists. Later we had a lot of fun conducting guided tours about geology and the human settlements of the bronze age, and before. Excavations and history are closely related to the geology of said island.

When you rent a boat (you can see the strata of the several eruptions better from a distance), you can see sharks circling a hundred meters beneath you, and dolphins. Without too much wind the water is chrystal clear, in the crater area. Knowing a bit of its past, and seeing the sun set is pure magic.
It is a rather small island, you can see it all in a week. You can take the way up from the old harbour with the help of a donkey, bathe near the new central volcano in warm if sulphuric seawater, or just enjoy the (black) beach at the south-east coast. Whatever, be sure to visit the archeological site of Akrotiri!
While the island of Crete was the mainland of the Minoans, their heart was Thera, now "Santorini". During excavations at Akrotiri (former port of back-then-Thera) they found a frieze depicting a fleet sailing between two islands.

There was a terrific museum exhibition "Islands of the winds" about the Minoans, especially about their ships and sailing techniques - good Pdf, only german but you will get the idea(s): Link

Or you can go to Crete for some weeks, and visit Thera/Santorini via ship from Heraclion, for a few days.
Akrotiri is a Member of the European heritage fund, the excavation site has been recently helped financially by Eugene Kaspersky or so i heard.

Going there to avoid a harsh winter is sure a good idea

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 11-28-18 at 06:37 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-18, 07:10 AM   #24
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
^ That is on our list of six possible destinations for next years holiday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Regarding the picture and Santorini.. what can i say. Have been there several times, first time with a geological team along with students from Athens and archeologists. Later we had a lot of fun conducting guided tours about geology and the human settlements of the bronze age, and before. Excavations and history are closely related to the geology of said island.

When you rent a boat (you can see the strata of the several eruptions better from a distance), you can see sharks circling a hundred meters beneath you, and dolphins. Without too much wind the water is chrystal clear, in the crater area. Knowing a bit of its past, and seeing the sun set is pure magic.
It is a rather small island, you can see it all in a week. You can take the way up from the old harbour with the help of a donkey, bathe near the new central volcano in warm if sulphuric seawater, or just enjoy the (black) beach at the south-east coast. Whatever, be sure to visit the archeological site of Akrotiri!
While the island of Crete was the mainland of the Minoans, their heart was Thera, now "Santorini". During excavations at Akrotiri (former port of back-then-Thera) they found a frieze depicting a fleet sailing between two islands.

There was a terrific museum exhibition "Islands of the winds" about the Minoans, especially about their ships and sailing techniques - good Pdf, only german but you will get the idea(s): Link

Or you can go to Crete for some weeks, and visit Thera/Santorini via ship from Heraclion, for a few days.

Akrotiri is a Member of the European heritage fund, the excavation site has been recently helped financially by Eugene Kaspersky or so i heard.

Thanks for the travel tips ... better than trusting a stranger, plus I love the Greek food and the people on this side of the Atlantic are always so vibrate and alive with zeal for life.

The Greek word for enthusiasm is "God is within you"
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-18, 07:57 AM   #25
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Thanks for the travel tips ... better than trusting a stranger, plus I love the Greek food and the people on this side of the Atlantic are always so vibrate and alive with zeal for life.
The Greek word for enthusiasm is "God is within you"

You are welcome; those Minoans, their history and especially their ships and reconstructions are my favourite subject.
I love greek food, too. And I did not know the real meaning of this word in greek, thank you!

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-18, 10:19 AM   #26
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ Niki, they stole this from the Finns. Geordies prefer warm showers

^^ Regarding the picture and Santorini.. what can i say. Have been there several times, first time with a geological team along with students from Athens and archeologists. Later we had a lot of fun conducting guided tours about geology and the human settlements of the bronze age, and before. Excavations and history are closely related to the geology of said island.

Thanks for the info, most interesting

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-18, 01:27 PM   #27
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I think I'll winter here (someday)

Santorini, Greece - Most Beautiful Spots

BE SURE TO BRING TWO GIRLFRIENDS! THEY WON'T CALL IT 'THERA...PY' FER NUTHIN BBY! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Thera

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-18, 05:37 PM   #28
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Yea winter.

Our power just came back on after 11 hours. We are experiencing winds of 44 km/h with gusts up to 72 km/h. Fortunately it is not real cold, 1°C and it didn't snow to much, mostly rain. But that causes other problems. We've had a lot of rain lately and the ground is saturated. We have two sump pumps that work well at keeping the water from flooding our basement which is my daughter and grandsons apt. Of course sump pumps need electricity. So every 45 minutes for 11 hours my wife and I have been going down and bailing out one of the pits and dumping it in the sink. We are hoping that the power stays on but it's still blowing a gale. Fingers crossed.

But I got my internet workin'.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote